Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

If the DOSBox configuration file is the same for all PCs, then how about offering a standarized config autoexec, and make it PERFECTLY clear that the ONLY thing the newbies have to do is to create a folder with a GIVEN name at a GIVEN location for them to unzip their games into?

Let's say for instance:
"Before you copy and paste these lines into your DOSBox config file, at the END, BELOW the line that says "autoexec", MAKE SURE you have created a folder on your C: drive named Dosgames, so that you have a C:\Dosgame folder."

Then have the copy/paste lines ready for all.

Of course, any often occurring problems that can be standarized can be addressed this way.
Old 25-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Or even easier - make a default folder to which DOSBox mounts automatically.

Upon instalation you have to choose where you want to install DOSBox anyway. How about if intalation creats a DOSGAMES folder on the same drive?

All that would be needed then is to say that every game should simply be placed in that folder and that's it.

On the subject, I've just made something like DOSBox for dummies and sent it to Data (our contact with the DOSBox developing team - I think he has quite a lot of influence on the DOSBox project) trying to cover the most basic steps to run games with DOSBox.

DOSBox for (gamer) dummies
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 25-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

That ought to do the trick Nice one.
Old 25-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #4
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Thanks, I hope it helps. I'm seriously tired of typing those step-by-steps for individual games.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 25-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

isnt d-fend and stuff like that made for this? :P
Old 25-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

From what I've read, d-fend and those aren't flawless but have issues that DB doesn't have.
Old 25-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Jul 25 2007, 01:15 PM) [snapback]301270[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
If the DOSBox configuration file is the same for all PCs, then how about offering a standarized config autoexec, and make it PERFECTLY clear that the ONLY thing the newbies have to do is to create a folder with a GIVEN name at a GIVEN location for them to unzip their games into?

Let's say for instance:
"Before you copy and paste these lines into your DOSBox config file, at the END, BELOW the line that says "autoexec", MAKE SURE you have created a folder on your C: drive named Dosgames, so that you have a C:\Dosgame folder."

Then have the copy/paste lines ready for all.

Of course, any often occurring problems that can be standarized can be addressed this way.
[/b]
I'd say... No. Not that the idea is bad in itself, but then we'll start getting hordes of newbies who DON'T create the folder and can't figure out why the hell DOSBox doesn't work.

Quote:
Upon instalation you have to choose where you want to install DOSBox anyway. How about if intalation creats a DOSGAMES folder on the same drive?[/b]
Not bad idea, though adding an additional step during the installation would be more flexible. In that step, the user would have the option to pre-configure the directory used as the default C:\ mount (and the installer would create it if neccesary), so that it is added to the autoexec during the installation process (along with the C: command to automatically switch there).
I don't think it would be much of a problem to add that to the installer, and it should help out most newbies with the very basics. Of course, more experienced users can also choose to disable that step and have fun configuring it all manually.

Quote:
From what I've read, d-fend and those aren't flawless but have issues that DB doesn't have.[/b]
As for frontends... I've tried a few, and DBGL seems to be the best one out there, all things considered. According to Data, it doesn't have any known issues with DOSBox, and the entire thing is really just a pretty and user-firendly config manager/launcher.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

the game install programe could search where dosbox is installed...

btw all these guides on DOXBox - they never meniton you need quite strong computer to run it. so if someone has an old 800Mhz computer and XP installed he might have problems running things in DOSBox...
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 25-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
Data
retired

maybe create a special dosbox version installer that adds that extra directory and mounts it ?
creating installers isn't that though. and it might be nice to have an abandonia dosbox installer which is compatible with all games or so .

Not sure if this is a good idea, just thinking out loud..
Old 25-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I think that's a very good idea.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman