Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
nace
Abandonia nerd

Location: Kavadarci, Macedonia, the former Yugoslav Republic of
Question

So once again , me, with my brilliant ideas, f..... up another machine.
You remember the previous thread I made about my friend`s lap-top and NTFS and FAT32 partitions? Whell it`s about the same computer.

After the instalation of the Windows XP and Service Pack 2, I also installed the drivers for the hardware. The video card driver; the "touching thing" driver, and the audio driver.

I`m aware that WinXP mounts it`s own drivers automaticly for the hardware, but in the manual it said, in short lines that the drivers on that CD (the CD came with the Lap-Top) provide better performance. OK.

But after the instalation of the audio driver the PC still couldn`t recognise the audio device - so there was no sound. To get to the point:

On the CD that came with the lap-top there were about 10 drivers (for things that I`m familliar and unfamilliar of), so thinking that they all should be installed I installed SOME SORT OF DAMN WINDOWS PATCH!!! .
Thinking that it was a driver. Silly me. yeah. :wallbash:

So after the PC restarted, WinXP asked for a log-in password :tai: There was none such before, I have no idea where did that came from.

So I decided to reinstall the Windows XP, but then, the PC couldn`t boot from the CD. You start the PC with the WinXP CD inside (the CD is fine), and there is no sign of bios (which I haven`t seen on that PC before eighter). The PC is starting directly with Windows or, I don`t know. Is that why the PC is not booting from the CD at startup?

When you buy a new PC do you have to install bios too? Isn`t it supposed to be installed on the PC allready? Because like I said when you start the PC a screen with "Asus" (the trademark of the PC) appears, and after that you see the windows starting to load. Nothing else.

Please help me guys because the PC is not mine and I feel pretty gilty.
How to make the damn PC boot from the CD?

nace is offline                         Send a private message to nace
Old 10-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Usually you have to hit a key when you want to boot from the CD. But you should be asked to do so. And you should have like - three seconds time to hit a key.

Do you know how to get in the BIOS and change the boot-order?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

There is usually a function key that needs to be pressed to get into the BIOS setup program. It would need to be pressed just before Windows loads ... during the manufacturer splash screen. Your PC manual should tell you what the key is that needs to be pressed. Once you are in the BIOS setup program there should be a configuration that specifies the boot sequence between the CD, floppy drive and hard drive.

EDIT: Icewolf beat me to it.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 10-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
When you buy a new PC do you have to install bios too? Isn`t it supposed to be installed on the PC allready?[/b]
It's always "installed" - BIOS contents are ROM, and absolutely neccesary to start up the machine (guess why people are so afraid of any screw-ups when doing a BIOS update...).
Quote:
Because like I said when you start the PC a screen with "Asus" (the trademark of the PC) appears, and after that you see the windows starting to load. Nothing else.[/b]
Hold a key (typically Delete, though I've seen different ones on new machines) during the startup. The machine should enter the BIOS settings instead of booting the operating system.
If that doesn't work, consult the manual.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
jg007
Super Freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nace @ May 10 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]289821[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

So after the PC restarted, WinXP asked for a log-in password :tai: There was none such before, I have no idea where did that came from.

[/b]
you could try -

press F8 several times before windows screen comes up and it should allow you to select the safe mode, if it shows a list of users then click on administrator then go into the control panel and select user accounts then try removing the users password

also the password prompt , how is that displayed, is it on the windows log in screen ?, it could be that you have enabled a boot password for the PC. if so just open the case and remove the bios battery for a short while then replace and reboot
jg007 is offline                         Send a private message to jg007
Old 10-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

As well as Del some machines need F2 to be pressed to enter the BIOS setup. Anyway the screen should read "Press [key] to enter setup" at some time during startup. Also like Icewolf said some BIOSs let you boot from the CD pressing another key without need of changing the BIOS for subsequent startups.

Just don't panic, the only reason the CD isn't booting now on its own is because the BIOS looks for default in the hard drive for an operating system, and if it finds one it doesn't bother to look in the CD unless you tell it to.

Also it's very strange that you're asked for a password you don't have, even more so since it seems from what you say that all software was legit.

Quote:
so thinking that they all should be installed...[/b]
It's my philosophy to monitor very closely what's installed in my machine, so I don't install anything unless I need it.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
nace
Abandonia nerd

Location: Kavadarci, Macedonia, the former Yugoslav Republic of

Quote:
it seems from what you say that all software was legit.[/b]

So, yes it was F2 that did the job for entering the BIOS setup meny. Using F8 get`s you to the "Safe Mode" sellection, but in oder to log in the Windows, you stilll need a password for the main account, and it also was searching for a password for the administrator account (which offcourse was never created by me).

Anyway in the end my friend took his lap-top to another friend, and that friend fixed the things up for him. The problem was solved.

Thank you for all of your help, and I guess in the future I`ll think twice before installing anything on a PC.
nace is offline                         Send a private message to nace
Old 11-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nace @ May 11 2007, 01:42 PM) [snapback]289911[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Thank you for all of your help, and I guess in the future I`ll think twice before installing anything on a PC.[/b]
Oh that is one of the first lessons you learn when you seriously deal with computers!
Old 14-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #9
bobson
Game is over

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nace @ May 11 2007, 01:42 PM) [snapback]289911[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
administrator account (which offcourse was never created by me).
[/b]
administrator account is always there! It's not visible on the logon screen (apart from safe mode), but you can access it. You shoul press Alt+Ctrl+Del once or twice during the logon screen, and you'll se Win2000 style login window. Just type administrator as user and no password.

Good thing is that it sometimes helps - when you mess up something with your account. Bad thing is - if you do not know about it and you believe that password you created to your only account will stop everyone from access to Your PC ...
Old 08-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #10
Ghost

I did not know about the trick Bob-Satan mentioned, but the usual installation asks you for the login name and password for the administration account. Either you had a non-conform installation CD, or you can read what it says before clicking 'next' next time you install Windows XP
Ghost is offline                         Send a private message to Ghost