Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > Documentation / Extras
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Cool Super Dune II: Classic Edition

Super Dune II: Classic Edition is an updated version of the Dune II modification/add-on, Super Dune 2. It is based on the latest, patched version of Dune II (v1.07) and additionally fixes as many bugs found in the original Super Dune 2 as possible.

Download Super Dune II: Classic Edition
Download Super Dune II Savegames
IMPORTANT NOTE: You will need Dune II v1.07 (any release) to play Super Dune II: Classic Edition.

The fixes and changes made in Super Dune II: Classic Edition include:
  • All scenario (mission) files have been cleaned of errors and mistakes, first and foremost of the team bug, which means the AI is now harder. Here's a nice example of enemy attack teams:
  • The Mentat animations for the new sides were messed up in SD2, this has, too, been fixed. Now the Fremen are briefed by Cyril, the Mercenaries by Ammon, and the Sardaukar by Radnor.
  • All missions are now supplied with appropriate briefings.
  • The errors which caused concrete placement restrictions for the Mercenaries and the Sardaukar ("concrete bug") and prevented the Fremen- and Mercenary-conquered regions from showing up on the conquest map ("vanishing houses bug") have been fixed.
  • Frigate delivery now works properly for the new sides:
  • The new sides' units are no longer immune to Deviator attacks.
  • All Mercenary-related events on the battlefield are now properly announced (originally, the word "Mercenary" was not pronounced).
  • The player-owned sandworms in the Fremen campaign are now more friendly towards the player's other units. They are set by default to Area Guard, in which mode they do not devour friendly units. Additionally, the player can now manually set the worms into Area Guard mode if the need arises:
  • Fixed some in-game graphical bugs, including the IX remap error:
  • All modified files are neatly packed into PAK archives for your convenience.
More screenshots showing AI attack teams overwhelming the player:

I'd like to thank the following people who have contributed a lot to the development of Super Dune II: Second Edition:Thanks guys!

Last edited by MrFlibble; 29-05-2009 at 01:42 PM.
MrFlibble is offline                         Send a private message to MrFlibble
Old 19-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Vanshilar
Abandonia nerd

Hi MrFlibble! Nice to see you here (I was "Javichal" on the Dune2K forums) and thanks for the announcement. However, you could consider using Abandonia Reloaded at www.reloaded.org, which I gather is more dedicated to mods and remakes and such. Unless you meant that you want to have Abandonia host Super Dune II.

I remember playing the game with the AI "team bug" fixed and it was definitely much more interesting than the original. Making Super Dune 2 must've been a ton of work
Vanshilar is offline                         Send a private message to Vanshilar
Old 19-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Moved to Favourite oldies and newbies.
Old 19-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanshilar View Post
Hi MrFlibble! Nice to see you here (I was "Javichal" on the Dune2K forums) and thanks for the announcement. However, you could consider using Abandonia Reloaded at www.reloaded.org, which I gather is more dedicated to mods and remakes and such. Unless you meant that you want to have Abandonia host Super Dune II.
Then its would be good to tell Frodo about it, so she can add it on AR.

Check here for Maps i made
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco
Old 19-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanshilar View Post
However, you could consider using Abandonia Reloaded at www.reloaded.org, which I gather is more dedicated to mods and remakes and such. Unless you meant that you want to have Abandonia host Super Dune II.
Yes, I thought that maybe you'd agree to host the mod here I haven't thought of Abandonia Reloaded really, because I think Super Dune II: Classic Edition isn't too much of a remake - it updates the mod to v1.07, but it still uses the original (albeit modified) EXE and other files, even though they have been cleaned of errors and bugs. I've thought Abandonia Reloaded is more for stuff like Dune II The Maker, but if you think Super Dune II: Classic Edition would be more at home there, maybe you're right

At any rate, I'll be happy if you host the mod
MrFlibble is offline                         Send a private message to MrFlibble
Old 19-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

How about extras? It would be nice to have it on site, it's a Mod after all.
There is Dune IV in queue at reloaded, so this fits better here IMO.
Old 20-05-2009, 05:07 AM   #7
red_avatar
Administrator

Question: can you now drag & select units?

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 20-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Vanshilar
Abandonia nerd

Well ah I think it'd be best if one of the higher-ups figure out if it should be on Abandonia or Abandonia Reloaded. But if it should be on here, usually to get Abandonia to host you'll want to make a post in the "offers" forum with your login name in the title, and let them know so they can give you FTP access to the files server so that you can upload the game. Then it's writing a review and making screenshots (process moves faster if they don't have to do those themselves), and uploading them, then wait for the editors to make sure there's no viruses, etc. to get it onto the site.

Edit: Although yes Dave does have that big "Administrator" sign below his name

Last edited by Vanshilar; 20-05-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Vanshilar is offline                         Send a private message to Vanshilar
Old 20-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

I added it to the list on Reloaded, so it's waiting for a review there
http://www.reloaded.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=10640

If it's freeware, it belongs on Reloaded.

Last edited by Frodo; 20-05-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 22-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
Question: can you now drag & select units?
Nope. I used the original EXE, I think you can't introduce such features like multiple-unit selection without compiling a new EXE from the source code (which is unavailable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
If it's freeware, it belongs on Reloaded.
Thanks However, is it OK that the mod is not stand-alone (it requires to be installed upon the version 1.07 of Dune II)?

EDIT:
Erm, I'm very sorry, but when I click on this link it returns an error message:
Quote:
Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken.
EDIT 2:
Okay, I registered at Reloaded forums, the link works fine

Last edited by MrFlibble; 29-05-2009 at 07:46 PM.