Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see other computer games on abandonia?
Yes, I like the idea. 11 42.31%
No, I don't like the idea. 10 38.46%
I don't care! 4 15.38%
I would like to learn more about other computers before making any decision. 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Thumbs up

I know this is frequently asked question, but I wonder if anything changed. By checking Abandonia's front page, I saw a lot of low-end games, or the games that would get 1-2 points out of 10 in most computer magazines, I suggest again that we (and most importantly Kosta) rethink other computer emulation.

I suggest one (or more) of the following:

Sinclair ZX Spectrum
Apple ][
Commodore 64
Commodore Amiga
Atari ST

All of those computers have a lot of great games, but some of graphics on older ones do not look so great. Atari ST and Amiga's games look and play better then PC games of that time, but Amiga requires kickstart (which you can only buy, if you never heard of google) and Atari released ST roms.

C64 and Apple ][ might require some basic knowledge about those systems. (actually all of them require some knowledge)

There are some sites that you can use to get games for those computers, but they don't have good reviews or screen shots, and games for those systems might be lost forever.

I created the poll to, but this is not official poll made by an admin.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 15-08-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
Dino
Call me Edmund

I gave it a good thought, and I can say that I support the idea. That would bring abandonia many more visitors and in that case, this site would become really unique (regarding to Anubis' remark that there are no sites with good reviews and screenshots of those games).

That would mean a lot of work and reorganisation, surely, but if enough members are ready and willing to help, it could work out.

Of course, if Kosta and admins give green light to that idea.
Old 15-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I like it, but there are allready so many sites hosting those games... We should stick to our core-business here. Abandonware DOS-games! There's still a lot of ground to cover in that area.

But: It's Kosta's call. I can imagine that Abandonia with just the DOS-games is allready a pretty costly affair to keep running... so increasing the load significantly without and fair increase in donations would be difficult. Off course, the ESA-shakeout could perhaps have caused a dip in traffic... I don't know.
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 15-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It would help if people who like to learn more about emulation ask the questions or start the topic about it, so that we can help.

As for other sites hosting those games. There is no single site that has both review and download for thos games.

For example lemon c64 or amiga site has nice review and screen shots, but no downloads, while c64 site has downloads, but no review. Also most of download sites are not so standardized as we are.

As for hosting, more games for different computers will bring more trafic, and also more users, and more questions. I believe that I can help with most of troubleshooting, and if not, there are some other emulation experts that can help too.

And after the all, Abandonia is already emulation site, as DOSBox is emulator, same as VDMSound or DOS/Command prompt.

EDIT:Added screen shot of one of the C64 games.
Old 15-08-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

As much as I like the idea (Nuby, znaš da sam fanatik kad se radi o C64) - Abandonia is a site dedicated to old DOS games (the fact that we also have Windows games is already a bit weird, but at least it's still for PC).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 15-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

We have both, DOS and Windows games.

But don't forget that not only PC had and used DOS.
Old 15-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
a1s
Hero Gamer

now personaly I support any emulation (including those of consoles and macs), for me it's sort of like having a different cultures author traslated for you.
But I still believe we should stick to our main goal (of course a non-pc week/month for creme de la creme would be nice, but no more. while latin might be fun, pax romanum is dead and so is C64 ), in fact I believe that the real future of abandonia lies with it's Reloaded section (If you still haven't seen it, I stongly recomed you do, it has some pretty fun games to look at). how many games were released for DOS in the last 5 yeras? a bit more than a dozen, and half of those are free to begin with.
so next time when you have nothing to do, consider helping out with reviews, you might find a new favorite game in the process. k:
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 15-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #8
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by a1s@Aug 15 2005, 12:25 PM
while latin might be fun, pax romanum is dead and so is C64 ),
Same goes with DOS. Just after Win95 it began the end of DOS.

AS for reloaded, the games, that big company offered are nice, but most of the other games I find very annoying.
Old 15-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #9
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

Amiga games would be a welcome addition in my opinon.
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 15-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #10
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for C64 games, Amiga games, (S)NES games,... but not here. Maybe there should be something like Abandonia Emulated or something (yet another sister site)...
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos