Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #101
skaven510
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gordon @ Jul 7 2007, 11:41 AM) [snapback]298349[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Forget about M.A.X because you are heading to the worst nightmare!!!!

Yes, M.A.X is the best turn per turn strategy game ever created. No doubt about that. As soon as you start to play this game, you cannot go away from it. It is like a drug!!!!

BUT, you will soon discover that the game is full of bugs. If you start a gme vs computer opponents, no matter what you do, the game will start to freeze when you will have a lot of units on the map.

In fact, at the end of a turn, when the clock reach zero, the game will freeze. You can reload and sometimes, it is going to work, till the next turn when the bug will happen again and again.

I have installed the latest patch but it seems this bug was never corrected. And this is really annoying.

If someone encountered this bug and found a solution, please feel free to talk about it. Because, sadly it turned the best strategy game ever to a nightmare...

You have been warned!
[/b]
Are you talking about running it in dosbox or on newer computers because I played this game all the way through to the end when it was released and had no problems like you just mentioned. The only problem I had was that I lost a lot of sleep trying to beat the AI. I was never sure if it cheated or not but by reading all of the replies here I'm pretty sure it was just one of the best AI's ever.
skaven510 is offline                         Send a private message to skaven510
Old 17-08-2007, 03:39 AM   #102

Hi. I have MAX original instaled on my xp pc. I tried to run it with dos box but it runs too slow and stucks. so i tried the vds sound emulator but there it goes mad and its too fast. Can someone please help me how i can run this game on XP.

Old 17-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #103
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You can try configuring DOSBox to run faster. It's been discussed around here plenty of times before.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 18-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #104
Lea

Hey guys

I recently got MAX installed again, but there's still the same problem as there was back in the 90s, IPX cant be initiated, and the only real option for Multiplayer that remains is Hot-Seat or Serial :/

I know that people have successfully played IPX games from what i have read on various forums, but i have never seen anyone write exactly how to do it.

I run M.A.X in DOSBox, and from there i'd be really grateful for any hints on how i get it working

Kind regards, Simon

Old 18-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #105
Lea

Noticed that the first step after activating IPXNET was to get the ISO.

*gets his plowshare out*
Lea is offline                         Send a private message to Lea
Old 18-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #106
Lea

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sartoris @ Feb 13 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]279042[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Thank you so much for putting this up Abandonia, I always wanted to try this game.

Also, is there any chance you might be adding the missing music files to certain sections of your site for separate download if it is not possible to include them in the main file? I would really appreciate it.

THANK YOU ABANDONIA!
[/b]
You + Me + Hamachi = True?
Lea is offline                         Send a private message to Lea
Old 18-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #107

the game rocks. many hours are spoiled already. this game has it all. I prefer a different tactic each game. A perfect game means wasting an enemy's base defense with and then splatting all defenseless buildings with bomber planes. as a finishing touch I like to hunt down desperately fleeing constructors and engineers with my U-boats. Until now, the game is still not beaten in many ways. even not by the newest games. guess it's the turn based thing that makes it a little bit boring. But still, it allows you to think out tactical plans at your own pace. I think there is no game that enables you to use more different methods to achieve the same goal. To me, this game was the best of its age. (I still got the original copy somewhere, my dad bought it 11 years ago.

Old 26-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #108
Mekorig

I cant run the game. I am running it in DOSBox 0.71 whit Windows XP.

Here is the error the DOSBox gives:

DOS/4GW Profesional error 2504 > cant create swap file c:\games\max\DOS4GVM.SWP
DOS\/4GW Profesional fatal error 1011 : VMM initialization error 1

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.
Mekorig is offline                         Send a private message to Mekorig
Old 26-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #109
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

If I get these errors my head instantly screams "REINSTALL!" although I've never had problems with M.A.X. so that might not be the case.

The first thing to do is reinstall, it might sound like a "I don't really know what the problem is" kind of charade, but it's always worth a try.

The second thing to do is to make sure you didn't run any install files, that can always cause a problem.
The third thing to do, if it doesn't work at that point, is you might want to look at your file permissions.
I have an absolute LOAD of games I can't play because my computer refuse to let certain files be created and stored on the PC, this includes games such as Ultima 6 when needs to create a save file by building up nearly the whole game.

Of course, that's much older and way different than M.A.X. so the problem might be something else, the game itself can be corrupt, but I highly doubt that since the download worked fine for me, or the Zip might have been the problem.

Whatever the case is, I'm not familiar with that error, so the best is to try what I posted until someone with more knowledge can help you, which certainly shouldn't take too long.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 26-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #110
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mekorig @ Aug 26 2007, 07:34 PM) [snapback]306854[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
DOS/4GW Profesional error 2504 > cant create swap file c:\games\max\DOS4GVM.SWP
DOS\/4GW Profesional fatal error 1011 : VMM initialization error 1
[/b]
Did you mount C: as C:?