Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #71
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by methosecynk View Post
binary is what i ment... but the question is.. is there anyone out there who knows if theres a program to convert the files...

thanks again!
I doubt there's one, but with a bit of persistance and a hex editor it might be possible without one (at least in theory).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #72
methosecynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
I doubt there's one, but with a bit of persistance and a hex editor it might be possible without one (at least in theory).
i thought about that too, but how do i figure out what does what? just trial and error?

Old 17-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #73
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by methosecynk View Post
i thought about that too, but how do i figure out what does what? just trial and error?
That, and Sherlock Holmes' greatest weapon: deduction.
The data is usually arranged in some kind of logical fashion - the trick is in figuring it out.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #74
Saccade
[BANNED]

I play Chaos Overlords all the time - its one of my faves.
If you want to add it to the crack list (I'm trying WITICS and Avish atm) the thread's somewhere - so I don't forget.

Either that or learn to use Debug from windows => Run (which can be a bizatch to use!!!) and get a Binary /Hex Editor - Beav is a good one.
This should help you:
http://www.textfiles.com/piracy/CRACKING/htc.txt

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3191076/Must-Have-Hacking-Tools-for-Both-the-Novice-and-Professional-Security-Tester

I've never cracked a Windows game before... I'm sure that if you search textfiles/piracy/cracking, you'll find help.
Remember to patch the game before you try to crack/hack it and also BACK IT UP!!! EVERY TIME!

I have never won a game of Chaos Overlords, even on easy - I had ONE person left to eliminate! I always come last in the timed games, but now I have the manual I'm doing better.

ps - the files aren't encrypted, but there are some missing from the game.
I'm not even going to touch cracking this one because I want to beat it for real!

Last edited by Saccade; 17-06-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: wrong link - sorry.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 18-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #75
Another__guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccade View Post
I have never won a game of Chaos Overlords, even on easy - I had ONE person left to eliminate! I always come last in the timed games, but now I have the manual I'm doing better.
I wouldn't mind to discuss some tactics; on easy I usually do quite ok but on any higher difficulty I'm usually wiped out by one of the AI's. They play surprisingly good in fact.

Old 18-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #76
Saccade
[BANNED]

For me, I have to Alt+Tab to go back to desktop, minimising Chaos Overlords, then (depending on what else is going on) close down all processes that aren't needed - don't do this if you're not sure.

Did you follow the instructions right and BACK UP your registry by going to "Windows => Start => Run => regedit. Then File and Save.
Also - make a restore point.
You do this by pressing F1 or going to help from Start button.
Then you need to paste in the Chaos Overlord's Registry entries by double-clicking the file.

It is there at the bottom of the review.
Though - if it's not because of that, it may be that it's because the version here is missing files for sound and it seems to screw with graphics - especially if you don't save into the Chaos Overlord's own folder.
If you don't then it goes funny, like you describe, to me sometimes. I just Alt+Tab out and back in.

The game actually works better on a Mac using a Windows Emulator!
I agree that it'd be good to have the CD version, but the crack may be difficult (if there's on-disc copy-protection like Starfire)

What graphics card do you have?
Do you have the latest drivers?

For my PC Laptop, ATI drivers aren't very good - they don't let me play games. But there is an alternative that covers loads of different cards called Omega - http://www.omegadrivers.net .
They do ATI and Nvidea. Even ones not supported by the aforementioned companies anymore.

I think there was also a fix I had to do but I can't remember and have about 2 year's browsing history to search through - I'll PM you if I do remember it or find it again.

You may be able to right-click on Chaos Overlord's running icon and, if compatibility mode or anything is selected - turn it off. Especially uncheck "Run in Window" and check "Run in Window".
There is one last thing you can try - as I've just tested it out.

The game leaves some of its registry details behind - you need to delete them with regedit.
Remember to back-up and make restore points whenever you try to mess with Windows.
One reason I like Mac's about the same as PCs - they just do not go wrong. But you can't do a lot of stuff on them that you can on PCs without an emulator.
But you CAN get an excellent Mac emulator for PC called http://wwww.hackintosh.org (Hackintosh) - perhaps running it on a PC that's emulating MacOS, emulating Windows will fix it.

