Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
pollyisagoodbird

Unhappy Hyper 3D Pinball won't "install" or run

I recently downloaded Hyper 3D Pinball for D-Fend Reloaded. I got it here:

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/hyper-3-d-pinball-2tf

When I run the program, the installation screen for the game pops up, telling me how much RAM and disk space I have and such. I get to a screen asking me if I want to install in-game animations to my hard disk. I give my answer, hit "Enter" to accept, and the screen goes black and the program closes. I have images inserted to show what I'm dealing with. I'm playing in full-screen mode.

This is my first time trying out DOS emulation, so I don't know if I'm forgetting to do something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ugh1.png
Views:	744
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1912  Click image for larger version

Name:	ugh2.png
Views:	709
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1913  Click image for larger version

Name:	ugh3.png
Views:	732
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1914  
pollyisagoodbird is offline                         Send a private message to pollyisagoodbird
Old 13-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Did you tried DOSBox? (First, obvious, question
Old 13-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
pollyisagoodbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Did you tried DOSBox? (First, obvious, question
D-Fend Reloaded comes with and works with DOSBox. It does all of the dirty work.
pollyisagoodbird is offline                         Send a private message to pollyisagoodbird
Old 13-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You see, 80% of the time when a frontend user comes to us with a problem, the cause turns out to be the frontend. The other 20% its turns out to be an assumption that a frontend is magic pixie dust that will make every game run perfectly.

In this case, your frontend hides from you several important error messages.
That copy of the game is borked beyond repair as far as I can tell.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 14-03-2014 at 02:45 AM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
You see, 80% of the time when a frontend user comes to us with a problem, the cause turns out to be the frontend.
Umm... Sorry, pollyisagoodbird this is exactly what I wanted to say. "Did you tried pure DOSBox, without frontends".

But yes, game looks heavy broken for me, and I wasn't able even get your "no CD" message.

This version works quite good for me. Try it?
Old 14-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
pollyisagoodbird

Quote:
Umm... Sorry, pollyisagoodbird this is exactly what I wanted to say. "Did you tried pure DOSBox, without frontends".

But yes, game looks heavy broken for me, and I wasn't able even get your "no CD" message.

This version works quite good for me. Try it?
Okay, here's what I've done so far:
I downloaded the other version of Hyper 3D Pinball and extracted both of them into separate folders on my C drive. I then mounted the C drive and the directory where both folders are kept. I then did uvconfig.exe for the version of the game I downloaded today and it set DOSBox up. Then I input runcd.exe, and it prompts me to input 3DPINBALL. I do so, and it gives me an error message telling me that it could not install UNIVBE.exe. I get the same message with the version of the game I downloaded a few days ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	meh.PNG
Views:	945
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	1915  
Old 14-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Was it version from link that I gave you?

Actually, you need only two things with it: extract game into hpinball dir, and mount dir from one level above (i.e. dir "hpinball" must exist on virtual C". After that running 3dpinball.bat worked just fine for me. But let me try to reproduce...

...Aha, I see the problem now.

See, command line parameter to runcd is game dir. If dir is wrong - game will not work. In your case you installed game into PIN dir, but trying to start it from hpinball dir. Either change "..\hpinball" string to "..\pin" in the bat-file, or rename "PIN" to expected "HPINBALL".
Old 14-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
pollyisagoodbird

Quote:
Was it version from link that I gave you?

Actually, you need only two things with it: extract game into hpinball dir, and mount dir from one level above (i.e. dir "hpinball" must exist on virtual C". After that running 3dpinball.bat worked just fine for me. But let me try to reproduce...

...Aha, I see the problem now.

See, command line parameter to runcd is game dir. If dir is wrong - game will not work. In your case you installed game into PIN dir, but trying to start it from hpinball dir. Either change "..\hpinball" string to "..\pin" in the bat-file, or rename "PIN" to expected "HPINBALL".
I renamed the directory and it worked! Thanks!
Old 28-04-2017, 08:00 AM   #9
IAmAGuest
Default Running Hyper 3D Pinball

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have a questions of my own.

I've got to the point where Hyper 3D Pinball at least TRIES to run - that is, it actually seems like it starts, but then immediately exits with no error. I suspect it can't initialise the video mode and my modern Geforce 960 card does not support the mode the game is trying to use. I've tried a number of combinations in the uvconfig.exe file but haven't found anything that works.

Are there any solutions for this, or do I just need to accept that this is a game that just won't run on my hardware?

Old 28-04-2017, 01:29 PM   #10
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmAGuest View Post
I've got to the point where Hyper 3D Pinball at least TRIES to run - that is, it actually seems like it starts, but then immediately exits with no error. I suspect it can't initialise the video mode and my modern Geforce 960 card does not support the mode the game is trying to use.
Wrong answer.

This game is DOS. So no use to try to start it under modern Windows.

Use DOSBox, as described above, and everything will be fine.