Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-06-2007, 02:08 AM   #21
Eva02Soul
Game freak

I just read the releases. That was a seriously messed up event. I think the WWE should make severe, strict crackdowns and psyche tests for their clients, especially considering the increased fatality count of recent years. (Say, from 2002 onwards)
Eva02Soul is offline                         Send a private message to Eva02Soul
Old 27-06-2007, 02:25 AM   #22
punch999
The true Shadow President

Only 2 people in the employ of the WWE have died in that time period. This isn't just a wwe problem. This is a TNA problem, This is a problem for the indies. This is a problem for everybody. And everybody needs to start thinking about what is up and how we might be able to reduce the suicide rate.

And the suicide rate is a HUGE problem just this year Mike awesome has died from hanging himself. Bam Bam Bigelow OD'd On coke. And although Sherri Martell didn't Directly commit suicide. She has been a rampant drug and alcohol user for many years. Although vince is a great target for this he is as much to blame as Ian rotten,Jerry Jarret,Mad Man pondo.Gabe Spolsky and anyone else. Don't blame the WWE. Just try to find a solution everyone can easily implement and cheaply use. And make the system Open source per se so that if Gabe or Ian or any other indie promoter can use it they can too.

Dictionary.
Jerry Jarret=Owner Of TNA wrestling
Ian Rotten= IWA-MS owner
Gabe Spolsky = ROH owner
Mad Man pondo = IWA-EC owner
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Old 27-06-2007, 05:09 AM   #23
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Weird, sad and disturbing.

I wonder what the toxicology/autopsy report will say about him... Although I'm not wondering too much, I'm not that morbid.

*goes back to watching the UFC*
Old 27-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #24
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Shocking....totally shocking.

And surprisingly, they DID found some steriods from his home. Anabolic. The last time Benoit was tested was on April 10th.

Im still not going to "declare" anything yet until the autopsy.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 27-06-2007, 08:34 AM   #25
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I don't think it's much to declare really. I'm sure their relatives would appreciate getting a break from all theories right now. Let the coppers and the coroner handle this, and f**k any media gorging themselves on all the dirty details. I'ts none of our business.

BUT: IF steroids were to blame, I hope people will start take notice that steroids are NEVER good for you. Period. Unfortunately, I don't really believe many people could care less. Soon we get all the usual excuses: He was a maniac, I can take it, and so on. I don't think many, if any, will learn.
Old 27-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #26
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(#Alex# @ Jun 27 2007, 01:58 AM) [snapback]296574[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I am sorry for defending such a sick individual and was just trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.
[/b]
That's understandable Alex. You were obviously a fan. Benoit put up a great show (at least from what I remember him in the past) and I too had quite a lot of respect for him as a preformer. But that's just what this industry does to you!

I remember wrestling back in the eighties, where there were about 4 main events in the whole year and the rest were just show off matches (sometimes a few half-stars would fight among eachother though), where a superstar (let's say Hogan, Savage, Andre the Giant,...) wouldn't even appear (except maybe for an interview and it would be some potential chalenger (Big Boss Man, Mr. Perfect, Tito Santana,...) who'd fight against a person that was sure to loose (Jim Powers, The Genious, Barry Horowitz...). They could perform at 40%-50% and the crowd was content and at big events (like Wrestlemania or Survival Series) they gave that much more, but even there they were really pushed to the limit.

Compare this to today's wrestling (20 years later). Every week there's a major event (usually on Monday nights). There are very few fights where wrestlers can get away with showing less then 100%. It got way more physical. The matches last longer, there are more throws, twists, falls, collisions... Even though they're not really fighting eachother (after all a well aimed dropkick to the face would at least break your nose - no matter how strong you are) it's physical and it does hurt. The body suffers.

Also compare the bodies of wrestlers now and then! The Mighty Hercules was one of the buffest wrestlers some 20 years ago. Those might have even been real muscles, but most wrestlers never were buff! Just look at guys like Hacksaw Jim Dugan, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Hillbilly Jim, Bad News Brown, The Brokly Brawler... Yes, they were bigger then an average Joe, but they weren't buff. That started later on and that's an added strain. You either have to workout non stop or take some body messing substances. And now imagine two physical matches per week and five days of hard training. The body simply doesn't have the time to recuperate. So they don't relax anymore, they just want to get away. No wonder more and more drugs are there (it usually starts with the pain killers and ends with heavy duty narcotics - which knock out the pain and get you high).

So why do they do it?

If they wouldn't the profit would dissapear. I seriously can't imagine crowds getting excited about 3 minut matches where they see two dropkicks, a clothesline and a body slam, followed by a trademark move and the match is over. It's the fans that demand more action, more brutality, more pain for the wrestlers, more endurance... and the ones who an supply it (usually the ones who take illegal substances) are the ones who are demanded the most (which causes them to use even more of such substances). It's a vicious circle with no clear way out. The only alternative to this might be cruserweights, but then you'll get a bunch of 16-24 year kids who'll give it all they can, but will get crippled by the time they reach 25 (the backbone, the knees... they all can't remain unharmed with so much body abuse). Which again isn't good. And when they would finally make the breakthrough to become major stars, they'd have to retire. Wrestling is in for the crises.

And unfortunately I don't see them really start fighting the usage of illegal substances in the wrestling. It's the only thing that can make thier wrestles tick for so long and so much. Without it, they'll loose their stars - or their shows will have to take a major step back.

Why do you think stars of the past had so many gimmicks (snakes, clowns, shiny glasses, tearing of the shirts, stunt rods, cuffs...)? IT was the gimmicks that made people watch them and they took the attention off the match, so the matches didn't have to be at 100%. That simply can't happen today anymore.

And again, don't worry about protecting the guy. After all, everybody is innocent until proven guilty (according tot he law), so you really were only giving him the benefit of the doubt and weren't defending a savage killer.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 27-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #27
punch999

I don't watch WWE much although I knew that benoit was a very respected individual and he had a huge amount of skills. I watch the smaller stuff where you get nice 1 hour matchs which show EVERYTHING and tell a nice story.
Old 29-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #28
punch999

New thing that was posted on wikipedia and it is pretty interesting.

Nancy Benoits death was reported on wikipedia 14 hours before anyone knew about her being dead.

Maybe it was a frame up?
Old 29-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #29
Himmler
Trollmaster General

keep telling yourself that :P
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 29-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #30
punch999

Don't be an behind.

And they found the girl who posted it and she says it was a misinterpretation of some wrestling news sites.

There are girls who read wrestling news sites?