Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Metal: Needed or Unneeded?
Slayer 5 4.81%
Metallica 21 20.19%
Gwar 2 1.92%
Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne/Black Label Society 8 7.69%
Anthrax 1 0.96%
Slipknot 4 3.85%
Other (please specify) 63 60.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2006, 11:17 PM   #11
Iowa
Game Wizzard

I get what you're saying and, on a wide scale, you're probably right. I'm more into the new kind of metal (Mushroomhead, Slipknot, Motograter, American Head Charge), and I do submit to not have listened to much of the old metal because, well, I like new metal more.

I thought about putting Iron Maiden on in the first place, but didn't because I thought most people here would like the newer kinds of metal like I do. I'll try to check out some IM when I can, they sound like they'll be pretty good, and it's cool that you've linked to the videos, but for the last bloody time I have dial-up and cannot view any video!

...sorry, but throughout the course of my internet surfing over the years i've had about one thousand people try to link me to videos, and i'd have to reply with the same answer I gave above.

And when I meant I don't want to make you as an enemy, I said it because I have a WWW-renowned reputation for getting into long, long arguements with people and eventually having them hate me. I decided to kill it before that could happen because on this forum, what with the rule-crunching admins and all, I don't need enemies.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:39 PM   #12
WolverineDK
Game Wizzard

Iowa: mate I don´t need you as an enemy either

(those I have a couple of)

But hmmm you could always ask a mate, or two , if they have broadband connection, then you could always check the links that way or ask a couple of friends for MP3 files or make them burn some CD´s and so forth, and it is a bloody pain in the arse not having a broadband connection.
WolverineDK is offline                         Send a private message to WolverineDK
Old 09-08-2006, 11:40 PM   #13
Shunk Eat Enemy
Game Wizzard

Quote:
What era of Slipknot are you reffering to? All three albums? Pre-"Subliminal Messages"? "Iowa"?
Because Slipknot completely changed styles in each album...[/b]
I like there second album, the self titled one, along with iowa and Mate Feed Kill Repeat, there 4th one Vol 3 is good but i like the older stuff better, it's more raw sounding.

As for the term "numetal" i hate it sounds like your belittling the heavy metal of this generation, i do dislike most of it like, "Bury your dead" "Atreyu" "Avenged Sevenfold" and "Unearth" for example. I do appreciate the good classic metal like Judas Preist and what not. If you have never listened to any classic metal you can't possiably call yourself a metal fan. Thats just my thoughts.

Hay Iowa check out this thread.
http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index...howtopic=11562
I hope its not against the law to link to other threads here

also check out www.mfkr1.com
Shunk Eat Enemy is offline                         Send a private message to Shunk Eat Enemy
Old 10-08-2006, 02:15 AM   #14
Iowa
Game Wizzard

I understand your views, and I, for the most part, agree.

It's funny because I used to think Iowa sucked and hated it because it lacked tune and was chock full of screaming...but now i've started to really get into it. "People Equal muck" is the best track on the CD, after "I Am Hated" and "Left Behind".

I've heard one Avenged Sevenfold song that I like, can't remember the name, but it started with a really fast guitar riff and was featured on Burnout Revenge.

Atreyu is...well...I don't like it.

Bury Your Dead is, from the MTV video I saw, pretty much meaningless...I do, however like Korn. Especially "Y'all Want A Single?" and "Freak On A Leash".

WolverineDK: you don't know how glad I am that you decided to not hate me, and if you've never had dial-up...you can't even possibly fathom how *blank space intentionally left by poster for want of a negative enough adjective and not wanting to use profanity* bad it is. Glad to have you as a buddy!
Old 10-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #15
Cloudy
Game freak

Hello there!

Firstly I would like to say metal is very very good.

As for fave metal band though, that's harder. There's so many to choose from, it really depends what kind of mood I'm in at the time.

