Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > Approved Requests
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-01-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
shleepy

Default Hyperblade

I don't remember the name of this game - all I remember was that it came on the same PC Gamer Magazine demo CD as Interstate 76, so it's relatively old, but not TOO old.

It was a sort of futuristic fake sport game, a little like hockey. It was pretty violent, but the graphics were not good enough to make it brutal. It was very pixely and full of large polygons (the models looked almost like 4D Sports Boxing ), but the game (or at least the demo) was very fun. Now, I don't completely remember the rules or anything, but like I said, it was somewhat like hockey. There was a big arena and you somehow had potential to decapitate other players (and there were probably somewhere between 5 and 10 palyers per team, and I'm leaning towards the 5, although some part of me is saying there could've been 2 v2 + goalies).

Does anybody know what it could be? Sorry for my extremely pathetic explanation, but who knows, maybe one of you knows it, or maybe has a PC Gamer Maganize collection and can find it for me I would imagine this game is abandonware, as it never got popular at all and it's pretty old.
shleepy is offline                         Send a private message to shleepy
Old 09-01-2005, 11:55 PM   #2
BlackMageJawa
Game Wizzard

Damn, I'm sure I remember seeing a review for a very similar sounding game in an old Amstrad magazine. But I can't remember the title.

I've got a feeling it had the word Steel in it somewhere though.
BlackMageJawa is offline                         Send a private message to BlackMageJawa
Old 10-01-2005, 12:28 AM   #3
User42

I think the game your talking about is called Bloodbowl... I used the have the old pc version on my comp, the different teams were different races (dwarfs orcs and a few undead are the ones I can remember, oh and the elf's that looked like the keebler elves and would get completely pulverized by any other team)

Sound about right?

Only difference I see is I think bloodbowl had like 15 players per team, (you needed alot they tend to get killed).

On a side note, I once knew a guy that had the origional board game, and lots and lots of players.

The era and bloodthirstyness is reminscent of Deathrace 2000 movie and carmageddon IMO

Oh, and Bloodbowl is available to download here, If the name doesnt ring a bell, check it out it may be what your lookin for, ya never know.
User42 is offline                         Send a private message to User42
Old 10-01-2005, 12:39 AM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Mutant League Hockey? But I only played it on the Sega Genesis.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:01 AM   #5
shleepy

Not Mutant League Hockey or Bloodbowl... it was probably the one that the first reply is talking about
Old 10-01-2005, 05:02 AM   #6
mikebarry
Game freak

I have lost a lot of my PC Gamer demo CDs over the years, and it looks like the Interstate 76 CD is one of them

And I've never been able to find a site on the Internet, even PC Gamer's site, that lists anything about their past demo CD's or their contents. Somewhat surprising, but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

As for Blood Bowl, that game is from like 1995, and Interstate 76 came out when I was 12...so 1997. I really have no idea what this game is, but I doubt Bloodbowl.
mikebarry is offline                         Send a private message to mikebarry
Old 10-01-2005, 05:19 AM   #7
shleepy

HyperBlade!!!!

(or so I think)

I did some searching on Yahoo and that's what I came up with My gut was right that it's really 2v2 + goalies. Downloading the demo now and will see how it is... yet, somehow, I don't think it's abandonware
Old 10-01-2005, 05:29 AM   #8
shleepy

OK, considering I THOUGHT I could download a demo but all the links I found were broken, perhaps it IS abandonware? It's an Activision game, but it's not even on their site...

EDIT: Hm... I think the game is pretty big, though. Perhaps another site is already hosting it, no?

EDIT2: Home of the Underdogs has it and I am downloading it now. Will write a review once I play it for a bit
Old 10-01-2005, 06:21 AM   #9
goblins
Game Wizzard

has HOTU done their jan upgrade yet >?
goblins is offline                         Send a private message to goblins
Old 10-01-2005, 06:32 AM   #10
mikebarry
Game freak

I'm not sure what you mean by January update.
There is news on the homepage that is dated from January.
But as far as I know they haven't added games since November.
mikebarry is offline                         Send a private message to mikebarry