Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Your Reviews
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away, there is yet another space game. This time, it's called Captain Comic. The main character, Captain Comic, spends his time trying to help the inhabitants of a planet. In the first game, he has to do this by collecting three treasures; in the second one, he has to go to six different alternate realities to collect six power crystals that were taken from the planet's temple. Armed with his Blastola Cola, he goes on his quest.

Playing these games is fairly simple. They are early platformers, so the controls are easy to comprehend. If you don't, then there's still the possibility of remapping them. The games themselves are something you need to get used to, but once you are, they're enjoyable. The Captain Comic games have some little quirks. For example, you can't save your game in the first one, and there aren't any passwords to take you directly to higher levels, so you must always start at the beginning. In the second game, you can save, but when you restore the game, your number of lives resets to the default, and you will have to start at the beginning of that level. But although it might sound annoying, it actually adds challenge to the games, making you less lazy and forcing you to try harder.

The looks of the games are typically end-of-the-eighties. EGA colors and tiles that are laid out form these games. Nonetheless, they look fine for their time. Captain Comic himself is a blueshirted guy with a big helmet on, seemingly an ancient version of Commander Keen. Some enemies might seem to be hidden, as it's 16-color green on 16-color green, for example, but that makes you more alert all the time. Don't ever let them surprise you.

Overall, the Captain Comic games are good games for their time and are certainly worth playing, if not for the games themselves, then because they're classics with near-cult status.

Kon-Tiki

Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 27-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
Cloudy
Game freak

I only ever played the first Captain Comic game, I was very young at the time and it was very hard. I always remember it though, the part where you go to the moon was great. I remember getting past the moon base one time, but I don't think I ever got much further than that. It is very hard, very tricky to shoot or avoid some of the enemies. Maybe I should give it another shot sometime.
Cloudy is offline                         Send a private message to Cloudy