Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I have been debating this for a while now and I would like to get everyones opinion on this as I cannot make a decision for myself after about a year.

I want a laptop. I need it to be able to work on the go. I got the PDA to do some text editing but that is limited in its scope and less functional then doing it on a laptop. Going WiFi is also possible but limited on my PDA (not that I regret that purchase). I have been looking for a cheap laptop that I could afford right now but my budget would not allow for much and as a serious techie I would not be happy with a dirt cheap laptop either.
The other option would be to sell my desktop and replace it with a laptop. I could get no more then €500 for my current rig and, although that does increase my budget by about 100% it would not allow me to buy anything either as good as let alone better then what I have now.

My current rig:
AMD64 3400+
1GB RAM
MSI K8N Neo
GF6600GT 128MB (AGP/XFX)
240GB SATA HDD
Antec SLK3700-BQE

A very decent game PC and good for anything else as well.

I would replace it with this (probably):

ASUS A6Va-Q016H
* Intel Pentium M 740 (Centrino) (Dothan 1.73Ghz; 2Mb L2 Cache; 533Mhz FSB)
* 80Gb harddisk 4200RPM
* 512Mb DDR2 533Mhz (1 x 512)
* 8* DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
* 4-in-1 cardreader/ Interne 1.3Megapxel webcam
* ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128Mb VGA
* 15.4" WXGA ColorShine TFT (1280 x 800)
* Windows XP Home NL/UK/FR
* Internal W-LAN 54Mbps/ Bluetooth
* 2 jaar pick up & return garantie
* Gratis Draagtas, Optische Muis

If I spend another €300 I could get this:

ASUS A6Ja-Q007H
* Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66GHz; 2MB L2 Cache; 667Mhz FSB)
* 100Gb harddisk 4200RPM
* 1024Mb DDR2 533Mhz (1 x 1024)
* DVD-SuperMulti Drive
* 4-in-1 cardreader/ DVI poort(!)
* 4 x USB 2.0/ Firewire/ S-Video TV Out
* ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256Mb VGA/ Interne Webcam
* 15.4" WXGA ColorShine TFT (1280 x 800)
* Windows XP Home NL/UK/FR
* Internal W-LAN 54Mbps (Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG)/ Bluetooth 2.0
* 2 jaar pick-up & return garantie
* Gratis Draagtas, Optische Muis

About as fast I am now and a splendid game PC in its own right but a lot more expensive and probably outside my budget unless I start selling things to pay for it besides my PC (like part of my DVD collection).

So what are your ideas about what I could or should do?
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 24-04-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
omg
Games Master

can you get a laptop on credit or h.p? you could well end up regretting selling your desktop rig.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 24-04-2006, 10:36 PM   #3
Master MC
Hero Gamer

Quote:
  • 2 jaar pick-up & return garantie
  • Gratis Draagtas, Optische Muis
Hahah...

Now it depends on what you want to do with it. If it's going to be a game 'console', I'd go for the better one. If it's just a text-editing tool, for internetting and/or playing Dosgames, go for the cheaper one.
O, and, don't go to a shop like Dell. They'll rip you off extremely. My brother works in a computer store, and he can tell you lots of stories. Unfortunately I think 'modding'/'building' a laptop is somewhat difficult (no experience).
Please say something about your goals and method of purchase.
Master MC is offline                         Send a private message to Master MC
Old 24-04-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I am deffnitly not going for loans or credit. I don't want it.

I would like to keep my desktop but that is not possible if I want to get a laptop.

With the first laptop I would pay an extra €600 after selling my Desktop. a lot of money still and more then I would like to. With the second laptop it would be €900 and thinking about it, that is too much. I could get a decent laptop as an extra besides my desktop for less.

So the options still open are keeping the desktop and be assured a gaming experience in a years time or go for the laptop and the convience of having my computer with me at the University. Right now I do not game as much anymore as I used to and the laptop I would buy does have a decent, if not stellar, video card. It would be a step down from what I have now both in terms of raw CPU and GPU power. I have no desire to play Doom 3 or HL2 but will I regret doing this in a year?

I would not buy from DELL, I know what they are like. It would be ASUS and nothing else. They have a free two year waranty that appeals to me. It saves about €100 from the price.
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 24-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #5
Stebbi
Game Wizzard

If you need The Laptop sell you Desktop but if you dont NEED it dont. Just save some money...
Stebbi is offline                         Send a private message to Stebbi
Old 25-04-2006, 01:47 AM   #6
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Yes, you will regret this in a year, if not sooner, though if you will actualy admit it to yourself is another thing.

You are in between selling your fine desktop system, using that money and hundrends more, to get a laptop of less speed and upgradability, for some extra convenience. If I were you, I would keep my money into my account, keep my desktop, and don't spend all that money for a laptop.
Now....if owning a laptop is actually going to bring more money into your wallet, so that you could for example buy a desktop next year, go for it. BUT, in that case, wouldn't it be better to buy the cheapest laptop available
(with a quick search I found this )
that will be fine for your editing.

As I have fallen into the trap before, a word of advice. Be absolutely certain that the only reason you want the laptop is for work/editing your documents. If you want it
because you just want a nice toy (though perhaps not admiting it ) then you will regret
it if you go for the plan of sellling your desktop pc and getting a mid-high end laptop.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 25-04-2006, 04:56 AM   #7
win98
In the loop on hardware.

I would keep the desktop save your money and buy a desent laptop to use with it selling a rig like that is somthing you WILL regret.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 25-04-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I advise against selling your desktop machine just to get a better laptop. The primary point of laptop computers is their mobility. It's pretty much their only superior feature over desktops.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yeah, you guys have convinced me. I'm keeping my desktop. I am going to get my vacation money next month. Maybe with a few extra days of work over the summer I can buy a decent laptop beside my desktop. Thanks for the input.
Old 25-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
win98
In the loop on hardware.

I speak for all when I say your welcome.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98