Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Dead Alien
Wandering Ronin

Default 1000 words

I had a conversation with someone the other day and i get frustrated when hearing peoples outlook on life. This is kinda a experiment so i cant say much of why im doing this cos that would be suggestive and ruin the demonstration. Please give your comments or opinion about this photo. I'll explain more later.

Dead Alien is offline                         Send a private message to Dead Alien
Old 05-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

My opinion is that it shows the divide between the idealized culture and lifestyle of the 1930's in America and the the actual day to day reality of the Great Depression. Also the race divide within media and economic status which although somewhat different still continues today.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Also, hats used to be A Thing
Old 07-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Dead Alien
Wandering Ronin

Well i didnt get many replies yet so i'll just say the reason was this -

Believe it or not but people don't see anything or get any meaning from the picture!!! They just see 'oh its a picture'. The symbolism just passes by.

The guy that i was speaking with actually said "what does it mean?" Well Lulu, your proof that im not crazy. Its plane as day and no words need to describe whats going on here to someone that isnt brain dead. What is wrong with people?!

Last edited by Dead Alien; 07-03-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: typo
Dead Alien is offline                         Send a private message to Dead Alien
Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Maybe the guy just didn't have any context for the photo. It's possible they don't know enough about that period in history to recognize it, they're from a non-western culture all kinds of things.

Comedy answer: Is blind.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The segregation of an artificial and idolised elite contrasting the average street-view is obvious with the photo.

Dunno what's your intent with the picture, but definitely lack of replies is part of the obviousness of the picture, part that abandonia is not a community-site, but a gamer-site.

For that I suggest anyone seeing that picture look up the intro-movie of Fallout 2 too!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Are there any games with the Great Depression as a background? I can't think of any.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Panthro
Man of Science

Massive financial meltdown (for whatever reason) would certainly make for a convincing "apocalyptic" backdrop for a game. It's certainly an alternative to the usual zombies or nukes. It's also something which has happened in many places before, so there's lots of real-world examples to draw from.

Moving back to the picture in particular... It's interesting to see that at this moment, as we have a similar disparity in many parts of the world between massive wealth and absolute poverty.
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Dead Alien
Wandering Ronin

Yeah i need to find more forums that are alive so i was just Blah, blah, blah here

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
The segregation of an artificial and idolised elite contrasting the average street-view is obvious with the photo.

Dunno what's your intent with the picture, but definitely lack of replies is part of the obviousness of the picture, part that abandonia is not a community-site, but a gamer-site.

For that I suggest anyone seeing that picture look up the intro-movie of Fallout 2 too!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Blah blah as you like, that's what this place is here for