Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-01-2006, 07:51 AM   #21
Cockroach
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
1) can i use my SARGE version of debian too run KDE or GNOME
Yes. You might need disc 2 or 3 to have it all.

Quote:
2) did I somehow install a mini version of debian? blink.gif
Sounds like you installed a base system or something. At that screen where you were prompted for installing the packages, I believe you have to select with Space and move the cursor with Tab. Also, if you got to an Apt configuration screen you need to go through the little wizard to get all of your CDs in as package sources.

Quote:
3) do I need to have net access/will I ever be able to have net access with wireless?
Depends on if your hardware is supported. Do you have any way of getting a wired connection on the machine? The first 2-3 CDs should be enough to get a fuctional desktop up and running, but you'll have a harder time updating if you can't get online with it.

Quote:
ooh, I will look at fedora too but I somehow want to persevere with this...
My advice you be to leave 5-10gb of free space on the drive just so you can test several distros and see which one you like best.
Cockroach is offline                         Send a private message to Cockroach
Old 06-01-2006, 08:23 AM   #22
chickenman
Hero Gamer

May I ask how your Windows CD is broke ?, I had a problem just like it, after installing Linux it would not work at all so I had to use a smelly old Windows 98 CD, by the way what company made your computer ?
chickenman is offline                         Send a private message to chickenman
Old 06-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #23
plix
Game freak

[I'm only going to address the wireless thing and the mounting thing because Cockroach handled everything else nicely]

Quote:
Originally posted by Javaguy
Ill have a go at mounting the CD-rom drive then.. will it automaticly stay mounted or will I have to mount it every time? a la DOSbox
You'll have to mount it every time you boot and every time you change the CD in the drive (remember to `umount <device>` first where "<device>" is the aforementioned /dev/hd* before removing a CD). Also, like I said, most desktop environments -- including GNOME and KDE -- do handle this automatically.

Quote:
Originally posted by Javaguy+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Javaguy)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>its unlikley I will find any open source drivers for my wireless adapter as its a DELL one and dell like windows.[/b]

Handling hardware and drivers with Linux is tricky, and it will require that you learn more about hardware, the hardware industry, and the Linux development process than you probably care to (it's a pain to keep track of no matter who you are, especially for things like high-end video cards and wireless). Crash-course here is that Dell makes pretty much zero hardware themselves but chooses instead to rebrand that of other companies.

I can say with near-100% certainty that your wireless card is actually made by another manufacturer. As such, you'll have to identify who made it and what the chipset is and then go looking for drivers. The NDIS wrappers will probably allow you to get away with just using the Windows driver for the card, but I'd *highly* suggest trying to find out if there are open source drivers available (either released from the manufacturer or reverse-engineered by someone).

<!--QuoteBegin-Javaguy

3) do I need to have net access/will I ever be able to have net access with wireless?[/quote]
"Needing" to have it is a subjective thing and a question only you can answer :)

You will be able to eventually access the internet with wireless, though it will take some time, effort, and a ton of research.

Quote:
Originally posted by Javaguy
ooh, I will look at fedora too but I somehow want to persevere with this...
Like I said before, at this point if you want to switch to something easier don't switch to Fedora. Something like Xandros is way more reasonable for a beginner.
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 06-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #24
Javaguy
Abandonia nerd

right! thanks for your help
*rubs hands in glee*

so lets see...
I have installed a base debian using CD1 which contains base stuff. Did I download a special version of debian that only needs one CD (by special I mean some kindof base option..) edit: I went to the official mirror, selected r0a (not r1 for some reason) and got this one: debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso
sounds like a small debian to me-"netinst". on r1 there are thousands of binaries.. 11cds?!?!?/edit

if I didnt see them (the ISOs) (its the kindof stupid thing I would do) then do I just insert the CDs at bootup for do-you-want-to-install-this-too options or do I uninstall-reinstall linux.

as for a wired internet connection theres nothing I could do (couldnt afford dial up and too slow and I couldnt) but it seems debian is quite network-based (assumed I had one as I had ethernet) and I have a nice gigabit ethernet connection so I could wire my computer up to the windows one that has wireless.. could I get internet that way?

as for doing some research into hardware I am prepared to put in the work (debian is ruling my life ATM) and do my best.. Im only asking all my stupid newbish questions about linux as I cant find the answers on the internet anywhere.
again. Thanks for your patience :bye:
I will look on the debian website for other ISOs. But atm I have no CD-RWs around.

oh and chickenman my windows cd got lodged in my old cd drive when it ejected it spinning.. I touched it and wham it spun into the slot.
windows 98 smells :P oooh and I made my own computer.
Javaguy is offline                         Send a private message to Javaguy
Old 06-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #25
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso
That ISO's for a network installation - a very small amount of stuff is on the CD (pretty much just a kernel and a few bits to get installed) and the rest you download via the net - that's why you've not got X included. A full installation will be on several CDs.

You most certainly could use the other PC's wireless connection to provide the internet access for a net install - my Debian installation was done using my LAN's cable connection (and my housemate's expertise :P) with very little hassle.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 06-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #26
Javaguy
Abandonia nerd

excellent.
now to find a LAN cable then
twisted pair one?

I edited my post above.. which contains many a newbish question
Old 06-01-2006, 03:08 PM   #27
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by BeefontheBone+Jan 6 2006, 10:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BeefontheBone @ Jan 6 2006, 10:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> You most certainly could use the other PC's wireless connection to provide the internet access for a net install - my Debian installation was done using my LAN's cable connection (and my housemate's expertise :P) with very little hassle. [/b]

Wired LAN card drivers are much, much, much more mature and available in relation to wireless drivers. Getting wireless anything working on Linux is going to take some work.

<!--QuoteBegin-Javaguy

Did I download a special version of debian that only needs one CD (by special I mean some kindof base option..)[/quote]
For Debian 3.1r0a:
CD1 ISO,
CD2 ISO.

Download those two images and burn them to CD. The first will have more than enough to get you up and running (including X, GNOME, etc). Keep in mind, however, that during the install you need to specifically select a full install rather than a base/bare install.
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 06-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #28
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Wired LAN card drivers are much, much, much more mature and available in relation to wireless drivers. Getting wireless anything working on Linux is going to take some work.
Precisely - it ought to be much easier to set up the LAN and share the connection from the windows PC that trying to get the wireless connection working in Debian.

Best bet would just be to download those install CDs rather than the net installer, though.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 07-01-2006, 10:14 AM   #29
Javaguy
Abandonia nerd

thank you so much plix and beefonthebone :Brain:
I have no CD-RWs or CD-Rs ATM but I will buy some today. If I use the wired lan can I share a windows HDD with my linux one?
and I have a brand new 25 quid sony microvault USB storage thing. It says for windows/mac.. so will I be able to get that to work on linux?
Im guessing I have to search sonys site for linux drivers..
Old 08-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #30
chickenman
Hero Gamer

use ubuntu, it's based on Debian and it only has one CD that installs Gnome and every thing else you need.

Also you can download Kubuntu which uses KDE not Gnome.
chickenman is offline                         Send a private message to chickenman