Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-10-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
Spongecake SquarePan

Hi. I am using Dosbox, and I cannot get the game Blackstar to work with sound! For the life of me, I have tried the instructions. I open dosbox, then I open fm.exe, then i go into Blakstar.exe, and then when it asks for what sound I choose option 3, soundcard, and nope, no sound at all! Is there anyone that has played this game nice enough to help?

Old 24-10-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Does the game offer you a choice of soundcard? Set it to the hightest Sound Blaster version available. IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-10-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
Spongecake SquarePan

QUOTE(The Fifth Horseman @ Oct 24 2007, 07:44 AM) [snapback]317130[/snapback]
Quote:
Does the game offer you a choice of soundcard? Set it to the hightest Sound Blaster version available. IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220.
[/b]
\

No it does not. I go to FM.exe as instructed, and it automatically configures it. I suppose, since I dont have a soundblaster, I will not be able to hear it. The instructions say to put the soundblaster config into my autoexec.bat

when I go to EDIT AUTOEXEC.BAT I am told it is only a read only file... and it cannot be edited. I cannot find my autoexec.bat file in windows, I don't know where I'd start with vista

Old 24-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

QUOTE(Spongecake SquarePan @ Oct 24 2007, 08:59 AM) [snapback]317136[/snapback]
Quote:
when I go to EDIT AUTOEXEC.BAT I am told it is only a read only file... and it cannot be edited. I cannot find my autoexec.bat file in windows, I don't know where I'd start with vista
[/b]
Windows' Autoexec.bat has nothing to do with the one used by DOSBox. It automatically sets the appropriate system variables for Sound Blaster and runs any extra commands in the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-10-2007, 06:26 AM   #5
Spongecake SquarePan

QUOTE(The Fifth Horseman @ Oct 24 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]317142[/snapback]
Quote:
QUOTE(Spongecake SquarePan @ Oct 24 2007, 08:59 AM) [snapback]317136[/snapback]
Quote:
[/b]
Windows' Autoexec.bat has nothing to do with the one used by DOSBox. It automatically sets the appropriate system variables for Sound Blaster and runs any extra commands in the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf
[/b][/quote]

Okay. Thank you for that information. I am now playing the game, I still don't have the sound; that's all right. it's still playable without it, but now--now-- i have run into a gamekilling error:

OKAY
One episode 2, when I go to turn off the lights in Blackstar's apartment, I am given an error that reads:
UNKNOWN COMMAND AT LINE 921 PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE

First of all, where's the any key?
And second, this is disasterous, because I cannot continue the game because of a software error
I don't know what to do Please explain :wallbash:

Old 25-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #6
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

QUOTE(Spongecake SquarePan @ Oct 25 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]317202[/snapback]
Quote:
First of all, where's the any key?[/b]
LOL was this joke? cause if it was, it was good one and if no then it was even more hillarious

try redownloading the game, the whole unzipped zip has 4 476 038 bytes. or if you have misconfigured your sound (you say it doesnt work), pick no sound and see if you still get the same error. oh and check file read only properties, that can sometimes cause some trouble
Old 25-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
Spongecake SquarePan

QUOTE(_r.u.s.s. @ Oct 25 2007, 10:29 AM) [snapback]317221[/snapback]
Quote:
QUOTE(Spongecake SquarePan @ Oct 25 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]317202[/snapback]
Quote:
First of all, where's the any key?[/b]
LOL was this joke? cause if it was, it was good one and if no then it was even more hillarious

try redownloading the game, the whole unzipped zip has 4 476 038 bytes. or if you have misconfigured your sound (you say it doesnt work), pick no sound and see if you still get the same error. oh and check file read only properties, that can sometimes cause some trouble
[/b][/quote]

Thank you. I appreciate your response. I shall do so.