Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-10-2007, 12:13 PM   #61
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

@doublejack & dosraider: I didn't want to create panic with my assertion about Ubuntu, but now with Linux I'm feeling safe.

Well, with windows I had to run about 5 programs (Antivirus, Antispyware, Antimalware, Firewall)...my machine was suffering like a little car with 5 fat men inside.
And everyday there was a new problem or a new virus to combat with.
Personally I have to say that Linux isn't immediate to use and to understand, but I never had problems until now.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:58 PM   #62
dosraider
Dismembered.

Panic? ....Panic?....
Naaaaa, just a little discussion, that's all.
And Linuxes are safier, that's a fact.
But not invulnerable.

In fact the greatest risk aren't the pro_hackers when you're on Linux, it is those idiot pubers who are bored and snuffing around to find a random unprotected Linux PC.

Oh, I'm out of here ...... this is an endless discussion anyway.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 07-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #63
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

I think for either pc, linux, or macs, the main idea is that you just be careful around the net, don't go to any questionable sites, and if you are unsure about a site when searching, skip it, and even just a once a week scan virus wise and spyware wise or even every two weeks, shall keep things in check.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 07-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #64
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

curious people have more experience :P
Old 07-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #65
dosraider
Dismembered.

Curious people have more really weird cyberpron experiences.
:blink:

Corrected. Yep. That's better.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 07-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #66
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

*checks for spyware on his messengers*
Old 21-11-2007, 11:18 AM   #67
Japo
Autonomous human

Thumbs up Hear ye hear ye

The new version of Comodo Firewall is out.

http://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcom...4362#msg104362

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

Pretty impressive actually. Arguably the best firewall and the best HIPS, for free and low on resources usage. You may not want to install the HIPS ("Defense+") if you like set-and-forget, but it will give you extra security and it's pretty intelligent and less noisy than other HIPS.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 23-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #68
nedela

Ups....

Yeah defence+ keeps on checking the files... I disabeled it. but there is still too many messages popping up (maybe it's just cause it's new).

as for firewall i don't like how the changed the list of programs where you give them internet access. it looks a bit messier now.

Also does Comodo now recognise Skype, YahooMessanger etc by itself or did i mess up with setting and give him permission to allow all? :-O

still a nice firewall with plenty of features for FREE.
nedela is offline                         Send a private message to nedela
Old 23-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #69
Japo
Autonomous human

It all depends on the settings. The default ones after a default installation are designed to make it less noisy. Even the HIPS, since those are remarkable for their noisiness. But true not everybody will want a HIPS even a not so noisy one, although it adds a great deal of security for the paranoid out there. You can opt out the HIPS during installation.

The default setting for the firewall is "train with safe mode". In this setting it allows (and remembers creating rules) for programs within Comodo's database of "safe" ones. If you want the traditional, noisier setting where you're asked about every new access, change the setting to "custom policy mode". Also there's a "training mode" which you can select temporarily so you don't have to deal with popups, it allows and remembers for every new access, so it's designed to be selected when you're certain that only legit acesses will take place, so that the rules are created automatically and you don't have to worry about it.

The HIPS, since it's more likely to overwhelm a user with popups, has an additional setting between "train with safe mode" and "training mode", called "clean PC mode". It's like "train with safe" only that all the programs installed in your computer before CFP was installed, scanned at the time of installation, are considered safe, not only the ones in Comodo's database. So if your computer was already clean when you installed CFP, this setting will keep it that way the same that the "train with safe mode", and you will be asked only about newly installed programs. Also when you run an installer you can answer the popup by "treating as installer", then you're asked if you want to temporarily switch to "installing mode", then the installed files will be trusted in the future; after a while CFP prompts for you to swtich back from installing mode.

Another nice feature of Defense+ (the HIPS) is that it can protect programs from termination, since many malware try to kill your antivirus before they attack elsewhere. So you no longer must rely on each and every of your security programs to be strong against maliciuos termination, you can make D+ defend them all. It also can defend important files and the Windows registry from malicious modification.

But if you're interested about how it works and its full features you should read its help file, it's very informative.

Last edited by Japo; 23-11-2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typos
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 23-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #70
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by David86 View Post
Well, with windows I had to run about 5 programs (Antivirus, Antispyware, Antimalware, Firewall)...my machine was suffering like a little car with 5 fat men inside.
And everyday there was a new problem or a new virus to combat with.
i run xp with about 0 programs and my machine is all right like little baby with 5 fat breasts feeding it outside :P

(and default firewall off as well)
_r.u.s.s. is offline                         Send a private message to _r.u.s.s.