Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Expack2
Game Request Hunter

Default Nerf Arena Blast

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks, don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review & Download (if available)

Proud Beta Tester for Desura Since October 28, 2010
Expack2 is offline                         Send a private message to Expack2
Old 11-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
The Bloodhawk

This is the 1337th game on this site.
The Bloodhawk is offline                         Send a private message to The Bloodhawk
Old 12-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

i know it's not abandonware but to me a better choice would be World of Padman. unfortunatelly looks liek Single player mode was abandoned.
just as well the botas are quite fun to play against in that game. and graphics is a bit better than here.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 16-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
ffxplayer

Red face

OK, I know this is weird to say when I own some of the games on this site on their original Floppy/Diskette/CD, but seeing THIS game as abandonware makes me feel old...Back in the day, the demo of this game was MASSIVE at my school, where it was played in computer class with our favorite teacher(who was god in it). I sucked at "death-matches", so I became a master of Ballblast. Ahh, good times....
ffxplayer is offline                         Send a private message to ffxplayer
Old 09-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
dorinslayr

I have been waiting for this to become abandonware for so long!
This is the king of non-violent FPS games.
dorinslayr is offline                         Send a private message to dorinslayr
Old 23-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
live2njoy

Thumbs up YES!!!

Now that this is on abandonia and is legal to download, I think it qualifies as a perfect lan-party game or online meet-up first person shooter.

#1) It is fun.
#2) It is easy to find, install and get running being it is a stand-alone title not an expansion of another game.
#3) Unlike most good games from the modern 3d-era it is legally free and doesn't require cd-keys to play online.
#4) It doesn't have a steep learning curve like virtually all the other FPS games you can think of. So new comers and casual gamers won't be discouraged by mercilous addicts with no life.

If for example Goldeneye on N64 is still played by gamers, I don't see why a game with better maps, less repetitive gamplay, an online feature and far better graphics and frame-rate shouldn't be. Not to mention that it's for the PC and completely free to obtain. There is still an online community which you could help to reinvigorate, found primarily at NerfArena*net and apparently run by a guy who the original developers passed the torch to.

Playing online no longer works out of the box and requires community packs which they made available. Also you no longer have to select software rendering to run it on a modern machine, nGlide 1.0 has come out and made 3dfx/D3d possible through modern nVidia/ATI pcs. Now it runs on 64-bit PC's and even on Mac and Linux through Wine. Select Win XP (or prior) compatibility mode as it was originally made for Win 95. If you have any problems it's recommended to drag the Nerf folder you downloaded from Abandonia to the default install location of the game disc C:\Program files\Atari\Nerf Arena Blast or it's WINE equivalent, which should be something like..
Code:
.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Atari/Nerf Arena Blast/
live2njoy is offline                         Send a private message to live2njoy
Old 24-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Rajada
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2njoy View Post
...and apparently run by a guy who the original developers passed the torch to.
Yup, that's me, though I must say I rather already had taken, polished and re-lit the torch before the lead developer found us and seriously applauded us for keeping his game going over ten years later.

But in all seriousness, if you ever need any help related to this game, you can go to our aforementioned website and ask for me by name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2njoy View Post
So new comers and casual gamers won't be discouraged by merciless addicts with no life.
I must admit I managed to do this on only one occasion; needless to say I play mostly team games with the newer players now. It is sort of the curse of being the guy who re-wrote the weapon code to work better online.
Rajada is offline                         Send a private message to Rajada
Old 25-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
qwertykeyman
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
graphics is a bit better than here.
Well, have you tried it with the community pack's high resolution? Also some tweaks in the nvidia control panel work perfectly to crisp up the graphics.

Last edited by qwertykeyman; 25-06-2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Typo
qwertykeyman is offline                         Send a private message to qwertykeyman