Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #21
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Unfortunately,

as times goes opposite of freeware releases will happen.

Nintendo with Virtual Console and Microsoft with their xBox Live service are proving that old games still have great commercial value, so in the future I see more of the games being protected by organizations such as ESA.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 27-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #22
Ioncannon
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via MSN to Ioncannon

I would rather see new drivers built so DOS can use some of the newer hardware out there, so you don't have to build a whole new PC to get DOS working perfectly.
Ioncannon is offline                         Send a private message to Ioncannon
Old 27-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #23
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Nintendo with Virtual Console and Microsoft with their xBox Live service are proving that old games still have great commercial value, so in the future I see more of the games being protected by organizations such as ESA.
The goal of Abandonware is to protect the memory of old games, especially those gems which are still great nowaday.

Having gaming companies actually making their old games available on the general market is something which would go in that direction. It would actually be a good move for us as long as Abandonware in general is concerned. Which mean that we welcome such idea.

And let me tell you, everytime this way of thinking been mentioned, we got to see who really are here for the love of old games VS those who are here for the love of free games... :amused:
Old 27-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #24
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
The goal of Abandonware is to protect the memory of old games, especially those gems which are still great nowaday.

Having gaming companies actually making their old games available on the general market is something which would go in that direction. It would actually be a good move for us as long as Abandonware in general is concerned. Which mean that we welcome such idea.

And let me tell you, everytime this way of thinking been mentioned, we got to see who really are here for the love of old games VS those who are here for the love of free games... :amused:
If you buying the same game over and over, as the new consoles comes call support of gaming industry, you're more then welcome to buy them.

Just out of curiosity, how many of those Virtual Consoles or xBox titles you have? Also, how many retro-pack games such as Capcom Classic Collection, Sega Genesis Collection, Namco Museum etc. do you have?

I'm all for preserving my games, but paying for the same game over and over is not that smart IMHO.

BTW, what retro machines do you own?
Old 27-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #25
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I do not see how this is relevent, since having games available on console should not stop us from hosting DOS games since they are not the same.

And it's completely irrevelant how many console or computers I have at home, too...

I use no virtual consoles. I might have one or two zipped on my computer, but only for archival purpose...
Old 27-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #26
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You're sure it is not relevant??

You are sure Sega will not ask to have Golden Axe (just example) removed, as game is now available trough VC?

The thing is that before VS and xBox live we could say that site is meant to preserve games, but what now when that game is preserved by it's owner??

And don't get me wrong (as you always do), I'm not against emulation or virtualisation, on the contrary, I support both of them. :amused:
Old 27-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #27
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Products they would release on a console are completely different than products they'd release on the PC. Those can't mix.

You would not be able to download them back into a computer and play those games, for example. This mean that the preservation purpose is still valid on the site.
Old 28-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #28
Panthro
Man of Science

Personally, I am very much in favour of companies keeping their products alive.

There are a couple of problems with this however.

1. Games companies, in particular those associated with the PC, are very vunerable to going out of business, which is why many smaller ones get swallowed by the big publishers.

2. Retail of classic titles should have wide availability, and should be priced fairly. I was happy to pay for sierra compilations, as you get several good games for £5-10, but I recently got stung for a copy of Final Fantasy VII, thanks to our good friends on a popular internet auction site.

I'm aware that the value of something depends on popularity and quantity, and as there are relatively few copies of ff7 around, and many bidders, the prices can get beyond original retail prices.

I've rambled a little, but to return to the original subject...

In this broadband-enabled world wide web, there is no legitimate downloading site available on which games from every era are available to download for an appropriate fee.

Music has shown us the way, legit download sites have taken off in a big way, despite the availability of free illegal downloads. People dont mind paying if they pay an appropriate price for something they want.
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro
Old 28-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #29
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Products they would release on a console are completely different than products they'd release on the PC. Those can't mix.

You would not be able to download them back into a computer and play those games, for example. This mean that the preservation purpose is still valid on the site.
It is the same game, different ports. It is the same with Amiga vs. PC games. They are different, but in essential they are the same games.

Lucas Arts is rare company which went down after Amiga versions as well, no matter that Amiga computers are not on sale for last 15 or so years.

Speaking of preservation, games on this site are not meant to be preserved, but are here just for nostalgic reasons that board members can play them.

Real preservation would mean to preserve original media, floppies, CD images etc. in their original form. (no saves, no changes etc.)

SPS (Software Preservation Society) preserved most of Amiga games in their original state. How hard was to preserve those games, I believe I don't have to mention. Amiga had special flopy protection, which meant you can't even made original copy of games you own. They (SPS) made completely new image format that would preserve copy protection as well. Also they are trying to have all versions of the game, including original, budget, copilation etc.

They are working on extending their project on different formats, including IBM PC.

Note, for legal reason they are not offering any of the games on their site.

So, next time you use preservation purpose in argument, think about real preservation.

There was a TOSEC for PC games (I believe I might even have it), but I'm not sure if they update it. (Note, tosec also include cracked-hacked games) Planet emu has other tosecs, but they don't have anything of PC tosec.

:amused:

I didn't get an answer about my signature. Am I legal to quote you?? :laugh:

Last edited by Rogue; 28-03-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 28-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #30
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I understand what you mean Rogue, but it's not the same thing for Amiga games and PC games. You are pretty much comparing apples and oranges. Just like you can't compare Abandonia to console emulation, which by the way I do not support.

I could write you a 2 page long "essay" on this like I already did in the past, but I'm at the job right now. Someone else can probably explain the difference to you better than I can.

And yes, you can quote me. I don't mind.