Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 19-02-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
Henry the tall guy

Hi! i have dosbox installed and have downloaded "xcom ufo enemy unknown" from your website, and it appears to run successfully. But the screen resolution is way to high, how do i fix this problem?
Henry the tall guy is offline                         Send a private message to Henry the tall guy
Old 19-02-2005, 02:02 PM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The screen resolution is not too high, my best bet would be that it was meant to be played with such a resolution.
Old 19-02-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
Henry the tall guy

hello may be i got it wrong. the picture is miles to big and very pixilated.
What do you think?
Henry the tall guy is offline                         Send a private message to Henry the tall guy
Old 19-02-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well the game is quite old so it could just be that that resolution is the resolution of the game. UFO's graphic aren't state of the art anymore but they have charisma in my opinion.

If this isn't the case then perhaps you could post a screenshot?
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 19-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
Henry the tall guy

Nice idea about the screen-shot, but i have found that it will not help as the saved picture looks as it should in my paint program. So it looks like the screen is stretched off the monitor and i can't scroll around and quite honestly i don't want to. Have you any ideas? is it that i have dosbox and the xcom program set up wrong? so far the program looks like it will work properly if i can only get the resolution right.
Salutations.
Henry The Tall Guy.
Old 19-02-2005, 06:58 PM   #6
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

What OS are you running? I use XP and use the yellow "sun" icon to run the game, it works fine, at the right speed etc and it doesn't crash out of the game randomly.
Old 19-02-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
Henry the tall guy

Thanks all seems to be well now.
Salutations.
Henry The Tall Guy
Old 19-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #8
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Glad to here it. Have fun playing UFO and be sure to post in the game discussion fourm
Old 19-02-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
Henry the tall guy

Just when you think you've got it right life throws you a curve ball.
it worked once, but now it's gone back to it's old ways & refuses to behave correctly.
I am using windows xp and am dying to use this game Ive looked for, for a very long time, it's very annoying.
Salutations.
Henry The Tall Guy.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:46 PM   #10

I'm not completely sure what the situation is but you have two options from my understanding. The first option applies if you have the original DOS game. If this is the case then use DOS box to run it and it should be fine. Maybe tinker around with the dosbox.config file and look at the resolution (bring it down from the 1024x768 default to 800x600).

Your second option would be that you have the new version, the one made for the win32 system. If you have that version of the game then you do not need DOSBOX to run it. If you are running it through DOSBOX then that might be the problem. This newer version was the update to make sure that people who loved the game under dos could still play through an OS upgrade. If this is the case you should be able to run the game fine by double clicking on the icon of the sun, this isn't the actual UFO.EXE file, if you notice, but is instead a fix that some nice programmer made that takes care of a directx or direct draw issue that the game had (I can't remember which it is but the fix works).

If you don't have the newer version of the game and would like it (I'm not sure if its on abandonia.com's servers or not, I know for a fact you can get it from the 'Home of the Underdogs': "www.the-underdogs.org/"

Good luck

Closed Thread