Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
Nilex
Forum hobbit

Exclamation One online game store to rule them all

So I noticed you fine folks like to post game deals in here. Isn't that cute.
Put this in your daily routine: https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/. The End

Why visit over 20 hit-and-miss stores hoping to catch that one sweet deal when you can have others carry the workload for ya
Current flavor of the day is Syberia on GOG. Believe me, when I said "daily" - it was an understatment

P.S.
Feels good to have our forum back. Yiipii!
Nilex is offline                         Send a private message to Nilex
Old 10-11-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

Greetings, Old Master aka Jackie Chun Li.

I have some questions before I start to comment:

• Are you wanting to be my successor in the role of Poke-man in the Realms of Abandonia?

• Are you wanting to compete with (Mi)Lady of the Rings?

I thank you for the interesting information. It is like a compilation of games on sale.

I will only show some cons without flaming:

• It is preferable to buy games directly from the Developer / Publisher online stores (Origin, Steam, Battle.net, Metaboli, GOG.com, etc.);

• Or on reliable online stores like Gamersgate, GamesPlanet.com, etc.

I say this because I already bought a game from Metaboli, on an online store linked to IDG named GameDownloads.com, but the online store shut down years later.

I asked for reimbursement to Metaboli (GamesPlanet.com) and “bought” another game. And you see, I thought an online store linked to IDG would be solid and reliable.

So who guarantees that a cheaper online store will not go bankrupt afterwards? Better be safe than sorry.

Anyway, the decision is individual and each one needs to carefully analyze and reflect on their choices.

Kamehameha!
Old 11-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
Nilex
Forum hobbit

You should be an announcer for the fighters before the match

Hope I won't disappoint you but my ambitions don't go further than simply trying to justify taking a member space by posting something helpful here and there. Got caught in one of them periodical nostalgia waves so I'm a lot more active in them retro communities in the last few months. But I want to keep my head above the water, not letting myself get drowned by it, in attempt to maintain some balance for myself. Hope that makes sense.

The r/GameDeals/ deals either come as keys for Steam (some 20 sellers, including GG/GP), GoG, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, and in rare cases, physical copy (US mostly). Rules are very strict so there are no suspicions key sellers there. If any goes under it's of no consequence because the key has already been activated. As I understand your store bankruptcy concern then only affects those mentioned above?

I asked myself the same question before I made my first Steam purchase. Came to the conclusion that Steam will out-last them all, as well as my physical media copies. And I also got tired of constant tinkering with installing/patching the game so it was and still is the best option for me.
Now lets imagine every store dies tomorrow, what would that mean for me? Nothing. Because once I purchase a game (or license, how they like to call it) anywhere I am care-free to retrieve it at my leisure from any of the many preservation sites out there. I know without a doubt I'm in the reasonable majority

It's been a long time since I saw someone with your concern. Average Joe is just happy to see their games running not thinking about it. So your comment is a positive refreshment. I can offer small re-assurance: when asked about the possibility of Steam bankruptcy Gaben said they would offer all games you purchased as DRM-free download before that happens. Only after reading that did I start buying on Steam.

Not sure if I answered your question so I'll be on the lookout for more.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilex View Post
You should be an announcer for the fighters before the match

Hope I won't disappoint you but my ambitions don't go further than simply trying to justify taking a member space by posting something helpful here and there. Got caught in one of them periodical nostalgia waves so I'm a lot more active in them retro communities in the last few months. But I want to keep my head above the water, not letting myself get drowned by it, in attempt to maintain some balance for myself. Hope that makes sense.

The r/GameDeals/ deals either come as keys for Steam (some 20 sellers, including GG/GP), GoG, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, and in rare cases, physical copy (US mostly). Rules are very strict so there are no suspicions key sellers there. If any goes under it's of no consequence because the key has already been activated. As I understand your store bankruptcy concern then only affects those mentioned above?

I asked myself the same question before I made my first Steam purchase. Came to the conclusion that Steam will out-last them all, as well as my physical media copies. And I also got tired of constant tinkering with installing/patching the game so it was and still is the best option for me.
Now lets imagine every store dies tomorrow, what would that mean for me? Nothing. Because once I purchase a game (or license, how they like to call it) anywhere I am care-free to retrieve it at my leisure from any of the many preservation sites out there. I know without a doubt I'm in the reasonable majority

It's been a long time since I saw someone with your concern. Average Joe is just happy to see their games running not thinking about it. So your comment is a positive refreshment. I can offer small re-assurance: when asked about the possibility of Steam bankruptcy Gaben said they would offer all games you purchased as DRM-free download before that happens. Only after reading that did I start buying on Steam.

Not sure if I answered your question so I'll be on the lookout for more.
Greetings, Old Master Jackie Chun (sorry, but I much prefer Chun Li than Jackie Chun...).

I am sorry if you took offense... But it was not my intention.

I am former Poke-man who had the poke-powers sealed by the great Emperor Japo(deis) (not Capo nor Paco).

And the (Mi)Lady of the Rings is the current owner of the real and magnificent Custom Title “One ring to rule them all...”

Yes, for the vast majority, they buy on online stores where the game is cheaper. It may be that these online stores are solid and do not shut down.

But even so, I, on the other hand, prefer to purchase directly from the online stores of the developers or few large online stores for convenience and security.

It would be much more comfortable if I had an account without having to create other accounts of intermediaries online stores. The exception would be few giant online stores like Steam, GamesPlanet.com, Gamersgate, etc. Because it would be very inconvenient and confusing for me to open multiple accounts in several intermediate online stores.

This would be just my personal opinion, but each one defines their choices as for the convenience.

But, although I have my opinion divergent from yours, I appreciate the link because I can know new online stores.

PS: Be very careful with the (Mi)Lady of the Rings, as she and the Iron Lady form with Miss Lulu_Jane Marple the Iron Ladies that control some Realms of Abandonia with iron hands.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
Nilex
Forum hobbit

No offense taken amigo

Enjoy your ever increasing backlog of games
Old 12-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The link contains a good idea, but what it needs to add is: expiration date of the offers.

I can see potential using this thread to bump each time we find a FREE offer though. You can't go bad with free stuff. They're abandonedware in practice.
Old 20-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #7
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face Origin: Free Games ‘On the House’!

Origin is offering for a limited time the game of the time ‘On the House’: Plants vs. Zombies ™ Game of the Year Edition.

Unfortunately, I do not know until when the game will be available for free to be added to your Library. You must register on Origin.