Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-08-2007, 07:54 PM   #11
lcy459

This was the first RPG I ever played and brings back many nolstalgic memories. The best part, and I think subsequent RPGs never really reproduced it, is the inventive magic system. I remember spending a good amount time designing deadly spells that would kill entire armies. Yes, I found it very satisfying indeed to see these work.
Here, you actually get to design spells from basic building blocks which is a lot more innovative than the Elderscrolls system.
lcy459 is offline                         Send a private message to lcy459
Old 26-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #12
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

I've still got my original copy of this. Fun game, except that the final boss is so waaay out of line with everything else you fight that winning is more a matter of luck than skill, and that just wrecked the enjoyment of it, for me. Until then, it's great.

By the way: do *not* return to the guy who gives you the quest for the mage's staff, after you acquire it. The reward isn't worth 1/10th the value of the staff itself, given the power boost it gives to your own mage.

Also, max out your party's spell ingredients towards the end. You'll need it.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 27-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #13
chumloofah
Game freak

Bah. :ranting:
I can not find a 5th ornate key to unlock the way out the first dungeon.
It could be something to do with the puzzle room in which I can only figure out how to make the wall shoot a missile and not do anything.
Anyone got the skinny on this pickle?

Last edited by arete; 15-02-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: smiley fixed
chumloofah is offline                         Send a private message to chumloofah
Old 29-08-2007, 10:55 PM   #14
Zaru
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chumloofah @ Aug 27 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]307037[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Bah. :angry:
I can not find a 5th ornate key to unlock the way out the first dungeon.
It could be something to do with the puzzle room in which I can only figure out how to make the wall shoot a missile and not do anything.
Anyone got the skinny on this pickle?
[/b]

Open the portcullis to lever A with the Azure key (it can be found in the cauldron to the west of the entrance). Pushing lever A will unblock firing mechanism of lever B. Walk to lever B and push it. The fireball will strike southern rune and deactivate the spikes near lever C.
Go to lever C and push it to activate rotation mode of lever B. Push lever B to rotate the NW pillar. The next step is to deactivate rotation mode of lever B. That can be done by pushing lever A again (it sets lever B to firing mode).
Push lever B and then push the button after fireball lowers the spikes.

---
Think of it this way:
- Lever B is in null starting position. Neither rotates the NW pillar, neither fires a missile. Modes are to be switched by levers A and C.
- Lever A activates firing mode of lever B.
- Lever C activates rotation mode of lever B.
---
The button you pushed disabled the spikes in the room with two fountains, three spikes and closed door that didn't want to budge.

PS. I just made it to basement level 2 and now I know that you were talking about a different riddle. I'm on trail of those ornate keys.

EDIT (After some struggle with the game): Now, concerning our problem with Ornate keys on floor 2 (yup, I'm stuck there too right now). There is a Teleport rune available at The Ancients (A cave NE from the city with the first dungeons). I guess that would help to move a party member to the other side of the stream so he can pull that lever. I think that this lever removes the floor rune that blocks wall-missile from hitting the last rune. But... the teleport rune costs 4000 gold pieces so I cannot afford it right now, and therefore cannot validate my idea.
Zaru is offline                         Send a private message to Zaru
Old 30-08-2007, 09:49 AM   #15
chumloofah
Game freak

Thanks for the effort, Zaru
chumloofah is offline                         Send a private message to chumloofah
Old 30-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #16
Zaru
Abandonia nerd

As for the battle tactics, what I found efficient is to have your berserker selected as a leader enter every chamber as a first character and run fast to the opposite room's entrance where vile creatures may be expected to come from. If the chamber we're entering is a room with many entrances or it's a corridor with crossroads, quickly move your berserker to the middle of it.
If monsters start to pour into your party location, quickly enter berserker's rage and rally. Then switch to assassin and turn on hide in shadows. The last thing you do is disable runecaster's combat mode to prevent him from getting close to monsters. The faster you do that, the better outcome you may expect.
When an enemy gets into melee with your magic user, quickly destroy him with missile-damage (usually it's only a single enemy). When you encounter beholders (level 2 basement of the first city) make sure you kill as many minor enemies with missile-damage as possible. That will allow other party members to concentrate their attack on beholders thus eliminating them quickly from combat.

EDIT. I have managed to accumulate 4000 coins and bought the teleport rune. But apparently you cannot teleport into areas that are separated by water/walls and to which you do not have a direct access. So the idea of teleporting a party member to push that lever simply proved wrong. Maybe it is possible to create some kind of telekinesis spell? I don't know.

