Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Is Diablo a role-playing game or not?
Yes, it is. 20 55.56%
No, it's not. 16 44.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #121
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

No, I mean... It just lead us nowhere.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #122
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

What would you propose then?
Old 13-05-2009, 03:06 AM   #123
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

An action-RPG is still an RPG. This isn't about whether Diablo is a PURE RPG or not.

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 13-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #124
Acethor
HECU Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
The poll is perfect. It simply do not assess the specific question you would want it to.

Right now the poll is simply asking if you consider Diablo II to be a RPG at the base level.

Which also always been the point of this thread.
The thread started originally with Simoneer asking for any other RPG games like Diablo 2. The very next post was Fifth contradicting him and saying it wasn't an RPG. Everyone (besides you and Fifth) said that it was an Action-RPG in the following posts and then eventually Fifth made a new thread with a poll asking "Is it an RPG or not?"

When in actuality no-one had ever asked if it was an RPG or not. A better poll question would have been: "What genre is Diablo 2?" With options for Action-RPG, RPG, Adventure, etc... and I bet we would have gotten at least 80% of the votes saying it was an Action-RPG.

We need help!! Click the link above if you're interested!
Acethor is offline                         Send a private message to Acethor
Old 13-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #125
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Quote:
What would you propose then?

Nothing. This whole arguement is stupid, which I have thought all long. I didn't start it, Fifth did.

I feel ashamed for having spawned this bullshit. It's just so silly. Not only is there no point in arguing about what genre a game is, but the people in here are like sooooo attached to their opinions, and are arguing about 2 contradicting things. It just can't work out. Most here aren't very reasonable at all. We've ended up bashing each other in one way or another. It's so unnecessary.

I agree with it being an action-RPG, though. And I also agree with what AlumiuN said... I think.

Last edited by Simoneer; 13-05-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Simoneer is offline                         Send a private message to Simoneer
Old 13-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #126
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Let's blow some shit up. That never gets old! And the emotion of seeing thing go up in flames could re spark the camaraderie lost in all this arguing. I propose we put fire to a gas station

I don't think that Action-RPG makes much sense as a genre (I remember I used to refer to this kind of games, when I was a kid, as an "Arcade with character sheet" ), but I'm not looking for arguing about this because it will lead us nowhere.

And I find that this kind of arguments, when involving some of this kind of games about which people feel strongly, usually leads to fighting, bad blood and stubbornness.

So now, let's all shake each other hand and agree to disagree. And blow some shit up :P
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 14-05-2009, 12:28 AM   #127
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
and I bet we would have gotten at least 80% of the votes saying it was an Action-RPG.
It would be pretty stupid for the 44% of the voters who voted no to vote for Action-RPG, considering their choice.

What I'd expect from such a poll would be a result of about 30-50% in favor of various choices related to RPG (like Action-RPG), which would be the highest amount due to the so widespread belief that it is an RPG game... Largely due to the way the game itself was advertised, as I already pointed out earlier in this thread. Then the rest of the voters would be scattered around the rest of the choices, with a small amount of people voting Rogue-like for the simple reason that most people don't even really know what a Rogue-like is and Action being the second highest.

Quote:
The thread started originally with Simoneer asking for any other RPG games like Diablo 2. The very next post was Fifth contradicting him and saying it wasn't an RPG.
You are talking about what is now two separate thread. They been split for obvious reasons. If you would have access to the MOD forum, you would be able to see that I requested the split myself... I don't see the point of this argument: there is no need to think that we are doing any kind of harm to the original thread nor to think that the whole issue started from it. IMHO, this issue is around since as long as I know the game exist, which is something between half a year and a year after it's original release... And for all I know, it must have started even earlier than that.

Me and Fifth simply happen to be strong believers of side which strongly believe that Diablo II is not an RPG. It is not the first time that I jump head first in such an argument, and as long as I do not firmly believe that I am wrong then it won't be the last time either.

For me it is really not a matter of arguing. It is a matter of seeking the truth, and what make me think this whole argument or crusade is worthwhile is the fact that so many people (who don't know better) firmly believe that Diablo II is a classic RPG game... And I also believe that those "so many other" are also in vast majority. (*sigh*)

Quote:
Everyone (besides you and Fifth) said that it was an Action-RPG
We are obliviously not reading the same thread then. Many people voiced their oppinion against the idea that Diablo is an RPG, and many even said exactly what I said, which that Diablo II is in fact a graphical Rogue-like!

Last edited by Eagle of Fire; 14-05-2009 at 12:36 AM. Reason: syntax
Eagle of Fire is offline                         Send a private message to Eagle of Fire
Old 14-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #128
ianfreddie07
wat

Really? I thought you said it was something like "A graphical adventure/arcade/simulation/action/racing game with any genre other than RPG" or something.
Old 14-05-2009, 04:46 AM   #129
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:

We are obliviously not reading the same thread then. Many people voiced their oppinion against the idea that Diablo is an RPG, and many even said exactly what I said, which that Diablo II is in fact a graphical Rogue-like!
... Except Rogue has been branded as RPG for 20+ years. Who are you to dispute that?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/cpc/ro...adventure-game

See that genre? There's not even multiple ones. You'll have a very hard time finding any site that brands it as an arcade/action game which you claim it to be. And if Rogue is classed as RPG, why would a modern remake suddenly NOT be one?

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 14-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #130
Acethor
HECU Marine

Quote:
It would be pretty stupid for the 44% of the voters who voted no to vote for Action-RPG, considering their choice.
There may be people who voted "No it isn't" because they don't think it's a classic RPG... which is what the dumb poll question implies. I'm willing to bet you that the majority of people here would say Action-RPG. Maybe like 4 or 5 people would say other stuff. Why didn't Fifth just post a fair poll question in the first place? Because you guys are mods so you get to make the poll questions heavily biased?

Quote:
Me and Fifth simply happen to be strong believers of side which strongly believe that Diablo II is not an RPG. It is not the first time that I jump head first in such an argument, and as long as I do not firmly believe that I am wrong then it won't be the last time either.
I am a strong believer of the opposite. But at least I can compromise by agreeing with you that its not a classic RPG. But you can't even compromise a tiny bit by agreeing that Diablo II has enough RPG elements in it to be branded 'Action-RPG'. Shouldn't we try to find some solution that everyone is happy with?

We need help!! Click the link above if you're interested!
Acethor is offline                         Send a private message to Acethor
Closed Thread