Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-11-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
Petter1979
Game freak

I was wondering if when a game is being uploaded and there is made a topic for the game, with the review+download link, that the original poster maybe add usefull stuff in that post, posted by others in that thread.

Like below the review+download link, the original poster adds info posted by others(with credit ofcourse) on how they got the game to work with maybe dosbox, VDMSound ect.

I have seen quite alot of good info in threads, only to be drowned when posts get added up, and are no longer on the last page in a thread, often ppl misses the good info, and then add a new question, when its maybe already answered a few times earlier in the topic.

ex: I have made a few informational posts about the game Ascendancy and how to get it to work fine in windows XP with VDMSound. And to adjust mousespeed. It would be better if the original topic starter adds that information to his first post, so when ppl comes by and want to download the game, much usefull information is in that first post.

Petter1979
Petter1979 is offline                         Send a private message to Petter1979
Old 17-11-2005, 12:47 PM   #2
Nikson
Game Wizzard

That's a pretty good idea
But it involves the reviewer actually creating the topic, and then getting the responsibility of frequently reading through the topic to find new useful bits of information.
Some of the reviewers have put so many games up that this would be impossible. And some reviewers might just not want to have that responsibility.
Nikson is offline                         Send a private message to Nikson
Old 17-11-2005, 01:06 PM   #3
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Actually, something like this has been spoken before. I can't exactly remember the name oh those "topics" you suggested. Or simpley pages with info.

Idea was to create this "info pages", probably adding a link on the review page. Those info would consist of topics as you said. Whoever wanted to create such page for a certain game was supposed to go through the topic of the game where everybody already posted their problems, solution to the problems and other useful stuff. I think that a special team for this job was supposed to be created but probably too few applied.

Anyone remembers this. I can't find topic with this idea because this info pages had a specific name and i can't recall it. Maybe someone knows the exact name of this "info topic".
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 17-11-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
Petter1979
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikson@Nov 17 2005, 06:47 PM
That's a pretty good idea
But it involves the reviewer actually creating the topic, and then getting the responsibility of frequently reading through the topic to find new useful bits of information.
Some of the reviewers have put so many games up that this would be impossible. And some reviewers might just not want to have that responsibility.
Maybe there could be created a form of volunteers administrators(sp) that have rights to edit posts/topics only, but i dont know if its possible, since i dont know much about forums, how they work.
Petter1979 is offline                         Send a private message to Petter1979
Old 17-11-2005, 03:14 PM   #5
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

seems like it would more become another job for the updaters and administrators, although a special team could be made for it.

We kind of talked about this once before about making FAQ's from the questions asked in the games' threads.
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 17-11-2005, 05:22 PM   #6
Petter1979
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by ReamusLQ@Nov 17 2005, 09:14 PM
seems like it would more become another job for the updaters and administrators, although a special team could be made for it.

We kind of talked about this once before about making FAQ's from the questions asked in the games' threads.
FAQ's would be nice, but would they cover all the problems with diffrent games?

I was more looking for specific information for each game, made by ppl who share their experience with each game, and if they got Dosbox, VDMSound etc to work, or just plain WinXP.

As you mentioned i am leaning towards some volunteers, who maybe could get this to work, and not to put aditional load on updaters/administrators.

If this was made i would volunteer to help.
Old 17-11-2005, 06:14 PM   #7
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

It's a good ideea, but, as you all said, it would need someone to take care of it. Maybe do like HoTU ? People which take care of those pages, provide reviews.... ? It would be cool, but because this site is also translated into other languages, I assume that those pages would need to be translated too, which would turn into a problem because there are ~4 people working on every translation and their work would double in this case.
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 18-11-2005, 12:52 AM   #8
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Petter1979+Nov 17 2005, 09:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Petter1979 @ Nov 17 2005, 09:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ReamusLQ@Nov 17 2005, 09:14 PM

FAQ's would be nice, but would they cover all the problems with diffrent games?

I was more looking for specific information for each game, made by ppl who share their experience with each game, and if they got Dosbox, VDMSound etc to work, or just plain WinXP.

As you mentioned i am leaning towards some volunteers, who maybe could get this to work, and not to put aditional load on updaters/administrators.

If this was made i would volunteer to help. [/b][/quote]
well, the FAQ's would have to be continually updated...at least, that's the idea.

Which is also a problem, because we have over 670 games on the site...updating the FAQ's for all of them would be kind of hard...
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 18-11-2005, 01:50 AM   #9
Petter1979
Game freak

^^^I wasent suggesting that if it was made that the volunteers should go through all 670 games, but just 1/few when they have time and is interested in the game, and if they bump into usefull information, then add the info to the topic starters post.
Old 18-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #10
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

's an interesting idea, but it falls down for me in a couple of areas - first off, it's a heck of a lot of work, and second, I don't really see why we should go out of our way to help out the people who can't be bothered to use the search button or scan a couple of pages of the game discussion thread (UFO would probably be an exception since it's such a long thread, but there are a number of tech support threads about it that a search will bring up, not to mention the thousands of hits on a google search) - as for the compatibility thing you mentioned in your last post, there are already compatibility icons next to each game on the game list and on each game's page (as well as in the text of many reviews) - seems rather unnecessary to repeat that a third time.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone