Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #1
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

I got this game a couple of days ago. It's actually quite refreshing, a proper, detailed game that feels designed for intelligent people who want a challenge instead of lobotomised console gamers who have somehow got their hands on a PC. There are a couple of niggles, such as allocating industry to different things (you can't lock the bars into place). Also, can anyone tell me how to annex a nation? Becuae I'm playing as the United Kingdom and the Irish are starting to irritate me
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 14-06-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
a1s
Hero Gamer

it actualy says that in the game, but WTH:
In order to annex a nation you must take over it's capital, and key provinces (the ones that cost more than 0 points, with Ireland you can just click on each and see, but for bigger countries use the F6 stats), then go to the "deplomacy" tab, and press annex.

P.S. it's one of the best WWII games I've played, But I liked HOI 1 better, because It had barnched resaerch (I belive in the power of scince, shoot me ), and every research item had a good description- I catualy learned something for a change
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 14-06-2005, 07:06 PM   #3
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Damnit, That's what I was hoping wasn't the case as I'm not currently allowed to declare war on them as they aren't belligerant enough. Hopefully I can annoy them enough to attack them in the near future
Old 14-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
Flop
Hero Gamer

Yeah, it's a really, really good game. I was among those who preordered it, and I just couldn't wait for the mailman to come by.

Have you tried any of the other paradox games? They've made quite a few good ones, I'd especially recommend Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis 2 and Victoria.

And btw, you can right click on the sliders to lock them.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 14-06-2005, 07:19 PM   #5
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Flop@Jun 14 2005, 07:18 PM
And btw, you can right click on the sliders to lock them.
:w00t: Thank you! k:
Old 14-06-2005, 11:22 PM   #6
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I love this game as well. Playing Germany is a hoot and I love playing as the Netherlands and expand the fleet. Build the four battlecruisers we where going to build but never got around to. Build the three aircraft carriers we where going to build after the war but which where cancelled due to budgettary constraints.
Also playing France and actually attacking in September 1939 is a challenge and therefore a lot of fun.

The research is a little limited in HoI2 I agree but it is not enough to subtract from the game. what I would like to see is more diversification among nations. Right now the only difference is the land and sea doctrines. I would like to see more technical differences, maybe some more politics as well.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 15-06-2005, 12:00 AM   #7
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Picard@Jun 15 2005, 12:22 AM
I love this game as well. Playing Germany is a hoot and I love playing as the Netherlands and expand the fleet. Build the four battlecruisers we where going to build but never got around to. Build the three aircraft carriers we where going to build after the war but which where cancelled due to budgettary constraints.
Also playing France and actually attacking in September 1939 is a challenge and therefore a lot of fun.

The research is a little limited in HoI2 I agree but it is not enough to subtract from the game. what I would like to see is more diversification among nations. Right now the only difference is the land and sea doctrines. I would like to see more technical differences, maybe some more politics as well.
My advice is to drop the battlecruisers and stick with the aircraft carriers. The larger ships tend to get obsolete once people start to get better aircraft tech.

I did like the research in HOI better, I must admit, but I'm sure patches are being made at this moment to improve HOI 2's tech tree. One thing I really don't like is the huge negative research modifier from researching future techs. I think it's good that you're not able to tech rush in a specific area, but you kind of lose your historical edge as Germany, when the Russians have tanks as good as yours, three months after you research them.

That said, HOI 2 is superior to the first one in pretty much every other area.
Old 15-06-2005, 09:34 PM   #8
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Battlecruisers are wonderfull for a country like the Netherlands. You need to realize that a medium sized nation like the Netherlands does not have the resources to either get the better carrier designs quickly or to build a lot of large ships quickly.
Those battlecruisers, if sufficiently modern (I build 2 improved and 2 advanced), do a good job of clearing the seas early on. I have sunk a good portion of the Japanese fleet with those four ships. Even early and basic battleships get sunk due to the cruisers larger range.
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 15-06-2005, 11:57 PM   #9
Flop
Hero Gamer

You may be right. I tend to play as Germany, so I usually don't focus too much on my navy. But my experience with the Royal Navy tells me that large ships are fairly easily sunk, once you get some decent airplanes, and since large ships tend to cost lots of IC, they seem to be a bad investment. I don't really know about the situation in South East Asia, though, but I'd imagine that the Japanese aircraft tech is behind the German one.
Old 16-06-2005, 04:18 AM   #10
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The problem with aircraft sinking ships is a historical one. I gather you build quite a lot of sea planes and use them as other use ships. This is a very effective method but not a very historical one.
On the HoI2 forums many people have complained those planes are overpowered and should be toned down. Paradox has replied to this by saying that once you do something ahistorical you get what you bargained for.
Luckily for me the AI keeps things mostly historical.
Btw I defeat the GB Navy as Germany by using submarines and a strong suface fleet and that works like a charm.