I'd try the graphics card, game's properties (from right-click on icon menu) and uninstalling everything and manually cleaning registry and folders, etc... first.
I wasn't really serious about the Hackintosh thing, but it may be a fix.

Good luck mate! I host games, but I've only ever managed to play online twice. And that was me and the mrs on our laptops - on the same network - because we couldn't be bothered to get the USB mouse to plug in so each of us had a pointer instead of having to pass the Laptop around each time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBeard View Post
Hello I'm new and love this game, but in my stupidity put it on small window mode. I tried changing it back to full screen mode but every time i start the game it starts back in small window mode. is there any way this fault can be fixed as i love this game to bits, but i've tried uninstalling and its still keep recurring with this bug. Not letting me go back to full screen mode. This wouldn't normally be a problem but in small window mode when you click on part of the map all the graphics are white screened.

Please help a frustrated person who loves this game!
Old 18-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #77
Saccade
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another__guest View Post
I wouldn't mind to discuss some tactics; on easy I usually do quite ok but on any higher difficulty I'm usually wiped out by one of the AI's. They play surprisingly good in fact.
Cool man!

Join up to the forums and we can start getting serious! Time to start beating these guys with Katana's and Tech's and don't forget..!

The manual really helps - it lets you know which weapon is best against a unit, blade or gun or Martial Art.
Have you ever noticed how sometimes, you do no damage even if your attack is nearly max? It's 'cos of unit resitances.

Maybe - if you got onto the forum as a regular (signed up) we could write a strategy guide for it to put up here.
This game is fecking awesome and even better Multi-player. Second only to Sniper Elite and Guitar Hero, etc...
I like turn-based strategy games - it means that we can chat and relax and smoke a doobie or try to distract the mrs by going down on her or something.

We play VGA planets, Scorched Earth, et al...

Yet, even though I was playing these games before she was even alive, she still beats me...

Literally, too. I am a beaten husband; oh wherefore doth she folly and perform cruel and humiliating acts of corporeal woe upon my person?!
Old 20-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #78
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Heh, I joined years ago, it's just that sometimes the forum gives me grief when I try to log in

True, I have to admit that battles don't always turn out how I expect.

I find that at least on easier difficulties it's best to expand rapidly in the beginning, then influence cash-gushing buildings; typically this puts you ahead of the AI in terms of income.

Your hiring plan also matters much:
1) Early on I go for troops that can take control of sectors
2) Next some troops that are strong without weapons, yet not too expensive in upkeep. Preferably ones that can influence buildings
3) A few high tech researchers to get your hands on the obvious weapons of tech level 4-6.
4) Time to strengthen your borders with more advanced troops (good detection, may need some weapons to become strong)
5) Each turn, either hire or get rid of the least desirable candidate. Not doing either is useless. In the early phase it's often even good to go for weak, low upkeep troops that can increase your income through chaos; these cheap troops actually have their use.

Most of the times when the AI wins, it's because I either waited too long to research weapons (and they show up with the rugby player with some crude armor and a lead pipe or similar basic weapons) or to switch from cash-cow mode to building up defenses.
The only exception is if you're being attacked by too many AIs at the same time.
Another weakness is that I don't pay enough attention to detection; often I'll be surprised at one of my borders by stealthy attackers I can't see. On the other hand, two can play that game and I usually only use weapons that don't damage my stealth ratings.

What are your key factors to success or your main reasons for defeat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccade View Post
Cool man!

Join up to the forums and we can start getting serious! Time to start beating these guys with Katana's and Tech's and don't forget..!

The manual really helps - it lets you know which weapon is best against a unit, blade or gun or Martial Art.
Have you ever noticed how sometimes, you do no damage even if your attack is nearly max? It's 'cos of unit resitances.

