Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Your Reviews
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
saibot216
Super Freak

Default Ogre and Stalingrad

So I had Ogre for awhile, but I never really played it until the other day. I said to myself, let's try and figure out this game. So I booted it up, set up my forces and started up a new game. To be quite honest with you, this was the most fun I've ever had playing a military strategy game. I never really liked turn based games until I tried this one. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on until I got into my second game. I don't understand why the editor gave this game a one, sure it doesn't really have a GREAT amount of replayability, but you can always customize the map and the placement of your forces and where your base is. I really dig the icons too, very simple and very cool. I love how you can pick what part of the Ogre you want to attack as well, so you can strategically take out whichever part of the tank you want. For example, you could take out the missiles first, then the treads and sort of have it as this sitting duck, or you could do what I did and take it out down the list of parts you can attack, so by the end the tank was just driving over to my base as my infantry and armor divisions chased it around. I honestly feel like this is one worth checking out, despite what the review says, it managed to get me into tactics/turn based games, which I typically hate. Sure it has replayability issues, but it's a pretty old, primitive game and you can always change up the map and where your forces are placed. I HIGHLY recommend Ogre to anyone.

World At War: Stalingrad
. I decided to get a couple military strategy games after playing Ogre figuring I would be in for the same treat that I got out of those games. With Stalingrad, I feel like I bit off a little more than I could chew. I played two games of it and I still have no idea what to do. It's cool that you can pick different scenarios in Stalingrad, but it's still the same battle. I have no idea why certain enemies won't move, I have no idea why I can't target certain enemies on the map, and despite losing many units and some surrendering the game still says I'm winning, which confuses me even more. When I actually figured out a strategy, the game became a little more fun, but still confusing. I was even reading the manual and I was still lost as to what to do. I'm sure there are seasoned veterans of this game/series that can tell me what I was doing wrong, but it still doesn't help that the game is really confusing to play and get used to. You get 29 turns for a whole campaign before the victor is decided. The victory conditions confuse me to because as the Soviets, we had our backs against the river and the Germans had essentially taken Stalingrad, yet somehow we won. I'm also confused as to why a defensive strategy is always better than an offensive strategy, but I guess the best offense is a good defense. If you want to check out Stalingrad, I say do so with caution for the reasons I listed above, the game as a whole, is really confusing even with two plays and the manual next to me.
saibot216 is offline                         Send a private message to saibot216