Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #21
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

heh, heh...do the books in Morrowind count?
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 28-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #22
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Only 6-7 this year cause the lack of time...

But 120 are too much! I forgot even what I've made today at work... my memory is too short to remember so many books like that! :wallbash:
Old 28-09-2006, 06:34 PM   #23
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Yeah, 120 books is a lot. Raffles must be a very fast reader who's got very much discipline. 120 books that's like a new book every second or third day...
Do you you have the time to sleep, Raffles?
Don't get me wrong, I beg you pardon. I don't wanna question that you're an eager beaver. But it is a very huge number you stated. I'm just curious...
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 28-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #24
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DonCorleone @ Sep 28 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]258001[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Yeah, 120 books is a lot. Raffles must be a very fast reader who's got very much discipline. 120 books that's like a new book every second or third day...[/b]
I wouldn't really say there's a lot of discipline involved; I just like reading and have been an avid reader ever since I was five. Obviously some books do take more than three days to get through, but in most cases finishing a book in under three days is a feasible task. All you need to do is read for a couple of hours a day, and that's actually quite easy - provided you're halfway interested in what you're reading, of course. But it isn't as if you needed extra hours in the day in order to read; it's a matter of choice. If you read a lot, all you do is choose to read instead of doing other stuff, like listen to music, play computer games, watch tv, check your email every five minutes, pick your nose, or whatever other ways there are of killing time.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 28-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #25
Himmler
Trollmaster General

wow...you just helped me. now i can read the books for my final exams . now i just need the strength to open them
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 28-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #26
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(A. J. Raffles @ Sep 28 2006, 09:58 PM) [snapback]258006[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DonCorleone @ Sep 28 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]258001[/snapback]
Quote:
Yeah, 120 books is a lot. Raffles must be a very fast reader who's got very much discipline. 120 books that's like a new book every second or third day...[/b]
I wouldn't really say there's a lot of discipline involved; I just like reading and have been an avid reader ever since I was five. Obviously some books do take more than three days to get through, but in most cases finishing a book in under three days is a feasible task. All you need to do is read for a couple of hours a day, and that's actually quite easy - provided you're halfway interested in what you're reading, of course. But it isn't as if you needed extra hours in the day in order to read; it's a matter of choice. If you read a lot, all you do is choose to read instead of doing other stuff, like listen to music, play computer games, watch tv, check your email every five minutes, pick your nose, or whatever other ways there are of killing time.
[/b][/quote]

So your just saying that you:
Sleep,
Read,
Eat/drink,
Read,
Sleep?

That's just living inside a book - no pleasure at all. BTW are there that much interesting books to read out there, so you could really read 100/year? Just not ligical to me... So, what lenght are your books, anyway? I'd consider 200 pages to be a normal book (maybe, a tad short; 250 would be quite nice).
Anyways, keep your spirit-up you reading-maniac . (not an insult, if you think so, just for the record
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 28-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #27
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(troop18546 @ Sep 28 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]258029[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
So your just saying that you:
Sleep,
Read,
Eat/drink,
Read,
Sleep?

That's just living inside a book - no pleasure at all.
[/b]
Of course not only that. But I spend about three hours a day reading, and to me at least that is a pleasure. It's a hobby, if you wish. I know people who spend (or used to spend) at least as much time, if not more, playing MMORPGs, which is living inside a made-up world, if you wish, and I don't really understand the pleasure in that, to be honest. There's no accounting for tastes.

Quote:
BTW are there that much interesting books to read out there, so you could really read 100/year? Just not ligical to me...[/b]
Good question. Well, the answer to that probably lies in what you consider "interesting". I don't really have a specific type of book that I stick to - although there are people who do just that; I have a cousin who reads quite a lot, but he reads nothing but books about ancient Rome, and anything else just bores him to tears. I can manage to get myself interested in lots of different aspects of books: not necessarily their contents, but stuff like the style they're written in, the rhythm and sound of the language, the way in which they build up an argument (regardless of whether I agree with it), their historical, political and religious context, , their publication history, their original - or sometimes their completely predictable - way of handling a particular situation within the story, the dynamics of a play, the sense of humour of the writer... well, I could waffle on for much longer, but you probably see what I mean. Plenty of things, can be "interesting" about a book, you just need to be able to see what it is that makes a particular book worth reading. There's an awful lot of books out there; more than anyone could read in a lifetime, so if you're a bit flexible as to what you consider "interesting", you'll never run out of reading matter because there are so many interesting books waiting to be discovered. Just because a book is old that doesn't mean it can't be fun to read either, so novelty isn't really an issue. I've come across some fascinating medieval texts, for example, which I'd probably never have read if I hadn't been more or less forced to read them for my Middle English tutorials

Quote:
So, what lenght are your books, anyway? I'd consider 200 pages to be a normal book (maybe, a tad short; 250 would be quite nice).[/b]
Well, there are no official criteria as to how many pages a book has to have in order to be called a book. I've read books which were under 100 pages, but I've also read an 18th century epistolary novel that was well over 2000 pages and that was considered rather lengthy by readers even back then. It depends. The time you spend reading a book isn't only determined by the number of pages anyway.

Quote:
Anyways, keep your spirit-up you reading-maniac . (not an insult, if you think so, just for the record
[/b]
Heh, you're going to think me even more of a maniac after reading this. Sorry if none of this makes any sense to you and sorry for having been so wordy, but then again, you did ask for an explanation...
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 29-09-2006, 06:56 AM   #28
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Does that last post count as one? :P
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 29-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #29
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

I think I've read 13 or 14 so far. 2 of those for school.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 29-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #30
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

my problme when i read books is that too often i wander off in my imagination. then i just stare at paper and my mind is somewhere else. so sometimes it takes quite a bit of time to get through the book. not to mention that often i dont' know what was actually written and what my imagination added.

anyway a lot of people say my imagination is too big... i am not sure if that is good or not, but i do know that at the job i am having now it is not helping much.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor