Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I would if I could, like I already said.

But the lack of hard copy is still going to set me off. By law I'm not authorized to make a hard copy for myself if I purchase online and this simply mean that if I lose my copy I'm done for. That's not an option for me.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #12
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

When GOG first appeared I was against it, because it didn't feel fair to sell something that is free (at AB) and nicely working like Cannon Fodder for instance.
But then they started giving some stuff for free and when I checked their site I kind of understood what it was all about from the good point of view.
I still didn't buy anything there and probably won't in near future, but it was nice to replace my old pirated copy (that was bought when there were no way to buy legitimate games in my country) of Empire Earth with legitimate one (which is of course improved with expansion and bonus content).
Like EoF, I too like hard copies but there are numerous advantages of digital download, GOG tought me that if nothing else. But I still had to burn EE to CD and put it in old box, so that the replacement could be complete.
Abandonware titles aside, GOG is selling Seven Kingdoms AA, and that is a freeware title, so that is not very nice of them.

BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello
Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
I would if I could, like I already said.

But the lack of hard copy is still going to set me off. By law I'm not authorized to make a hard copy for myself if I purchase online and this simply mean that if I lose my copy I'm done for. That's not an option for me.
So is it some kind of impossibility for you to lose a hard copy?

In fact, If my house would burn down right now, I'd lose all my hard copies. The only games I'd have left would be those in my Steam and GOG accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BranjoHello View Post
Abandonware titles aside, GOG is selling Seven Kingdoms AA, and that is a freeware title, so that is not very nice of them.
You should blame the developer, rather than GOG. Its him that has made the game available there in the first place. I was bit mad too when they put up Red Baron which has been freeware for long time. Apparently it was back on sale again because the old developer bought back rights to it and decided to squeeze a few more bucks out of it.

Last edited by TheChosen; 11-08-2012 at 01:12 AM.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 11-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #14
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

I doubt your house burn as often as hard disks die.
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs
Old 11-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #15
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Exactly.

Plus, I've never had my house burn in my entire life. Even if it would happen, I would also lose my PC along with my hard drive... Meaning exactly the same thing for me as far as I am concerned.

Anyways, this thread is not about me not liking GoG. It is about people who post on GoG and bash down abandonware. Or at least that's what I understand from the first post.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

You can always re-download the game from GOG in case of a HDD failure.
Only if GOG gets shut down or removes the game, you can't get a backup copy from them.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
Japo
Autonomous human

Can they remove games, so you can download them any longer even though you bought them? Have they actually ever done this?

... Apparently they could, and more:

http://www.gog.com/en/support/policies/terms_of_use
Quote:
Termination
These Terms of Use are effective until terminated. You agree that GOG may terminate your log in access to the Service, including your user name and password, at any time for any reason without prior notice or liability. GOG may change, suspend, or discontinue all or any aspect of the Service at any time, including the availability of any feature, without prior notice or liability.
I'm going to download my GOG games to some external storage now, thanks for raising this. I've always felt reassured that GOG or Steam stores my games so I don't have to, I thought they committed themselves formally to some guarantee. But I guess in practice they kind of do...
Old 11-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #18
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

In practice, companies are always entitled to what they say... Until they don't.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #19
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

Short explanation of the GoG service then:

1. You start an account with them.
2. You buy a game.
3. The game is added to your virtual shelf, with all extras tied in to the title.
4. You download the installer for the game and save it on your harddrive.
5. You run the installer, and install the game.
6. You back up the installer on an external drive/DVD
7. Your harddrive crashes and the dog eats your DVD backup.
8. You log in, download the installer again, and this time you back it up on one more drive.
9. You play the game, and realize it works under 64-bit Windows 7 without any thirdparty emulationsoftware that you need to worry about, you just run the shiny icon on the startmenu.

I have some 40 titles or so on my GoG account. They are one of the best things that happend to the old-games scene in many years. The prices are realistic, and not 30$ for Monkey Island 1-style.
We made a policy MANY years ago, that IF we found a serious retailer of a game, first hand copies, we would remove OUR download, and point it to the sales site.
It has NEVER been Abandonias idea to profit on ANY game, since we do NOT hold the rights to them. We've had software developers and companies tell us that they do support what we're doings, since we aren't doing any intentional harm to sales of any games directly.

It has always been the policy of Abandonia to provide a free experience, when a payed, legal option is NOT present.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #20
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Can they remove games, so you can download them any longer even though you bought them? Have they actually ever done this?
They have done this when some of the IPs changed hands and the new owners were not interested in a new business contract with GOG.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman