Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Abandoned Times
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Kelbert
Forum hobbit

Default people of teh interent

friends, abandonians and the 9,638 ppl of facebook who may only rarely visit the forums.

idk this before but it has appeared that i may not be able to get a remake of simant because there is no abandonia.com magazine with which to help/pressure the guy into making it.

therefore, after examining the past issues of said mag and current issues of making said mag that are apparent in these forums (and being told by TotalAnarchy), may i suggest some alterations in both.

if you have ever searched for employment, you may have recognised that you are more likely to find a job if you are already working.
this can be analogised (lol anal) with this magazine project in that - more people will have more time to spend on it when it is regularly appearing.

that doesn't mean everyone grab a mallet and start smashing the shit out of everything, because that means having to get ppl to grab a broom to sweep up too and that's not as fun.

what i would suggest is, considering that it seems people are searching for others to give solutions and ideas, is to choose one and make that as a page or two.
small scale. small deadline. like - over a weekend or an evening. once a week at least.

it would require 2 or 3 people. 1 person could even do it. 1 to choose art and do layout. 1 to provide the text. 1 to provide abandonia's commentary on the whole thing. maybe 1 more to customise it a bit and give it a polish.

idk how to examine the group memberships here, but i have noticed some people - quite a lot - have the tag to denote them as site zine staff or contributors or something. If you can find a few regulars who would put in a few hours to do something once a week, it would be easy.
it would be practice in itself to make it even better.

presentation, idk - u could have it as a comic reader file or an online doc or an img or whatever. idk where you guys operate most either. or if there are any partner sites that would want a look in.

i don't wanna say it but with internet projects a lot of the time it fails is because of an overextension of effort coupled with erratic schedules. You will notice that the things like this that have succeeded have started like this, until people got their shit together and finally started making something with definite delivery dates. Once established, regular contribution will be a case of moderating comments on the articles (however terrible they are) like with RPS or Kraptaku.

Who, amongst ye of the many forum suggestions and ideas would want to re-establish the abandonia.com mag as something more achievable that would at least exist rather than be a twinkle in the eye of some regulars who haunt the forums?

because, i think that's the best chance there is of it getting back off the ground without you guys building a load of nuclear bombs and setting them off underneath it in a series until it lifts into space.

i'll help out, because - and i know with this plan it's unlikely to happen for a while - I WANT THAT DAMN SIMANT GAME!!!

anyone? no..? cake..? no..?

kelbert
Kelbert is offline                         Send a private message to Kelbert
Old 14-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Kelbert
Forum hobbit

of course, this would mean working together and sharing files online and deciding on a plan and doing it as well as the few hours spent making it to send down the line.
Old 14-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You seem to be fixated to two points: one you want that SimAnt game... And two, you seem to be convinced that we can help you.

I don't care about the first point, but about the second? Why or how?

This site is dedicated to old games of the past. You are asking for a new game to be made up. Beside from that, how could we realistically help you, especially with the magazine?
Old 14-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Kelbert
Forum hobbit

omg it timed out and deleted my reply... shouldn't've made that cuppa.
Old 14-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Kelbert
Forum hobbit

ok - to summarise, cos i am not typing it all out again:

i want my 5$ back off the simant guy, or the game to be made.

steps to get this:

1: get on internet
2: get magazine to do feature article on simant and remake, pressure / encourage dev to finish game
3: PROFIT

ok. i gave up working for free a while ago, and you guys don't seem like you would pay in more than downloading computer games (for which i am very grateful). i suppose this is in lieu of my pay, so my mercenary streak is satisfied. it lets you know that i'm getting something awesome out of this, so i'm not gonna sit around waiting and posting on the internet about WTF IS IT COMING OUT?!?!?!?!!1

proactive n stuff.

so, steps to do that:

2: help abandonia times get going so it can become a quality niche read that encompasses all the stuff like that that the people who make it are interested in. you can make some big ass web reads with even only a dozen or so staff.
3: dress up as spiderman and snog kirsten dunst before telling her to never sing and pretend to be a popstar again. (aka PROFIT!)

but how to get abandonia times going so that it can become the metropolitan bugle and we can all dress as superheroes?

2: start at the beginning
3: profit at the end, in the form of some nice new leggings.

does that make any more sense?
Old 15-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

No. The letters are spilling out from you, but it sounds just like some angry teen babbling. Are you on drugs?

It's all between you and that would-be-developer. There are so many failed game remake project out there, why should we care about this one?
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 15-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Kelbert, there is no way an article can be written about this failure alone. Now, if someone were to write a more extensive coverage of scams conducted on Kickstarter (or failed video game sequels / remakes) then there would be space to mention briefly this as one of the examples.

Abandoned Times is not anyone's personal soapbox. You are not forbidden from writing articles dealing with subjects relevant to your own personal agendas, but you cannot treat the mag as your personal weapon.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 15-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, this was the funniest post in a long time on these boards, Kelbert, dear friend, your only weapon that could be useful is tumblr. Open an account, and there you can rant to your heart's content, and, only the Dark Lord knows, by luck people might find you interesting enough to give you the necessary attention. Abandoned Times is not a blog.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 18-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
Kelbert
Forum hobbit

ok you guys seem to be missing the point i am trying to convey here.

1: i am not on drugs

2: i do not want to rant about indiegogo and simant

3: if a few of you want to reinvent the abandonia times as an e-zine rather than a magazine (something that I think is waay more attainable than a fat monthly issue) then I will help out.

4: the stuff about simant remake is there to show my motivation levels. i mean, if someone is willing to try and help make a marginally existent web magazine - over the course of a few decades - to become the perfect platform from which to throw indie developers to the wolves...

well, what other great things might they bother doing in order to achieve something relatively minor?
Old 18-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
Kelbert
Forum hobbit

what i mean is this, that i did during my lunchbreak:
http://www.viewdocsonline.com/document/ld8knk

i just realised that i've been calling "abandoned times" "abandonia times" like... forever...

so, sorry about that.

Last edited by Kelbert; 18-12-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: iiiiiiiiops