Old 05-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #241
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

This should be the easiest version.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #242
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

Default Some advice for importing a game from wizardry 6

The game usually lets you keep one special weapon or armor piece per character, by having only one item equipped you can enforce keeping it (unless it's one that never transfers).

After importing your character stats are reduced a little randomly, the level is reduced to 5.
Miss chance is raised by 3 (max 100) for every level higher than 5 your character was independent of class. So samurais or ninjas who got it reduced by 3-6 per level up (and other fighting classes who got it reduced by 2-5) in W6 often start with better miss chance than possible for level 5 and casters like bishops who only got it reduced by 1-3 have a worse miss chance.
Miss chance is also subtracted for high levels although characters don't get miss chance reduction after level 21, so if you level a character higher in W6 he'll have worse miss chance at the start of W7.
You can improve your W7 starting miss chance a lot if you switch classes at the end of W6 and level up to level 5 before exporting. But keep in mind that switched level 5 characters have far worse attributes than created level 20 ones.

When thinking about how to export best into W7 the regeneration rate is most important, it's set at the start of W7 and never changed afterwards. You can see the regeneration rates in my previous post.
If you start W7 as mage with 17 piety and vitality you'll regenerate much faster than if you start as fighter with only 13 piety and vitality even if you switch both to samurai for for example.
Attributes are reduced on transfer, but higher is better nevertheless. Higher W6 stats grant a better chance for higher W7 starting stats and therefore higher spell regeneration.

Weapons definitely worth importing are the samurai sword and the valkyrie lance.
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 22-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #243
Magnakai

ok thx kmonster following your instructions i have found your post.

so basically your class mana regen base will change unless u sticked to or switched back to the class you started wiz6 with. then modified by wiz7 calculation at the start of dark savant.

eg. let's say i started wiz 6 as a priest to get class base of 2/2/3/3/2/3, but my intention was to end up as a lord. at the end of wiz 6, if i do not spin back to priest i would start wiz 7 as a lord. and be subject to the lord's base.

as you explained, have to switch after wiz 6 for the miss% thing anyway, so i guess this is not a problem. but what is the starting cap for attributes in wiz7, any chance to retain a 20? i might save ankhs obtained in wiz 6 for wiz 7 if they r exportable.

and what about hit points/stamina/mana pools for the 6 realms, i suppose there is a fixed cap on these? did u comment on these in an earlier post in this thread?
Magnakai is offline                         Send a private message to Magnakai
Old 23-10-2011, 12:57 AM   #244
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

The mana regeneration rate works like you wrote. Except pie+pie+vit for the regeneration rate the stats at the start of W7 are unimportant since you can max all stats during the game easily.
Old 27-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #245

There is an excellent utility for this game:
Mad gods Cosmic forge. If you have mana/life regen problems, check it out.
http://mad-god.webs.com/cosmicforge.htm

Old 24-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #246
Falkentyne
Lurker

Hi,
Does anyone remember the old Wizardry 6 to 7 exporting trick, where you could somehow get access to all of your items that were validly transferable, before the game "Deletes" most of them from your inventory after the initial cutscenes? I remember Scorpia in an old CGW "hits" article (around 1991?) said something about being able to stop the game during or before a cutscene, getting access to the "unnerfed" inventory, and then dropping everything on the ground, and then picking the items up after the cutscenes finished. But this was 20 years ago and I don't remember the details, or if it required mouse input or even what keys to press....

Anyone remember?
Falkentyne is offline                         Send a private message to Falkentyne
Old 28-11-2011, 03:07 AM   #247
mcrfrg

Hi,

Thanks for some good information in this thread.

Some thoughts about choosing your team:

I see on the internet people recommend bard, but I just tried it and I think it's a mistake to have a bard on the team; you can be without endless supply of sleep spells. The bard does not get good HP or AC and is a poor academic. Better would be a pure mage.
My other issue is the alchemist that people recommend. Sure it has some great spells, but in Wiz7 it should be more of an addition to the team than a substitute for a priest or mage. I tried a combination of (lord, monk, bard, samurai, alchemist, mage) and had often shortage of healing spell.

A very good combination I found was (Lord, monk, thief->ninja, mage, priest) . The 6th character could be anything. I chose samurai and would like to try a caster like the alchemist if I play again, not only for spells, but also for other academic skills.

