Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-05-2011, 04:48 AM   #21
Sgt_V3n0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
...There are a number of solutions that require different amounts of work. I would vote for using Russ's script, advising that in Vista and higher it's necessary to right-click and "run as administrator" instead of just double-clicking. (Or if in XP as limited user, "run as..." and selecting an admin account.) Surely that isn't too much to ask.

I tried Russ's script, and it correctly registered my disk drive, yet I still can't run the game. T-T Again, I'm using Win 7 64 bit.
Sgt_V3n0m is offline                         Send a private message to Sgt_V3n0m
Old 19-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #22
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Can you make a screenshot of your registry at the directory Installer (Alt+PrtScn to copy the window, MSPaint or other picture editor to paste it) and post it here? Perhaps also give an overview of your drives.

Also, you could download the Rollcage patch here and execute it. It won't work (just cancel it), but perhaps add necessary registry entries. Just a shot in the dark, though.
Old 19-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #23
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_V3n0m View Post
I tried Russ's script, and it correctly registered my disk drive, yet I still can't run the game. T-T Again, I'm using Win 7 64 bit.
Thanks for the OS info. Try copying that registry information from
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Psygnosis\Rollcage\Installer
to
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432node\Psygnosis\Rollcage\Installer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896459

Please report back whether it works or not, so we add this to the script.

Last edited by Japo; 19-05-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: typo "Ins taller"
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 19-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #24
Unregistered2000k
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post

Please report back whether it works or not, so we add this to the script.

Yes it works perfect now, under Win7 64Bit. thx, thx.

Old 19-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #25
Sgt_V3n0m

Talking

Quote:
...Please report back whether it works or not, so we add this to the script.
IT WORKS!! Thanks man, finally I get to play my favourite racing game when I was a child.

Sgt_V3n0m is offline                         Send a private message to Sgt_V3n0m
Old 19-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #26
Japo
Autonomous human

(Russ you know what to do. :P You can make the script guess if the OS is x86 or x64, although writing both registry keys on every system, x86 or x64, is perfectly fine too.)
Old 20-05-2011, 04:03 AM   #27
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

dude, i have no idea how to figure out if someone is running 64 bit. can you try it? or just write both of the registries on every system? my upload sucks and re-uploading would take another massive amount of time
Old 20-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #28
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

Quote:
Russ you know what to do. :P You can make the script guess if the OS is x86 or x64, although writing both registry keys on every system, x86 or x64, is perfectly fine too.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
dude, i have no idea how to figure out if someone is running 64 bit. can you try it? or just write both of the registries on every system?
Why not make the script ASK it?
"Do you have a 64bit or 32bit OS?"

Also I think writing both values on a 32bit system can cause trouble.
(since 32bit systems don't do 64bit)
While on 64bit systems both fields are necessary to be filled if I'm correct.

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO
Old 20-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #29
Japo
Autonomous human

Yes we could make the script ask the user, although it would make more sense asking about the drive letter. If you think about it, now that x64 is slowly but surely replacing the legacy x86 (32-bit), quite many people will be using the former, without ever knowing the existence of the two.

By the way, the script detects a CD drive, but if there are more than one, or for example the game CD is in a virtual mount different from the real CD, it may not work. It could be modified to look for a file that we know should be in the game CD.

I don't know either right off the bat how to detect the OS architecture, with a cmd script only that is. There's a Windows environment variable %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% that must inform about the hardware, but oddly enough there's none that informs about the OS, which is the only thing that matters to us (since x64 processors can have a x86 OS installed, and the long mode remains always unused; actually most PC processors are x64 since long ago, even if most of them are running x86 OSes).

There's also for example a %ProgramFiles(x86)% environment variable along with the usual %ProgramFiles%, that exists on a x64 Windows but not in a x86 one.

But on the other hand there's no harm in writing both keys. On x86 systems the "WOW6432node" name has no special meaning--it's as if there was a program or software manufacturer named like that. Keys in that particular part of the registry are read only by the same programs that write them, so it would just stay there with no effect on the system.

On x64 systems only one key is necessary, the one in HKLM\SW\WOW6432node\, because the game is a x86 program (actually from a time where x64 didn't even exist), that is run though WOW64 and sees the registry through the redirection described in the Microsoft KB article. If there were both x86 and x64 versions of the same program, each would need only one of the two registry keys.

Because the purpose of this redirection and the specially named "WOW6432node" parent key (as well as the %ProgramFiles% and %ProgramFiles(x86)% folders) is to allow x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit) versions of the same program to be installed on the same x64 OS side by side, and having independent registry keys.

Last edited by Japo; 21-05-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: typo
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 21-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #30
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Quote:
By the way, the script detects a CD drive, but if there are more than one, or for example the game CD is in a virtual mount different from the real CD, it may not work. It could be modified to look for a file that we know should be in the game CD.
Uhm, the game files aren't on a CD. The game should work with any CD drive.