EDIT: When your characters reach level 2 of experience (berserker - level 3) I would greatly recommend to go outdoors to skirmish some enemy armies (only those under hawk banners). If you win such battle, you can scavenge some really fine equipment and a fine amount of cash. Till now I found a mithril: dagger, blade and helmet and three moon wands (I don't know what they do, though).

Well back to the riddle...
Shooting the rune with missile-damage reveals a floor tile with a skull on one of water tiles that I didn't notice until now. What is the purpose of this, I know not. I tried killing one of my characters on this tile and re-shooting the rune, I tried shooting the rune while one of my party members was standing on this tile (no effect). I tried dropping various items and using various magic on the tile. Nothing seems to work. Perhaps there is some kind of rune that is pictured by the sign of skull but, if it exists, it would probably cost more than 4000 (more than my party can afford right now).
Also, I have a silver key in my inventory and didn't find a door for it.

LIST OF MAGIC ITEMS (to save you all those trips to the Ancients):

Golden Helm: Forward-Damage
The Golden Helm item is quite a useful one. Although wearable only by berserker and troubadour and does not give any AC protection, it allows to damage enemies in front of the character (after it's used). It has ca. 30 charges.

Wands:
I guess all wands have around 21 magic charges. Wands can be used by runecaster only.
- Amber wand - Missile-Damage-Damage, launches firebolt with double damage.
- Moon wand - Surround-Thrall, makes surrounding monsters obedient.

Rings:
- Amber - Antimage
- Serpent - Heal
- Cloud - Teleport
- Sun - Regeneration

Potions:
- Serpent - Heal
- Golden - Regeneration
- Dragon - Regeneration-Speed-Antimagic
- Bronze - Speed
- Cloud - Teleport

(still updating)

EDIT: Corrected the issue with the amber wand.
Old 30-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #17
chumloofah
Game freak

Hang on, then.
You mention you went and got the teleport rune.
Did you get the *spoiler spoiler spoiler* at the end of the dungeon.
You need to used 4 ornate keys to get it, and I could only find 4 ornate keys on the floor (that dang puzzle being the only unpassed area).
You need another ornate key to open the way back.
It's gotten to the stage I'm thinking I might have missed something earlier and now I'm screwed...
The game wouldn't do that, would it? :tai:
Old 30-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #18
Zaru
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chumloofah @ Aug 30 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]307847[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Hang on, then.
You mention you went and got the teleport rune.
Did you get the *spoiler spoiler spoiler* at the end of the dungeon.
You need to used 4 ornate keys to get it, and I could only find 4 ornate keys on the floor (that dang puzzle being the only unpassed area).
You need another ornate key to open the way back.
It's gotten to the stage I'm thinking I might have missed something earlier and now I'm screwed...
The game wouldn't do that, would it? :tai:
[/b]
Hold on a second. So you found the 4th ornate key to unlock the fourth portcullis in the buttons room? I've got only three and one silver.
<strike>Could you please PM me your map of level 2 of basement? I think I've missed a door but I just can't find it.</strike>

EDIT: Aaah! I managed to solve the riddle and get the fourth ornate key to open the portcullis in the button room. I won't give a direct solution because I don't want to spoil the fun. I'll give a hint instead.
Hint: Do you have any amber wand? Maybe it's time to use it?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #19
chumloofah
Game freak

Eureka!
On the cryptic advice of Zaru I found myself completely without wands on any kind. :wallbash:
However, I did have an amber potion which didn't work.
So, out of the dungeon and scaling the cliffs to reach the cave of the ancient i asked him, "Hella potion's that?"
And he said it had the anti-mage symbol on it.
Back to the dungeon, freshly kitted out with the anti-mage rune and spell components.
I blasted the runes with anti-magic missiles... Nothing.
I tried missiles with damage and anti-magic... That dispelled the original tile and needed a regular missile to bring it back.
After all that my frustration gave me the solution...
Quote:
I wanged that rune with a double damage spell. that's missile-dmg-dmg and ought to get anybody who didn't suss it out rolling[/b]
Old 01-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #20
Fantasy Freak

Hi Guys, just out of interest this game is actually a sequel to another ace game called Bloodwych (a 2 player first person RPG). Another classic, I managed to track it down but can't find the mission pack. :-(

Also not sure if you guys can get Worlds of Legend on here (the sequel).

When I played Legend on my Atari ST I got as far as the last dungeon, but never got around to finishing it!

Fantasy Freak is offline                         Send a private message to Fantasy Freak