Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-01-2007, 12:49 AM   #51
thatmexicanguy
Game freak

You could try looking for a manual on www.replacementdocs.com

Great platformer, though. It kinda' reminds me of a futuristic Warcraft, or even the Warhammer 40k universe.
thatmexicanguy is offline                         Send a private message to thatmexicanguy
Old 27-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #52
KWDEMON

I cant get dosbox to make it run eaither??

Old 29-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #53
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Without knowing what you have exactly done and what specifically is the problem, we cannot help you.
Until you post more detailed information about your problem, I can only refer you to this FAQ.

Please post a more detailed description of your problem including any and all error messages you encountered.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-03-2007, 01:14 AM   #54
Iowa
Game Wizzard

I've encountered two problems, after downloading Blackthorne.

1) When unzipping, I run the install program and am returned to Winzip without the files being removed from the temporary folder and installed anywhere. I have already solved this by copying the files from C:\Windows\Temp to My Documents\Blackthorne [a folder that I created].

I am writing about the first problem even in the advent of my solving it because this isn't the only time i've had a problem with DOS games on Abandonia lacking installers. When "Blood" was abandonware, I had to do the exact same thing, except it worked!

2) after copying the files and running setup, I run "Black.exe" and am given this error:

AN ERROR HAS OCCURED WHILE RUNNING PC BLACKTHORNE

AT LEAST 2048k OF EMS IS REQUIRED.

What does this mean? I have tried to run it from both the Windows 98 interface and from straight DOS, and was given the same error both times...

If it is any help at all, here are my system speculations:

Windows 98
330 MHZ Pentium II Processor
Nvidia TNT Graphics card (16 MB)
Sound Blaster compatible sound card (not functional)

Any help at all would be appreciated...
Old 03-03-2007, 01:41 AM   #55
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Iowa, In DOS are you loading EMM386.EXE in your config.sys file? If so, paste the line here so I can see it. There are certain things that can and can't be on it in your case. If it has the NOEMS switch in there you need to get rid of NOEMS and replace it with RAM so that expanded memory is available.

If you are trying to run the DOS program in Win98 it is better to work with the PIF file for black.exe which would be named black.pif (will have an MSDOS icon). Right click black.pif and edit it to change the memory configuration. Make sure that it is providing expanded memory and then you can start the program by clicking the black.pif icon. Before I started using DOSBox I used to use this method all the time and it worked more often than not.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 03-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #56
Cosmonaut_Roger
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 9 2006, 01:57 PM

To my knowledge, D-Fend is much more problematic then DOS-Boxer. Tales of savegame corruption and the like are not uncommon.

Huh, that's funny because I've just started having problems with D-fend recently and I've never tried Dos-Boxer. Is it pretty intuitive to use? I'm going to have to check it out now, which is too bad because I've got all these saved profiles in my D-Fend program.

Last edited by arete; 27-10-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: html
Cosmonaut_Roger is offline                         Send a private message to Cosmonaut_Roger
Old 03-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #57
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmonaut_Roger @ Mar 3 2007, 02:57 PM
Huh, that's funny because I've just started having problems with D-fend recently and I've never tried Dos-Boxer. Is it pretty intuitive to use? I'm going to have to check it out now, which is too bad because I've got all these saved profiles in my D-Fend program.
D-Fend and Boxer are only frontends that run DOSBox, I don't think they can be more problematic than a BAT file. If you don't configure them well or if they don't provide you 100 per cent of DOSBox's own flexibility, that's another issue. I used Boxer for a long time and I had no problems, I'm pretty sure it's safe but I don't think D-Fend is less safe and it's the frontend recommended by the DOSBox developers, and they know business. D-Fend is conceived to almost necessarily have one profile for each game, whereas in Boxer it's more straight forward to have one configuration for several games, although you can also make it launch a given game for you if you just put it in the autoexec section of Boxer, but that might be less GUI than what people are used nowadays.

Anyway I think I was using an old version of Boxer, and now I've switched to using DOSBox without frontend, with shortcuts and modified conf files when necessary. It's not hard at all once you've got used to configure those same things via frontend, and it gives you most flexibility and control, beats any frontend.

Last edited by arete; 27-10-2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: html
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 03-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #58
Iowa
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Geezer @ Mar 2 2007, 06:41 PM)

Iowa, In DOS are you loading EMM386.EXE in your config.sys file? If so, paste the line here so I can see it. There are certain things that can and can't be on it in your case. If it has the NOEMS switch in there you need to get rid of NOEMS and replace it with RAM so that expanded memory is available.

If you are trying to run the DOS program in Win98 it is better to work with the PIF file for black.exe which would be named black.pif (will have an MSDOS icon). Right click black.pif and edit it to change the memory configuration. Make sure that it is providing expanded memory and then you can start the program by clicking the black.pif icon. Before I started using DOSBox I used to use this method all the time and it worked more often than not.
Darn it all, I hate it when this happens, here you are providing perfectly reliable help to me and here I sit with my abysmal knowledge of DOS completely unable to understand what you are saying...

However, in my directory, I have neither a "config.sys" nor a "black.pif". These are the files in my directory:

Crack.com
Setup.exe
Black.exe
Data.dat

Am I missing files or something? Because I don't belive I can edit the "data.dat" file, whenever I try to do so, it's just a huge list of symbols and what I presume to be the layout for in-game text displayed.

Sorry for me being so challenged .

Last edited by arete; 27-10-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: html
Iowa is offline                         Send a private message to Iowa
Old 03-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #59
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

I'm sorry Iowan, I will be more specific this time. First off let's forget about running the game in DOS because I just tested it in Win 98 and it runs fine. Here's what you need to do.

1. Right click black.exe and create a shortcut. This will add an icon to your folder that will have the MSDOS logo.

2. Right click the new shortcut icon and select properties. You will now be presented with a properties window with a number of tabs across the top.

3. Click on the "program" tab and click the advanced button. Select the radio button that says "keep program from detecting windows. The top two radio buttons should now be selected. Click "OK".

4. Click on the "memory" tab and change both the expanded memory and extended memory to "auto".

5. Click on the "apply" button at the bottom.

6. Do not try to change the screen settings to have the game play in a window it will only play in Full Screen mode.

6. Start the game (now and from now on) by clicking the new MSDOS icon. In the future you don't need to reconfigure the game as long as the PIF file (MSDOS icon) is there and you select it to start.

Note: I notice in the game documentation that you can speed up the game in WIN 95/98 by typing the word FASTER while playing. Works similar to a cheat code.

"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 05-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #60
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
now I've switched to using DOSBox without frontend, with shortcuts and modified conf files when necessary. It's not hard at all once you've got used to configure those same things via frontend, and it gives you most flexibility and control, beats any frontend.[/b]
Same here. One generic config plus a dozen or so for individual games.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman