Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

Default Is co-op gonna ruin survival horror games?

I don't think co-op in horror games is bad. In fact, I think it is more believable to go through a monster infested city with a buddy rather than be like Rambo and do it all alone. They didn't do it alone in Dawn of the Dead.

RE6 looks excellent, as does Dead Space 3. Luckily if you aren't a fan of co-op, Dead Space 3's co-op ain't forced.

I thought the Obscure games were brilliant, but they were on PS2 and there's still a certain flaw to them. I thought the co-op in RE5 could have been better, although it was decent.
Hunter Hunted is offline                         Send a private message to Hunter Hunted
Old 21-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

"Double the pleasure". Im more for solo-experiences but a good co-op is a good co-op and its fun every now and then.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 21-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Everything depends on how the co-op mode is implemented.
Also, there are more ways of co-op gameplay than just teaming up in the same location - for example, the players could very well be mostly isolated from each other while having their results aid (or hinder) their teammate.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 21-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

For me, co-op is always welcome. A game is almost always more fun with a friend. There aren't a lot of games that I can think of that I'd rather play alone.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 21-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Everything depends on how the co-op mode is implemented.
Also, there are more ways of co-op gameplay than just teaming up in the same location - for example, the players could very well be mostly isolated from each other while having their results aid (or hinder) their teammate.
I think there should be more games that involve the players sneaking around on their own and only meeting up occasionally, rather than having the group stay together the whole time. Remember in RE2 when Sherry fell into the sewer drain and had to go into the roach tunnel on her own? And Amy was another game where you had to look after a young girl, which lead to the challenge of doing it by means other than weaponry. I think it's better when they make it where the characters can't use guns and must stay near the ones that can. In fact, everybody should have a skill so that they rely on each other to survive. Healing, puzzle solving and firearm use being examples of such skills.
Hunter Hunted is offline                         Send a private message to Hunter Hunted
Old 22-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #6
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Depends on the Co-Op really, RE5 was a horrible game and the Co-Op part was part of the reason it sucked so hard. Every game that ads another human player makes the game just a bit easier, two humans are smarter then one or one and a bot. This isn't a game killer for survival games but it can remove some of the horror and scares, why worry about that monster jumping out from the cupboard and munching on your neck your mate will just smack it off you.

However when done right you will both be running around begging each other for help and dividing your ammo and health out carefully. But time and thought has to go into this idea not just a last minute slap on to add some new feature to your game. And even more thought into having solo and Co-Op in the same game cause if you make it nice and hard for two humans that bot better be real good or you better lighten up the difficultly if you want just one human to play it.

Obscure is a pretty good attempt at making that kind of game, sadly it has its faults. And the 2nd has more faults from what I remember and the story was way out there. One day they could make the good survival horror with Co-Op.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 22-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

Cool

Well, there are also FPS games like Killing Floor, although they don't really scare you, do they?

RE6 is supposed to have 4 campaigns.

So far, it is...

Chris & Piers.
Leon & Helena.
Jake & Sherry.
Ada (not 100% confirmed yet) & ?.
Old 24-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

Killing Floor doesn't scare you? Ever met the Patriarch face to face?

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 24-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Killing Floor isn't really scary, it is tense for sure but not scary.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 25-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

^That avatar is scary!