Old 30-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #248
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrfrg View Post
I see on the internet people recommend bard, but I just tried it and I think it's a mistake to have a bard on the team; you can be without endless supply of sleep spells. The bard does not get good HP or AC and is a poor academic. Better would be a pure mage.
The later instruments help, though. I typically don't run a bard, but in final game of the series you could acquire one as an add-on to your party who was hilarious: a reptilian with the incredibly sugary voice of a Shirley Temple clone, married to a twisted blood lust. Heh.

Quote:
My other issue is the alchemist that people recommend. Sure it has some great spells, but in Wiz7 it should be more of an addition to the team than a substitute for a priest or mage. I tried a combination of (lord, monk, bard, samurai, alchemist, mage) and had often shortage of healing spell.
Agreed. Alchemists are great, because they can't be silenced: as long as they're conscious, they can use their magical abilities. But they're not a substitute for the basics.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 01-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #249
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrfrg View Post
A very good combination I found was (Lord, monk, thief->ninja, mage, priest) . The 6th character could be anything. I chose samurai and would like to try a caster like the alchemist if I play again, not only for spells, but also for other academic skills.
I'd rather have a pure bard than a pure mage in the party. Mages get faster mana regeneration and don't have to waste points for dex and cha but the difference in spell picks is only 3 levels and bards will get able to cast all mage spells including nuclear blast at the highest level during the game.
The lute helps so much during early parts of the game that you'd never catch up later. It still useful in later parts of the game and there are other bardic instruments. Bards are also decent attackers for the second row, they can have 2 attacks with 1-3 swings with the main hand weapon (fighters 2*1-4, mages only 1*1-2).
Bards get only one extra hitpoint per level up compared to mages but this does make a difference since mages get only 2-4 HP (+ 2 vit bonus max) at level up, if the character with the lowest HP in the party has over 20 percent more HP enemy mass damage spells are easier to survive.

For your priest/alchemist comparison take into account that your second party also had an additional healer, the ninja gets healing spells and reduces the need of healing since he hardly ever gets hit with the class specific low AC.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #250
mrcfrg
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodin View Post
The later instruments help, though. I typically don't run a bard, but in final game of the series you could acquire one as an add-on to your party who was hilarious: a reptilian with the incredibly sugary voice of a Shirley Temple clone, married to a twisted blood lust. Heh.
Hehe...
The later instruments are quite good, but IMO you get them too late in the game to be powerful. They become redundant instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmonster View Post
I'd rather have a pure bard than a pure mage in the party. Mages get faster mana regeneration and don't have to waste points for dex and cha but the difference in spell picks is only 3 levels and bards will get able to cast all mage spells including nuclear blast at the highest level during the game.
The lute helps so much during early parts of the game that you'd never catch up later. It still useful in later parts of the game and there are other bardic instruments. Bards are also decent attackers for the second row, they can have 2 attacks with 1-3 swings with the main hand weapon (fighters 2*1-4, mages only 1*1-2).
Bards get only one extra hitpoint per level up compared to mages but this does make a difference since mages get only 2-4 HP (+ 2 vit bonus max) at level up, if the character with the lowest HP in the party has over 20 percent more HP enemy mass damage spells are easier to survive.

For your priest/alchemist comparison take into account that your second party also had an additional healer, the ninja gets healing spells and reduces the need of healing since he hardly ever gets hit with the class specific low AC.
I actually tried 3 different teams up to level 5-12 with a bard, but when I switched over from bard to ninja and alchemist to priest, I had much better results. For me that's proof that the sleep spell does not make up for a large portion of the game. I also now play with the team that I wrote I wanted to try (with the alchemist). With 3 casters, I've never had it so easy up to Ukpyr and Nyctalinth, on expert difficulty I might add (Murkatos ghost was a pain though).

Anyway, comparing hps of the bard and mage is a fair point, but swings is a minor issue, because the bard is more of a caster and will be busy casting spells or hiding in shadows. As a mage, the bard will also not reach it's full potential for a long while. Not only is it 3 levels behind, but receives probably half the academic points that a mage receives. Even if it's "only 3 levels" it still makes a lot of difference in the beginning of the game.

The ninja as you pointed out as another healer, will unfortunately not contribute much as a healer until very late in the game. In my current game for example, my level 10 ninja has 9 divine points (he had 6 points at level 7). Looking back at my priest at level 3, she had 20 divine points, and 60 divine points at level 6. It was 100+ at level 10. Like the bard, because the ninja is a hybrid, the academic skill points per level up seems to be halved or in this case maybe even cut in 3.

Last edited by mrcfrg; 01-12-2011 at 11:27 PM.
mrcfrg is offline                         Send a private message to mrcfrg