Recently I've been listening to the first few albums by Ulver (after the 3 folk/black metal style albums they went in a very electronic direction. The more electronic stuff is well worth checking out as well actually). Umm, also been listening to the Nightfall in Middle Earth album by Blind Guardian a lot. And... *thinks* I was listening to Chimaira's self-titled album earlier today.

Oh and Iowa, you need some Maiden!!
Cloudy is offline                         Send a private message to Cloudy
Old 10-08-2006, 08:19 PM   #16
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I use to really like metal, but have grown over it I guess. That's why I voted 'mediocre'.

But I always was a huge Metallica-fan, until that black album of theirs. I also liked Megadeth I once (1992) went to a great concert in Rotterdam where both Metallica AND Megadeth played (and Suicidal Tendencies, but they kinda sucked) k:
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 10-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #17
WolverineDK
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cloudy @ Aug 10 2006, 07:15 PM) [snapback]247816[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Recently I've been listening to the first few albums by Ulver (after the 3 folk/black metal style albums they went in a very electronic direction. The more electronic stuff is well worth checking out as well actually).
[/b]
Did you say Electro ? ;-)

http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?s...ic=6302&hl=

and here is the old metal thread.

http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?s...ic=6145&hl=
WolverineDK is offline                         Send a private message to WolverineDK
Old 11-08-2006, 08:22 AM   #18
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

Im kinda finding my way into this kind of music, and one band ive found to be pretty sick is Opeth. I've only got two albums, but lovin it. Another one is wednesday 13, a cd i stole off a friend for a joke (got pummelled :wallbash: ) and i started listening to it and i liked that too. I got Slayers 'God hates us all' which i listened to for a bit and liked, but their anti-christ attitude got a bit old after a few days. And no matter what i do, i can never seem to get my hands on Slipknot for some reason. But anyway yeah, 's pretty good stuff. Im kind of in the middle of a metal/frank sinatra phase now for some reason. Dunno how that happened...
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 11-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #19
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Opeth is a cool band, especially their latest Ghost Reveries, but for me at least they are starting to get really samey, and really not too much of a fan of their longer songs, don't like the way they pull it off, if want to listen to a long song, Dream Theater is my fav (A Change Of Seasons 24 mins and all good)

Lot of good albums coming out the end of this month and next month, Iron Maidens new one A matter of life and death, Dream Theater's live album Score, Blind Guardians A Twist in the Mist in September, Rhapsody of Fire's in September as well, and the Gigantour DVD. Very Sweet.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 11-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #20
Iowa
Game Wizzard

*laughs* My god, Maiden must be good, what with all the people urging me to listen to it...

Oh, and if anybody watching this topic ever gets the chance to obtain "Sun Doesn't Rise" by Mushroomhead, take it!. It isn't very intense stuff, but the total greatness of the vocalized rhythym in the song makes up for it!

#Blakhole#:
Quote:
Im kinda finding my way into this kind of music, and one band ive found to be pretty sick is Opeth. I've only got two albums, but lovin it. Another one is wednesday 13, a cd i stole off a friend for a joke (got pummelled ) and i started listening to it and i liked that too. I got Slayers 'God hates us all' which i listened to for a bit and liked, but their anti-christ attitude got a bit old after a few days. And no matter what i do, i can never seem to get my hands on Slipknot for some reason. But anyway yeah, 's pretty good stuff. Im kind of in the middle of a metal/frank sinatra phase now for some reason. Dunno how that happened... [/b]
Well, you got off to a very good start on metal with "God Hates Us All", and I can see why people would get tired of their anti-christ attitude rather quickly. The main reason why I can say that I won't get tired of it for some time is the fact that I have the same beliefs that they do. Also, if you need some Slipknot (or any other awesome music for that matter), a really sick and awesome [legal!] MP3 site is: This! The songs are around eleven cents apiece!

And lastly, can any Metallica fan explain something to me? Ok, I was at Hot Topic and I saw a Metallica shirt that said "Metal Up Your behind" with a knife sticking out of a toilet. I don't recall seeing this on the list of albums that they released...did I miss it, or is it something different?