Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-08-2005, 02:40 PM   #1591

Wow, it sure says a lot for a game that it can keep a thread going for this long.
And this long after it's release even.

Old 16-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #1592
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Well, if all those problems persist, maybe the DOS version could be made available for download? Sure, you'd need Dosbox to get it to work properly, but it seems a lot more stable than the windows version.
Old 17-08-2005, 12:13 AM   #1593
Mindstorm

Quote:
Originally posted by R Havell@Jul 16 2004, 12:59 PM
I think I've spotted my problem here, all of my people go into battle with either a rocket laucher or a heavy laser AND a laser rifle and they all only have 30-40 movement points! I guess I should stop giving them so much stuff!

A question: Are my soldiers less accurate if they have a rifle in their right hand and a pistol in their left (rather than just a rifle)?
As you can easily spot, a pistol is one-handed weapon, and a rifle - two-handed.
Try to check your chance to hit with/without a grenade in other hand.

Old 17-08-2005, 12:37 AM   #1594
Mindstorm

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Sep 13 2004, 07:14 AM
After reading this lengthy thread, I have to admit I have no clue what some people around here says about UFO being hard. It's only hard if you fire yourself in the feet!

Just never overload your men, always keep time for a snapshot + kneeling everyturn and never rush your men into battle. I should say that deploying your men as a team which try to cover eachother while being spread enough to avoid heavy grenade casualty is good also, but really obvious IMHO.[...]
Having primed (0) Smoke Grenade in your pocket also helps! But not in TftD.
But in TftD you can use this tactic using grenades:
1 - one soldier sees an alien;
2 - backs up one square;
3 - another soldier primes Pulse Grenade to 0 turns;
4 - throws it under first one;
5 - which throws it under an alien;
6 - repeat steps 3 - 5 until you are sure alien will die.

Old 17-08-2005, 02:26 AM   #1595
Mindstorm

Quote:
Originally posted by BugMeNot@Feb 2 2005, 08:15 PM
Wow, didn't know that.

But i cant seem to stun robotics (obviously I guess) - so how do you get live speciments of the cyberdisk and that reaper-looking robot? Since the scientist talk about needing a undamaged speciement to look at.

And have I understood right, that the only way to go on from where I am, is to locate a large or very large ufo and stun left and right at the control center?
Capture Sectoid Medics and obduct them. This gives autopsy on random unknown kind of alien, Cyberdisc and Sectopod too, eventually.

Old 17-08-2005, 02:33 AM   #1596
Mindstorm

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadianmonk3y+Feb 2 2005, 11:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Canadianmonk3y @ Feb 2 2005, 11:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Autopsies are worthless besides giving you points for each month's score. Only waste your time on them if you have nothing better to research. (HIGHLY unlikely, but whatever)

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Feb 2 2005, 07:15 PM
Quote:
QUOTE (Jman4117 @ Feb 1 2005, 04:54 PM)
Well, It's the aliens command center. And besides, Commanders and Leaders are the toughest aliens to fight, so they belong on the final mission.**

Yes i know but a general is a general for gods sake!
Thats a litle unrealistic.*
At least the gameplay is superb.*
(Sory im from Poland so my spelling is not so good.)
General rank for your squaddies is only a rank based on how many squaddies total you have in your command. It doesn't add anything to your squaddie other than tell your how good he his in comparison to the others.

If you were going to make an incredibly important attack as a Commander of your army force, you would probably wish to attack only with skilled officers instead of fresh recruit even tough you very well know that most of them won't return. The result of the battle is what count, not who goes and die there...

<!--QuoteBegin-BugMeNot Posted on Feb 2 2005
Quote:
@ 06:36 PM
How will I know who's the commander?

You won't know for sure on the battlefield but as soon as you captured a live one (live is the key word here) it will show on your scientific research list.
Soldier rank also does affect soldier's abilities. Although I would have to check references, they gain small amounts of abilities with rank increase, along with their steady increases from using the abilities.
The other genuine affect of rank is with morale. If there is a high ranking soldier nearby, other members of the squad will keep their morale up more easily. The same applies to death, where high rank equals high morale hit but no one cares much if a squaddie dies.

Oh, and if you are really bored sometime, you can mind control a cyberdisc if you have a soldier good enough. If you want to move it though, you have to mind control all four sections, but if you only control one, you can have that section shoot other sections, effectively committing suicide. [/b][/quote]
To mind control a large alien i.e. a Cyberdisc in one go you should do it to its topmost square.

Old 17-08-2005, 02:40 AM   #1597
Mindstorm

Quote:
Originally posted by cod+Feb 5 2005, 04:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cod @ Feb 5 2005, 04:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Guest@Feb 1 2005, 09:46 PM
Hey there!

I didn't look through all the 24 pages so far (stone me to death ) so I'm asking it now despite the danger that somebody else might have already asked this question...

Situation:
Whenever I want to examine a wrecked UFO by sending those... troopships (sorry, am new to the game) and I click the OK button when the game warns me that I might encounter aliens now and have to fight, the game crashes!

Is it necessary to have a successfully functioning graphics card in order to play those combats (for mine crashed about a month ago)? Strange then that everything else concerning the game works...

If it's the graphics card messing around I really think about buying a new one only for UFO Enemy Unknown... would be somehow odd, wouldn't it? LOL
The game will crash if u have any other aircrafts on the map.

So just allow all crafts that are out on a mission to return to their bases before sending in your elite to kick alien behind [/b][/quote]
You don't have to return with all your crafts to base to avoid game crash. Make them patrol a nearby waypoint. Game crashed also (if I remember correctly - it was about 10 years ago), when you have EMS enabled and press both mouse buttons in tactical combat. It could be exploited as a cheat, because game returned to geoscape with results of a prior misssion.

Old 17-08-2005, 02:42 PM   #1598
X-COM High Command

Hi there,

I've recently downloaded UFO from abandonia and started playing again. It's a great game and I remember the good ol' times when I spent hour after hour to get my troops on Cydonia in the end

Now, the game tends to crash quite often which is a nuisance, though saving all the time helps. However, every time I want to transfer items from one base to another or start a specific scientific research (e.g. interrogation of live aliens) the game crashes. Since these things are vital for succeeding in the game I fear that I might never get to research a live alien leader or may equip all my interceptors with alien weapons.

If anyone knows what I could do about it: help is very much appreciated.

X-COM High Command (Germany)

Old 18-08-2005, 06:02 AM   #1599
minhtuan
Forum hobbit

For old DOS games like Xcom, I suggest you should use dual boot to get Win95 and run Xcom from there.

All XP Service Packs and Windows updates tend to make old DOS programs crashed coz XP has no real DOS.
minhtuan is offline                         Send a private message to minhtuan
Old 20-08-2005, 03:20 PM   #1600
Guest_Grace

hello guys, I don't know if you've discussed this problem before, but I had a little search and couldn't find any answers.
Ok the problem is when I run UFO:Enemy Unknown the intro plays fine, the menu comes up, I click new game, the earth screen then shows, but when I try to build my base the game crashes and goes back to windows, a little box pops up and says:-

C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
The NTVDM has encountered an illegal instruction CS:0000 IP:0077 OP:f0 37 05 0c 02

and asks me if I want to close or ignore.

I have an origional copy of UFO on CD and I'm wondering if maybe there is some update patch I need to run it on lovely modern windows xp...

Or I might be completely wrong. If anyone could help me get this working I'd be really greatful

Cheers,
Grace