Fallout 2 20 14.49%
Planescape: Torment 13 9.42%
Mario RPG's (huh?) 6 4.35%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2005, 02:59 PM   #301
Kearnsy
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy+Oct 1 2005, 02:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Blood-Pigggy @ Oct 1 2005, 02:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Sep 30 2005, 04:55 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Blood-Pigggy
Quote:
@Sep 30 2005, 11:45 PM
Impossible, that cannot define a roleplaying game.

That's pretty definitive !

But i'll agree that Diablo uses (and abuses) RPG elements like character building. But it's no more RPG Than heroes of Might and Magic.
Abuses?
You sir, have no respect for games whatsoever.
If I at this moment starting playing Diablo II and created a new character, I could only choose from a preset class, with preset starting items, but I give him a NAME, I give him EQUIPMENT, I DEVELOP him in any way I choose.
As far as I see it, you're point has no good reasoning behind it, the only reason you don't believe Diablo II as a RPG is because you are in spite of it.

Oh sure, you click alot, but that's a GAME mechanic, you can't expect them to want to make another DnD or some other crappy game. Blizzard wanted to make a RPG that was FUN, and now for a good reason they accomplished, and people enjoy it everyday, in fact, tens of thousands of them do. [/b][/quote]
Wooo go get em Piggy!!! :Brain: :Brain:

I’m whole heartedly with you on this one!!!
In my opinion RPG no longer means role playing game.
When I see it I think about character building and I think that this is shown in games like Deus Ex which are thought of as FPS/RPG.
In this game you do just about as much role playing as and First person shooter i.e. Golden eye, but because you add to stats and alter your character to your liking it is dubbed an RGP.

...Well that’s my opinion
Kearnsy is offline                         Send a private message to Kearnsy
Old 01-10-2005, 03:59 PM   #302
Toxik
Game Wizzard

im one of the many that dont think that Diablo IS a RPG
for me Rpg still means roleplaying game and stat building is not the main thing in it
Deus Ex..though it wasnt RPG at all,it had good,story,you could select which "way" to go
and it gave feeling that you are in that and thats about rpg should be
sorry but clik..clik..clik..clik..clikclikclick isnt my favourite genre
(i played diablo when i was younger and quite enjoyed it,but now whenrever i see somebody playing it it looks incredibly dumb)
Toxik is offline                         Send a private message to Toxik
Old 01-10-2005, 04:05 PM   #303
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

And here it comes into view.
Remember when in my earlier posts I said that some people don't think it's a RPG because it's so simple?
There you go.
Toxik, there's no way it can't be a RPG, as I've said before, the clicking is a game mechanic, it has nothing to do with the genre, I think you say that RPGs HAVE to be in a certain league, i.e. they have to be like Baldur's Gate or Fallout, and just because it isn't like those, it can't fit into the genre.
Deus Ex IS a RPG, there is no denying it. If the game had an overhead perspective, then damn, it would be exactly like an RPG. You create a character (Stats, name, etc.) you make choices on your path, you talk with NPCs and your character develops on how you want him to develop (be evil, good, etc.) If that's not roleplaying, then I don't know what is.

So far, no one has any good reasons to accuse Diablo or any other game of not fitting into the genre of RPG.
I just think you guys don't really understand the definition of an RPG.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 01-10-2005, 07:06 PM   #304
Toxik
Game Wizzard

And the definition is?
I think its about playing a role.or feeling like you play one,that you can change something.Diablo has only one preset way to go
Toxik is offline                         Send a private message to Toxik
Old 01-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #305
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The definition of RPG...
That can only be described in one way.
We must dissect the game.

-------------- Diablo and You----------------

Hey, I wanna play Diablo 2! Let's see here.... Which class should I choose? I like spells, but I don't want to be completely weak... A Necromancer would do fine!
(At this point the player chooses a character suited to him)

What should I name him? Mmm... Boobles sounds good, I like that name.
(The player connects with his new character)

Loading... ah... I have no equipment and only one skill.
(Here the player realizes that he's going to have to develop his character)

Hullo... this "Warriv" wants to speak to me, I'll go chat to all the townspeople.
(The player interacts with NPCs learning of the word and some of the other essentials)

Warriv told me to go to Akara to get a quest... I should listen.
(The player identifies with the NPC and understands him, therefore building towards a better understanding of the game world and the direction one needs to go in)

The Den of Evil? That's somewhere in the Blood Moore...
(The player identifies areas of the game, letting him see the world as it is)

Walking around outside.... Mmm... A zombie!
(The player encounters a monster, his first confrontation, this eases him in)

Yeah! I killed him! Let's see what "Summon Skeleton" does to his body.
(The character experiments with his skills, after discovering the effects, he searches around in the skill tree, and then decides what his future decision will be, deciding which skills he should develop later on.)

I levelled! Let me see... Teeth looks like it might help.
(The player takes the first step towards changing his character, he now becomes more attatched to the certain player.)

Etc.

Those are all elements of roleplaying, the definition of roleplaying is playing a ROLE and then DEVELOPING that role, that's why FPS games or ACTION games can't be RPGs, you are playing a role, but you are not developing that role.

That's what a RPG is.
If you don't believe me, then you must understand that D&D invented the system, and the pure essence of D&D is in fact, developing your character.

My Site -
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 01-10-2005, 08:19 PM   #306
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

I only realised this now.
Question: No Arcanum??? :eeeeeh:
Vote qoes to that.
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 01-10-2005, 08:33 PM   #307
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Guys, Diablo 2 is an Action RPG. RPG is a very large genre and encompasses games like Diablo and like ADOM or Planescape: Torment.

And I know I said Planescape Torment eariler and it is a very good game, I now give my backing to Fallout 2 as the best RPG ever.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 01-10-2005, 08:40 PM   #308
Lonely Vazdru
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy@Oct 1 2005, 09:35 PM
That's what a RPG is.
If you don't believe me, then you must understand that D&D invented the system, and the pure essence of D&D is in fact, developing your character.
Well to you a RPG is all about character development, i don't agree on that. I think character development is a big part of RPG but not the whole of it, as i said interacting with the story is as much important as improving your stats. And there is the alignement thing too. In Diablo there is no evil path, you can only do the right thing so paladins and necromancers dance to the same tune. This hardly qualify as RPG to me. You may not agree with that but i'm not the only person who sees Diablo as an action game with RPG elements. It's not an insult, and i don't despise the game, i like it alot (both of them by the way). So cool it down a bit there ! You react as if you were the guy who developped the game all by himself and overeacts over everything that's said about it. The things i said were not even criticism for god's sake, just the genre i think it belongs to.
Lonely Vazdru is offline                         Send a private message to Lonely Vazdru
Old 01-10-2005, 09:58 PM   #309
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

A interactive story is a interactive fiction.
Text-based games.
In Diablo, you do interact with the story, just in a more linear manner.

My Site -
Old 02-10-2005, 07:48 AM   #310
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

I choose Final Fantasy! Whoops, not there.