Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #2071
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@Jan 14 2006, 05:52 AM
well, In the DOS download of the game there is..but when I click on the batch file, it opens up a DOS screen and tells me its a bad command or file name. Im'a take it into wordpad and see if I can fix anything.
The dos version of Enemy Unknown that is downloadable from this site is a zip file of the entire dos cd. I was the one who uploaded it to the site and one of my previous posts gives detailed instructions on how get it running in dosbox. If you are running it in a windows environment that supports dos, you will have to burn it onto a cd, as it has no "install to the hard drive" option (being written before the hard disk revolution, so around 4 megabytes was a lot of space). As I only registered on the 26 of november of last year, you will not have to go that far back to find the post. Running dosbox on a Win98 setup is easy, but my 633MHz PIII with 512MB of 133MHz memory can only be described as slow. The next time I can spend a few hundred dollars on something frivolous, I will get a box with a multi-GHz CPU and 533MHz FSB, assuming, of course, that I do not buy the LEGO Mindstorms NXT set, first.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 14-01-2006, 05:06 PM   #2072
Cockroach
Abandonia nerd

The CD version can be run from the HDD. You just have to give the path to the folder on the HDD where the files are instead of the CD-Rom letter.
Cockroach is offline                         Send a private message to Cockroach
Old 15-01-2006, 05:02 AM   #2073
bitter_enigma

For those with difficulties due to bugginess...

I found that saving your game often (basically after any successful mission or big base development) will help with your woes. I also have a problem where the reporting graphs are useless... but you can make do without them, really. Just pretend the aliens are scrambling your intelligence. And let's face it, military intelligence? Oxymoron or what!

Sometimes the problem might be a corrupted save file. This tends to be the case if the game keeps crashing on a particular date. Just go to a previous save game and speed up time to check if that file is ok, then go with that one.

I play it under xp and, after a bit of early frustration, got it running pretty well. The game is definetely worth the bit of grief it may give you to begin with!

Happy huntin'

Old 15-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #2074
Guest_Mark

Hi,
Can anyone help me? I've got Windows 2000 and I cannot get UFO to work on it. I've tried several different downloads from various places, and I have an original copy I bought years ago, but the result is the same whichever one I use. It used to work fine on my old Win 95 computer. Basically I click to open the programme file, the screen then goes black, as if it's about to enter DOS mode and load the game, but it returns me to Windows with no explanation. The best result I have got is with the DOS version from this site. The glorious "Microprose" logo comes up, and everything looks encouraging. But then it goes wrong when I click start new game, and try to select a location for the first base. As soon as I click somewhere on the map, the game crashes and returns me to Windows. If anyone has any ideas for a fix please let me know, I seriously want to play this game!
Cheers,
Mark

Old 15-01-2006, 10:06 PM   #2075
laiocfar
NOD Commander

This last problem is new? No?

Answer to problem: try Dosbox.
Old 16-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #2076
bitter_enigma

This site has posts and links which deal with every imaginable issue with XCOM:
http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/lofive...x.php/f22.html

Old 16-01-2006, 04:44 PM   #2077
Guest_Mark

Yes!!! I tried Dosbox and it all worked beautifully. Thank you so much! I can kill aliens to my heart's content now!
Cheers,
Mark

Old 17-01-2006, 03:39 PM   #2078
blue123
Abandonia nerd

Interceptors cost a lot. I have ten, that's about 6mil/month, and with maintenance...

-1 942 355 MONTH!
blue123 is offline                         Send a private message to blue123
Old 17-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #2079
Wolf Thug
Super Freak

Is there no manual for the game...
Wolf Thug is offline                         Send a private message to Wolf Thug
Old 17-01-2006, 06:31 PM   #2080
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf Thug@Jan 17 2006, 07:27 PM
Is there no manual for the game...
The manual is in the Extras box.
k:

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo