Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-07-2005, 12:20 PM   #1
Koen
Game Wizzard

Well, I just bought this new pc, intel p4 3.00 ghz, 512 mb ram etc etc, but the graphic card simply sucks. It's an (AGP) nVidia Geforce4 MX 4000, bad bad bad, couldn't even play half life 2 with it...

Now I wanna buy a good card for a low price (not more than 100 euro's). What will be the best buy for me? I was thinking about a radeon 9600 pro 256 mb for 69,- euro, but I don't know if it's a good one and if it can play the latest games next year...

btw here's a list with current prices in euro's:
http://www.tweakers.net/pricewatch/?Sorter...dfilter=Benelux
Koen is offline                         Send a private message to Koen
Old 19-07-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I used to have a 9600PRO 128MB and it is a fine card but do not expect to be able to play next years (or even last years for that matter) games at highest detail levels.
But then don't expect to be able to play any recent game on highest detail level with any budget videocard. That is not what they are for. Budget cards are cheap and get the job done. If you want great graphics you need to spend more money, its an inescapable fact.

A 9600 PRO 256MB for just €70 is a great deal and it is miles ahead of the GF4MX. I'd say if you don't have the money or will to spend €200 for a mid range card like the 6600GT then go for this one. It runs Half Life 2 like a dream (and on the highest detail level).
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 19-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
Koen
Game Wizzard

Thx for the advice. I just ordered the radeon 9600 pro 256 mb. and if I find a better card later I can always put the card into my other pc (that one has an ati rage pro 128 32 mb now...)

I'm also wondering if there's any way to put a pci-x card into my pc. Some sites have articles about AGP->PCI-express convertors...
Old 19-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #4
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

PCI-e to AGP convertor sounds like a bad idea. The bandwidth that PCI-e is capable of is higher then AGP, so there would be quite a performance loss. Why did you choose a AGP-motherboard in the first place, if I might ask?

Edit: Oh and I agree with Picard that the 6600 is quite a good one. I bought a Asus EAX700/256mb myself (€115) which has a Radeon X700 onboard. I'm not very wealthy you see :P
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 19-07-2005, 04:01 PM   #5
Danny252
I have a custom title!

got a 128 here, 64 downstairs. downstairs does most games at highest detail unless you stick yourself in a huge battle, then maybe a tad slow. 128-er up here does just about everything fine. just the connection that sucks.. BROADBAND ON FRIDAY!
Old 19-07-2005, 11:31 PM   #6
Koen
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Reup+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Reup)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Why did you choose a AGP-motherboard in the first place, if I might ask? [/b]

It just was a cheap one (120 euro), and I think it's a quite good one for its price: intel p4 3.00 ghz, 512 mb ram, 120 gb hdd, dvd/cd rewriter, a soundcard, and that videocard...

Quote:
Originally posted by Reup@
I'm not very wealthy you see :P
Me neither LOL

<!--QuoteBegin-Danny252

BROADBAND ON FRIDAY![/quote]

fun fun joy joy