Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #1
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Whenever I connect my USB mouse to an USB port, Windows displays a BSOD with that message. If plugged before Windows boots, then the PC just restarts and keeps repeating that.

What might be the cause? How to solve it?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-07-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

What brand is the mouse, and did it come with any software/drivers? If yes, then install them first before you plug in the mouse?
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 27-07-2005, 11:48 AM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

A4tech. Yes and Yes. The BSOD appears mere second after windows displays "finished installing new hardware" after I plug the mouse in.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-07-2005, 12:46 PM   #4
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

In that case, have you tried uninstalling the mouse drivers, then just plug in the mouse without installing the official drivers first?
Also, if you have any other usb devices, try to remove them first, to see if there is some kind of a conflict there.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 27-07-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
Koen
Game Wizzard

That's funny! I just had that error message too, saying my bios was too old. Also a blue screen with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL...
Koen is offline                         Send a private message to Koen
Old 27-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
In that case, have you tried uninstalling the mouse drivers, then just plug in the mouse without installing the official drivers first?
Been there, ends exactly the same way.
Quote:
Also, if you have any other usb devices, try to remove them first, to see if there is some kind of a conflict there.
Don't have any.

-- Reed Richards
Old 27-07-2005, 02:40 PM   #7
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, I have a few more suggestions.
Try a different USB port. If you are using a USB hub, don't.
My guess is that you had another mouse before this one, right? And USB too, right? If yes, did you uninstall all software related to that one?
Tried to download any new driver from the manufacturer?
Try loading windows in safe mode then plug in the mouse?
I guess there is a chance that the mouse itself is broken. Or that Windows just plain do not like it. If nothing works, try to use the mouse on another pc just to be sure that it is not broken.

Old 27-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
Data
retired

well that error means that windows and your hardware aren;t friends

replace either. (you probably have to reinstall windows or so)
Old 27-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Try a different USB port.
Been there, done that. No difference.
Quote:
If you are using a USB hub, don't.
No hub in use.
Quote:
My guess is that you had another mouse before this one, right? And USB too, right?
You could say so. Same mouse but plugged into PS/2 socket via USB-PS2 adapter. However there I have to boot up Windoze with a different mouse, and switch it later b/c the USB one does not power up correctly.
Quote:
If yes, did you uninstall all software related to that one?
Yes, tried that and no effect.
Quote:
Tried to download any new driver from the manufacturer?
Yup.

Quote:
Try loading windows in safe mode then plug in the mouse?
Didn't do that yet.

Quote:
I guess there is a chance that the mouse itself is broken. Or that Windows just plain do not like it. If nothing works, try to use the mouse on another pc just to be sure that it is not broken.
Mouse is second one after the store replaced the first. Same effect. Worked on other hardware without problems.

Quote:
replace either. (you probably have to reinstall windows or so)
Dammit. Cannot right now.

-- Reed Richards
Old 27-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #10
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

So the mouse works when used with PS/2? If yes, then (having first removed any traces of any drivers etc) having the mouse plugged in the ps/2 co to device manager and remove the mouse from the system that way. When you do unplug, check and remove any reference to it from the registry (manually) and reboot. A When xp finishes loading, plug in the mouse to the usb.

If that doesn't work, try what I said about safe mode.

It sounds like a driver conflict, and that PS/2 might just might be the problem. :blink: