Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #21
Surgeon
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthro View Post
I've seen the trailer, and I have to say it's very unimpressive.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/

It'll be decent enough I suppose, I doubt he's made a turkey. I also expect it to be successful, but not Titanic successful.

I just don't see anything that's going to be so amazing, so revolutionary, that it will change the way we look at cinema.

Now, you may think I'm being unkind, but this is the level of hype that is being pushed for this thing. I get the feeling they've overshot, and should expect a hype backlash.

On the plus side, I think my local cinema has shelled out for some 3D equipment, so I may actually be able to see it as intended, since I've yet to see any of these new-fangled 3D films. (even though 3D films have been around since the fifties.)
You definitely are unkind. James Cameron would feel very hurt.
Surgeon is offline                         Send a private message to Surgeon
Old 09-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #22
Panthro
Man of Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgeon View Post
You definitely are unkind. James Cameron would feel very hurt.

Hmm... You're right! I never considered the multimillionaire James Cameron's feelings. Perhaps I should write him a letter of apology?

Mind you, I have recently got myself a nifty stereoscopic 3D gaming kit, so I'm not against this new 3D stuff entirely...
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro
Old 09-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #23
Surgeon
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Hmm... You're right! I never considered the multimillionaire James Cameron's feelings. Perhaps I should write him a letter of apology?

Mind you, I have recently got myself a nifty stereoscopic 3D gaming kit, so I'm not against this new 3D stuff entirely...
Just let me direct you at this:

I'm just trying to note that it is impossible that thousands of people across the world, including people much more wealthier than James Cameron (Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, George Lucas,...), have all been bribed to give the image that Avatar is not only worthy of all this hype, but vastly underestimated. I also think that it is hardly possible that all of them are wrong.

Mind you, there is not a single individual of those thousands, not even one, which shows skepticism... Therefore, no, I do not understand your own.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #24
Panthro
Man of Science

Well, I never said I was against it, nor did I say it would flop.

I suggested it wouldn't live up to the hype, and we have yet to see if it will.

Those videos just showed that people are amazed by the technology, not by the story, not by the acting, just the 3D.

It may very well be the best use of 3D in cinema to date, but that still won't impress me unless he can put together a good film to go with it.

I found the third video the best though, it had far more thought on the film as a whole, rather than just the technology.

However, there were three quotes in particular I would mention.

"I never thought the storyline for jurassic park was all that great, but seeing those dinosaurs was amazing"

This was the impact the 15min Avatar 3D trailer had on him, that the CGI/3D is as advanced past current film as those dinosaurs were at that point in the 90s. This also highlights my concern for the story of Avatar, is this just a feature-length tech demo?

"I can't piece together a lot of the narrative"

Again, concerns for the story, despite the exceedingly high praise for the technological side.

"not a movie I would see... by a regular TV [or other] method"

Is this high quality 3D so important that it would be no good for DVD and TV showings? DVD sales are how the vast majority of films make their money.

I would imagine there is a good chance he's made a "Titanic" of a film. For Cameron, that would mean another success, and a good shout for an oscar or two. For me, that would be a disappointment, as I wouldn't want to watch Titanic more than the once (I have tried to watch it again on TV, but wondered what I'd seen in it the first time).

[edit] totally forgot to mention about one of my pet hates of the CGI film industry, which apparently occurs in this film. See further at TV tropes: Ink Suit Actor.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #25
Surgeon
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Well, I never said I was against it, nor did I say it would flop.

I suggested it wouldn't live up to the hype, and we have yet to see if it will.

Those videos just showed that people are amazed by the technology, not by the story, not by the acting, just the 3D.

It may very well be the best use of 3D in cinema to date, but that still won't impress me unless he can put together a good film to go with it.

I found the third video the best though, it had far more thought on the film as a whole, rather than just the technology.

However, there were three quotes in particular I would mention.

"I never thought the storyline for jurassic park was all that great, but seeing those dinosaurs was amazing"

This was the impact the 15min Avatar 3D trailer had on him, that the CGI/3D is as advanced past current film as those dinosaurs were at that point in the 90s. This also highlights my concern for the story of Avatar, is this just a feature-length tech demo?

"I can't piece together a lot of the narrative"

Again, concerns for the story, despite the exceedingly high praise for the technological side.

"not a movie I would see... by a regular TV [or other] method"

Is this high quality 3D so important that it would be no good for DVD and TV showings? DVD sales are how the vast majority of films make their money.

I would imagine there is a good chance he's made a "Titanic" of a film. For Cameron, that would mean another success, and a good shout for an oscar or two. For me, that would be a disappointment, as I wouldn't want to watch Titanic more than the once (I have tried to watch it again on TV, but wondered what I'd seen in it the first time).

[edit] totally forgot to mention about one of my pet hates of the CGI film industry, which apparently occurs in this film. See further at TV tropes: Ink Suit Actor.
We can't talk about things we don't know close to anything about.

The preview begins with James Cameron describing the advanced technology and the 21st century and all, and then notes he will show a total of 4 (though not fully complete) scenes from his project, which follow it. Judging that Avatar might end up as a impressive visual but poor film e.g. Chronicles of Riddick is baseless, at least for now. It would be same as claiming The Hobbit would be (a) bad film(s).

Also, if you're in for some serious review of the Avatar Day, check out:

http://uk.movies.ign.com/dor/objects..._26082009.html
Old 11-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #26
aarne
Lucifer

I was too lazy to read what it is...
What is avatar???
<T-Wolf> ya, why man?
<RdAwG20> lol, just wondering, was her namne alisson?
<T-Wolf> you mother f*cker
aarne is offline                         Send a private message to aarne
Old 11-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #27
Surgeon
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarne View Post
I was too lazy to read what it is...
What is avatar???
Rofl.

A most-expected film of today and the biggest film project in the history of the filming industry.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #28
Panthro
Man of Science

Also worth noting that it's James Cameron's next big thing, which he hopes will change cinema forever.

It also shouldn't be confused with "The Last Airbender", which is a completely different film based on a cartoon or somesuch. It's actually quite amazing over these past months how many times I've seen the two mistaken for each other... particularly by people who don't want to skim through a topic.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:35 PM   #29
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgeon View Post
Rofl.

A most-expected film of today and the biggest film project in the history of the filming industry.
and why is it so much expected? does it produce smell or what?
Old 28-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #30
Surgeon
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
and why is it so much expected? does it produce smell or what?
Because of the revolutionary 3D technology.

Think of it as the expectations of The Wizard of Oz.

Oh and here's the cam trailer:

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00028394.html

Last edited by Surgeon; 29-10-2009 at 06:00 AM.