Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #81
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agharion View Post
The secret is 'Stealth' and 'positive cash flow':
Final hints:
- don't waste your time on detection items, just move 3-4 gangs to where the stealthy enemy is and you'll see him and kill him quickly;
- you can typically chaos with 2 gangs in one sector as long as their chaos doesn't exceed the sector's tolerance level.
Great information, will certainly keep that in mind whenever I pick up Chaos Overlords again, thanks :thumbs:
I had no idea that having multiple gangs in 1 sector improves your chances of detecting enemies, that is very, very useful to know!
For chaosing gangs I would say it's best to keep a buffer between the total of your gangs' chaos and the sector's tolerance level: whenever the chaos exceeds the tolerance level, you're missing out on income and risk a police crackdown. Therefore it's more profitable to chaos a little less, but have income every turn.
Old 15-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #82
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

As there is no patch file included in the download, can anyone confirm that the executable is already patched?

Last edited by Borodin; 15-08-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 20-08-2009, 01:30 AM   #83
Agharion

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_guest View Post
Great information, will certainly keep that in mind whenever I pick up Chaos Overlords again, thanks :thumbs:
I had no idea that having multiple gangs in 1 sector improves your chances of detecting enemies, that is very, very useful to know!
For chaosing gangs I would say it's best to keep a buffer between the total of your gangs' chaos and the sector's tolerance level: whenever the chaos exceeds the tolerance level, you're missing out on income and risk a police crackdown. Therefore it's more profitable to chaos a little less, but have income every turn.
No prob

The chaosing part you're talking about is optimal and true for lower levels and when you have plenty of sectors. But in Homicidal Maniac you will have more gangs than sectors...most likely 2-3 per sector, especially when you're starting to go on the offensive, so every dollar you can squeeze counts, instead of having idle gangs. So I tend to push the tolerance levels, then take it easy (below tolerance) after 2 crackdowns for 2 turns. Remember you will lose your sector if you get 3 crackdowns in 4 or 5 turns (I forgot the exact number of turns).

Once you own a quarter of the map, your strategy comes into effect.

When you own half the map, you definitely want to have a healthy tolerance buffer, because I noticed I got crackdowns even when my Chaos level was half the tolerance. I'm not sure if it's part of the game to increase the chances of crackdowns when you have several sectors.

Old 20-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #84
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agharion View Post
No prob
When you own half the map, you definitely want to have a healthy tolerance buffer, because I noticed I got crackdowns even when my Chaos level was half the tolerance. I'm not sure if it's part of the game to increase the chances of crackdowns when you have several sectors.
Either that, or the chances of your gangs going over the tolerance level is higher because you have many more sectors and gangs. From what I remember, the actual chaos every turn is the chaos level of a gang plus or minus a random number. So the more sectors, the higher the chances of those random numbers reaching some extreme values.
Old 20-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #85
agharion

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_guest View Post
Either that, or the chances of your gangs going over the tolerance level is higher because you have many more sectors and gangs. From what I remember, the actual chaos every turn is the chaos level of a gang plus or minus a random number. So the more sectors, the higher the chances of those random numbers reaching some extreme values.
You're right! Now it makes sense...

Old 31-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #86
Tolrick
Lurker

Is there a patch I'm missing?

I've been gettng muckstomped on the 'kill all' setting.
Opponents are letting other people pass through their territory peacefully to come attack me.
It's like fighting one enemy with 5 times the resources as I have. I can hold out for a few hours, but eventually I run out of funds or they slip people past my 12 and 15 detection to get at my undefended areas they shouldn't be able to reach.
I just don't have the resources needed to have 4 or 5 powerful gangs in every space I own and still make progress.
Tolrick is offline                         Send a private message to Tolrick
Old 31-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #87
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Perhaps that's the meaning of "kill all": you have to kill all?
Old 31-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #88
Saccade
[BANNED]

In case the meaning of that's still unclear, don't forget that the manual is here:
Manual
Reference Card

I've also found this helpful - it also explains a bit about the multi-player modes:
Unofficial Guide

[ed]
I haven't found any problems with Mac/PC inter-operability so far (in multi-player).

Page Eight..? I only have 5 pages for this thread... Guess I have my forum preferences set up differently.

Last edited by Saccade; 04-09-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 04-09-2009, 07:27 AM   #89
agharion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolrick View Post
Is there a patch I'm missing?

I've been gettng muckstomped on the 'kill all' setting.
Opponents are letting other people pass through their territory peacefully to come attack me.
It's like fighting one enemy with 5 times the resources as I have. I can hold out for a few hours, but eventually I run out of funds or they slip people past my 12 and 15 detection to get at my undefended areas they shouldn't be able to reach.
I just don't have the resources needed to have 4 or 5 powerful gangs in every space I own and still make progress.
What's your difficulty level? On Homicidal Maniac they will gang up against you.

Also, your approach is wrong: you're trying a "muscle" defense when you really need stealth. Forget detection items, you need to focus on (cheap and cash-generating) stealth gangs. Put two or three on your borders, don't worry about powerful gangs until you have enough money to afford 3-4 per sector, and even then, make sure you pair up a stealthy 'heavy hitter' (team stick man, sniper) with a 'muscle' gang (ground zero, iron cadre)

See my strategy on page 8 of this thread...always works for me.

Old 18-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #90
Ragnoff
Default Cant get it working

I am running a 64 bit windows 7 home edition and I cannot get this to run. I have set compatibility to win95, done the fullscreen fix suggested above to set it as a window, I am not sure what else to do. As someone said it is a win95 games so I cannot run it in DOSbox to my knowledge.

Has anyone gotten this to run in a 64 bit environment, hopefully window 7?