Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: What is your Social Networking site?
Facebook 5 17.86%
Bebo 0 0%
Myspace 4 14.29%
Other 3 10.71%
None 8 28.57%
Abandonia is the only Neworking site for ME 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2008, 01:14 AM   #21
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
What matters is that, had I gave any personal information on that site (and most people do), anyone could find out virtually everything about me. How I look, what are my interests, what's my birthday, where I live what I like to do...etc
This is no different from the info we can get from your own account right here on Abandonia you know...

Quote:
Think about it, these sites are the Canaan for advertising companies, because they can do all sorts of things with those informations, personal informations you gave out WILLINGLY.
That's why I have an internet handle you know. I don't sport the name "Eagle of Fire" in real life.

And before you ask... Yeah, Eagle of Fire is the name I've entered in my Facebook profile. :amused:
Old 07-10-2008, 03:26 AM   #22
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you." :laugh: Lovely. I do believe that's Post of the Day!

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 07-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #23
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playbahnosh View Post
Last year, a girl called me on the phone,
That's just the reason for which I subscribed to a social network! :thumbs:
Is there really something bad, in new girls calling you?
Old 07-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #24
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

if somebody really wanted to go after you, deleting your net accounts wouldn't help you
Old 07-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #25
Japo
Autonomous human

L0L Quinto you hit the nail on the head! LOL

So the moral of the story is that anybody will be able to learn info that you've broadcast all around yourself? No shit. And yet the very aim of these sites is for others (most times as many as possible) to learn your info (not all not your credit card data just what you want). So...
Old 07-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #26
Sturmrabe

Quote:
At first I signed up to a few of these sites, but I started to delete my registrations lately. These social networking sites are not called "the poor man's CIA" for no reason :notrust:

Last year, a girl called me on the phone, and asked for some notes for a class I took. We talked a few times in and after class, but I didn't really know her, and I most certainly didn't gave her my number. I asked her how on Earth did she get it (I'm pretty secretive about it), and she said "I didn't know your name, so I asked some guy if he knows who you are, and he did. So I went to IWIW (local Facebook), looked up your name, and saw you have a profile, but no contact info listed... so I looked at your friends list, and it turns out, one of your friends lives in the same dorm as me, so I went over, and asked for your number."

From that day on, I started to systematically disclude myself from such pages.
But did you hit it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post

That's why I have an internet handle you know. I don't sport the name "Eagle of Fire" in real life.

And before you ask... Yeah, Eagle of Fire is the name I've entered in my Facebook profile. :amused:
Yeah, if you google my real name you won't get much... google Sturmrabe and OMGWTF!
Sturmrabe is offline                         Send a private message to Sturmrabe
Old 08-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #27
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

Right. Google my read name, and you'll find a hungarian judo wrestler who won lotsa trophies and stuff like that, obviously not me. So having a very famous alter-ego is better than "no matcher found"

Other than that, yeah, the goal of these social sites is to share info about yourself, and wait for other people to get interested in you(, you miserable, lonely freak, you). But the fact still stands, that by going around and piecing together these bits of information, some people can get hella lot of info about you that, in the wrong hands, can mean your life's utter destruction. I'm a "better safe than sorry" kinda guy.

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 09-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #28
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Other than that, yeah, the goal of these social sites is to share info about yourself, and wait for other people to get interested in you(, you miserable, lonely freak, you).
That is just one reason to use a social network: I'm using it (with success) to find some good old friends of the good old times and to find them make me very happy.