Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-04-2005, 09:15 AM   #1
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Now i'm not going to lie: I love adventuregames. I don't mind if they are violent or peacefull, dark or happy, scary or funny... I love them. But sadly I think i've played all of the (recent) good ones and even some bad ones (Black Mirror had the worst voice acting ever, but I still liked the dark story and setting)
Now can anybody give me a title of a good (preferable recent, as in the last few years) adventuregame. With that I mean: not obvious titles like Grim Fandango or Myst IV) but games that may have gone by without attracting too much attention but is a good game nonetheless.

from the favourite-genre thread I see there is a big crowd of adventuregamers here (which I already knew) so i'm sure one of you could help me out.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 02-04-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Have you tried RAMA?
It's not that new, but it's an excelent game (based on the book Meeting with Rama by Arthur Charles Clarke).
They don't really do justice to this game at Mobygames.
Oh and HERE is yet another great game.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 02-04-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
Charmed
Forum hobbit

I am not sure what is recent for you, but if you haven't already played them give the following a try ...

Zork Grand Inquisitor
Zork Nemesis
Broken Sword 1 + 2
Gabriel Knight series
Bladerunner

I particularly enjoyed Zork Grand Inquisitor - for me it was the kind of game you dream about people making - it is my personal perfect example of a 1st person adventure game. Not as desolate as the Myst games and not over-crowded with characters. Not too little and not too much - just right.

The snapping flowers bring back memories - aaah....
Charmed is offline                         Send a private message to Charmed
Old 02-04-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
Charmed
Forum hobbit

Oh by the way Stroggy,

You seem to be an adventure fanatic like me so I thought I would share something with you that works for me.

Seeing as adventure games (proper adventures not action/adventure type games) are a rare breed (almost extinct) these days - I have latched onto something new (at least for me) When I was suffering from adventure withdrawal I stumbled across something called INTERACTIVE FICTION (a.k.a. Text Adventures)

Now I am not sure if you have ever tried one, but I can honestly say its about the best thing you can get nowdays with regards to adventure seeing as 2d point and clicks are about dead.

There is a unique charm in Interactive Fiction - it may not have the graphics or a mouse driven interface like the normal adventure games you may be used to, but all the story, puzzles and emotions are there. In fact its the best of both worlds - a book + a game combined ...

All I can ask of you is to put away any doubts you have and to try just 2 games ... They happen to be the first 2 Interactive Fiction games I played and the 2 that got me so hocked that I honestly downloaded almost every text game I could find - I am not kidding either I hunted down almost every thing I could.

A great site for Interactive Fiction is http://www.wurb.com/if/index

But before you go there, go here : http://adamcadre.ac/if.html

Download all the games, but play the following two games before you touch anything else.

9:05 and I-0 (Interstate Zero)

After completing those 2 just try telling me that Interactive Fiction sucks - If you are a true adventure fanatic which its sounds like you are - I don't doubt that you will be hooked for life.

I particularly loved Interstate Zero.

Trust me play those 2 games and any strange opinion you might have will be blown out of this galaxy

And let your mind wonder if you know what I mean "wink wink." Interstate Zero is such a text masterpiece.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

These are probablyt obvious, but I'll name them anyway.

Siberia 1 & 2
Longest journey
Runaway
Broken sword 1, 2 & 3
Monkey Island 1, 2, 3 & 4
Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2
Gabriel Knight 1, 2 & 3
Sam and Max
Day of the Tentacle
Feeble files
Full throttle
The dig

You've probably already played these, but since It's impossible to tell what you consider obvious...
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 02-04-2005, 03:09 PM   #6
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well I've already played all of the mentioned games (including the text adventures, you've got good taste Charmed) except for Grand Inquisitor which i bought but refuses to work. Thanks anyway
Old 02-04-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
TaloN
Hero Gamer

beneath a steel sky is my ultimate point and click, follwoed by discowrld 1 and 2
TaloN is offline                         Send a private message to TaloN
Old 02-04-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
Flop
Hero Gamer

Have you played the Tex murphy games? If not I say give them a try. If you can get your hands on them anywhere, that is.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 02-04-2005, 04:40 PM   #9
Charmed
Forum hobbit

Stroggy you must find some way to play Zork Grand Inquisitor. If you have to install Win98 on a machine just to play it - then do it! If you have to give your little toe away - do it.

Zork GI is one of those must play adventure games. Like I said in an earlier post - Zork GI is the pinnacle for first person adventures in my opinion.

It also ranks as one of my top 5 adventure games of all time.

YOU MUST FIND A WAY TO PLAY IT!
Old 02-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #10
Charmed
Forum hobbit

Well its seems like you have played most of the good adventure games.

Have you played Discworld Noir or Nightlong?

You could also try Atlantis 1 and 2.

Not my absolute favourites - but when you need an adventure ...