Maybe - if you got onto the forum as a regular (signed up) we could write a strategy guide for it to put up here.
Old 20-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #79
Saccade
[BANNED]

I'll come back to this one, matey - There are quite a few reasons why I always fail!
I'll let you know when I've finished. A short guide would definitely help people and make the game more popular - I really want to get a complete version that we can put on site.

I'll see if I can find one to buy or something

Nice one!
A strategy column for games on Abandonia for the AT would be a good regular feature, I reckon.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #80
Agharion
Default Strategy on how to win in Homicidal Maniac

The secret is 'Stealth' and 'positive cash flow':

- Start by hiring the cheapest stealthy gangs and one high tech level (9 or 10) gang, and try to control 5-6 blocks that increase your stealth (back alley network, etc.) and one with a science center.

- Your initial goal is to chaos as long as possible with the cheap gangs until you research inviso cloak, camo suit, smoke bombs, and can hire a forger, Hacker, or Banker. At Homicidal Maniac level all the AIs will team up against you, but it will take a few turns before they will invade your blocks with more than 3 gangs at a time. That's why your cheapees with a 9 or 10 comulative stealth have a very good chance of going undetected and chaos away for a while.

- Once you've got a hard to detect positive flow gang, move it to remote corners of the map, deep inside enemy territory (make sure its a low traffic block, meaning that the AI owns 2 or 3 blocks surrounding it). This is your insurance, because even if they kill off the rest of your gangs and take all your blocks, you'll stay in the game and continue to slowly make money (I've come back and won the game with one single forger and no blocks). Keep hiring these 'farm' gangs whenever you have a chance, and NEVER use them to fight or control until you own half the city.

- Your next goal is to research monom rod, body stabilizer, battle armor, and Plasma Gen in that order. At this point the AIs are probably starting to detect/kill your gangs and taking blocks. Don't worry about it and just focus on researching these items. Try to create a buffer between your science ctr block and and the AIs, and hold them off by hiring cheap gangs to stall them.

- Now that you have your essential items researched, you can try to secure a corner of the map (less borders to defend). You need to strategically pick the corner with one science ctr block, and blocks that have stealth, healing, and money in that order of importance. To do so you need to hire high stealth gangs that can attack: Team StickMan with inviso cloak, emp enhancer and monom rod is nearly undetectable, packs good damage, heals nicely, and has good control/influence. I usually don't start the offesive until I have 2 or three of these fully equipped. You will also need a couple of heavy hitter/damage absorbing units (Angel of Arcadia, Ground Zero, Trantian Fusers) fully equipped and with body stabilizers.

- The moment you start controlling blocks again, the AIs will hit you hard with 3-4 gangs each. Your goal is to attack their heavy hitters with your stealthy guys (StickMan), while your ground zeros kill off the weak gangs, take damage and heal. The reason you want to kill the weak gangs is you want to avoid to many gangs in the sector so that your stickmen stay undetected.

- Once you survive the initial waves, expand using a stealth unit paired up with a heavy hitter. Remember to keep your borders guarded with 2 mid level stealthy gangs (Shadow Ninja, Ebon Order, Night Crawler, etc.), while your inner blocks are being farmed by the cheap gangs (also equipped with stealth items, in case your borders get breached)

Final hints:
- don't waste your time on detection items, just move 3-4 gangs to where the stealthy enemy is and you'll see him and kill him quickly;
- every gang is useful, you just need to know where to place it;
- you can typically chaos with 2 gangs in one sector as long as their chaos doesn't exceed the sector's tolerance level.
- always use body stabilizer or pain negator for your non stealth units
- Martial artists are good only for mid-game guarding, when you have enough income to support them, and sectors with Alleys/temples.

Challenge (no time limit, no reloading because you don't like the starting gangs, and no save/re-loading):
- beat 'Armaggeddon' in homicidal maniac (Chaos Lord)
- beat 'kill 'em all' in homicidal maniac (Chaos Overlord)
- beat 'kill' em all' in homicidal maniac AFTER giving up all your gangs and sectors except one fully equipped forger (Chaos God)