Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Search Forums:
Click here to use Advanced Search

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
Scatty
Treasure hunter
 
Scatty's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Little big small world
Posts: 1,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
you'll be literally forced to pay monthly subscription fees to some repititive and uninteresting team-oriented games where you need to pay for every small feature.
Why? There are old games. There are so many of them. And they are lots of fun. There are Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate II, Total Annihilation - Kingdoms, Gothic 1 etc. There are even more, great older Ms-Dos games.
Who needs those new games? I don't.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #12
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire
 
Eagle of Fire's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Valleyfield, Canada
Posts: 4,892
Default

God. Arete's link is the best fucking gaming article I've read in about 15 years.

What can you say after reading that? It really sums everything up very nicely.

Much to my despair.

Edit:
Quote:
Who needs those new games? I don't.
Except that almost all those games you just mentioned end up being "new games" for me?
__________________
I'm on a hot streak... Literally.
Proud member of The Abandoned since 2005.
Eagle of Fire is offline                         Send a private message to Eagle of Fire
Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #13
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier
 
Dave's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Emilia, Italy
Posts: 8,518
Default

I'm disappointed by many new games, however there are still interesting titles around which I enjoy to play, there are also some Indie developers that have my full respect, I really admire them.

Quote:
why are we here?
Well, my reason is because I wanted to play some old games I loved (and still love) again, but this doesn't necessarily means that I have to cut off all the new ones.

Of course, I think the "Massive Industrial" side and the run for the sales are ruining the gaming world, at least the creative part of it.
__________________
Dave is offline                         Send a private message to Dave
Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 03:05 AM   #14
Retronator
Newbie
 
Retronator's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
Posts: 4
Default

That article is fantastic. The first image about sums it up for me. Actually, 4 years ago I've already seen the same image somewhere else.

At the time I was working as a game reviewer and I was browsing through the latest issue of our magazine (Joker, Slovenian gaming mag). It was in 2007 after the Games Convention and we had a big report of upcoming games shown in Leipzig that year.

I was disappointed. Gun, gun, army, battle, gun. It was the same as the image from the article - I was staring down a gun sight in every fucking screenshot. I was getting tired of the industry year after year. So I went ahead and showed what's happening to games. I grouped all the upcoming games from that report by theme - focusing on whether gameplay is on the destructive (FPS, RTS) or the creative side (think SimCity).


Code:
Firearms   Other weapons (FRP, fighting)
Sport      Racing
Arcade     Puzzle (thinking, adventures, etc)
Creative
And now I'll show you exactly why we're here. Because 4 years ago, I went to Abandonia to use it as an example, of what old-school gamers like us desire today. I took the top 100 games (by popularity) and again counted how many fall in which category.



I think the results speak for themselves. We're here, because what the industry is offering is way off of what we (perhaps a tiny, dieing segment of gamers) actually want.

I loved me a good shooter back in the days, but what I hate about today is that we're forcefed a shooter after shooter after shooter (with a new year of EA Sports games and Need for Speeds as a side dish). Fuck that.

Last edited by Retronator; 21-06-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Retronator is offline                         Send a private message to Retronator
Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 04:38 AM   #15
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire
 
Eagle of Fire's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Valleyfield, Canada
Posts: 4,892
Default

I like how you didn't take the generalized genres into account but went with other descriptions like "creative" or "sport" instead.

Because, let's face it, the big gun companies did destroy the meaning of a lot of those genres and generalized it into what they wanted them to.

Branding Diablo II as a RPG or Red Alert as a strategy game rings to mind...
__________________
I'm on a hot streak... Literally.
Proud member of The Abandoned since 2005.
Eagle of Fire is offline                         Send a private message to Eagle of Fire
Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #16
Scatty
Treasure hunter
 
Scatty's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Little big small world
Posts: 1,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Edit:
Except that almost all those games you just mentioned end up being "new games" for me?
Let's see...
Neverwinter Nights - around 2002
Baldur's Gate II - 1999
Total Annihilation - Kingdoms - 1999
Gothic 1 - 2001
Unreal (the very first) - 1998

By today that would be old games
Also in my personal opinion Baldur's Gate II is better than Neverwinter Nights in terms of game fun, while Neverwinter Nights already goes on the trend of better graphics.
I still remember those and many others appearing in gaming magazines back then. It should be said that there are also still good games made today even, like The Witcher, Assassin's Creed and Fallout 3. But those are few among the many unimaginative ones in the style of EA games or the (recently going bankrupt) Jowood.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #17
Pex
Game Wizzard
 
Pex's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 249
Default

When I saw the topic title I thought it was one of those deep discussions about existance and meaning of life. Well, I was close enough

Lot's of fine arguments already mentioned and good old 'to each his own' can be applied again. So, I'll answer the question:

I'm here because I loved playing video games since my first C=64 back in early eighties and I found so many great games on this site that I loved at some stage but lost due to different circumstances, plus many more that I never got a chance to play (even while groving up in the country where pirate games were advertised in newspapers ). I post in this forum because there are so many members that share the same passion for the old games and I had many great discussions regarding different games.

Saying that, I still like so many new games, too. For example, once I finish checking this site and a few others I regurally do once I come home from work and have a dinner, I'm going to play Disciples III till bed time.
__________________
Pex is offline                         Send a private message to Pex
Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #18
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10





 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Beograd, Serbia and Montenegro
Posts: 2,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pex View Post
even while groving up in the country where pirate games were advertised in newspapers .
Wow, what country is that? Does it still exist?

I hate old games, I'm here strictly for reviews and PoEs so I can satisfy my animal need of dominance which I can't do in real life because I suck big time
Aaaand old games are in general more creative and fun than the most of new ones. But there are still visionaries out there that need our interest to survive... That's hope. And I was thrilled to see game like Portal. They actually created new kind of logical game thanks to new technologies. Like it couldn't be done before. Like they didn't use new technology for another improved copy of something. Yeah, it's one among million, but that just means we should tell others about those rare new games that are actually good.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Let's see...
Neverwinter Nights - around 2002
Baldur's Gate II - 1999
Total Annihilation - Kingdoms - 1999
Gothic 1 - 2001
Unreal (the very first) - 1998

By today that would be old games
Well, you might wanna check the newest Call of Duty... in 10 years, I mean, it will be old then :P
I agree that games after 1995 can be considered "new", but still you named a good titles.
And Unreal 1998 is NOT the very first. It is the first in FPS series. Hail to the VERY FIRST.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #19
dosraider
Dismembered.
 
dosraider's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dixmuide, Belgium
Posts: 2,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
why are we here?
Good question.
Let me put it this way:
If I had a harem filled with warm tender willingly gorgeous woman, I certainly wouldn't be here posting this.

And I'm pretty sure a lot of so called 'regulars' think the same.
__________________

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #20
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead
 
arete's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Waterside, South Africa
Posts: 3,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Arete's link is the best fucking gaming article I've read in about 15 years.
What can I say?

Also, I started singing "Always look on the bright side of life", Lulu, and the whistling will not lightly leave my head. Grawr!
__________________

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump
 


The current time is 03:26 AM (GMT)

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.