Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #91
Engelados

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japofran View Post
The most you will lose is one turn, and, if you save at the end of the turn instead of the start, you won't lose anything.

Personally I don't like games limiting saves... If I want a challenge I can limit myself, otherwise they're taking options from me.
It's been a few months that I'm not playing this anymore, but if memory serves me well what happens is exactly what I described in my original message, that is, you never lose any moves - but instead, all events (eg assasinations of cardinals etc) inbetween two game years are repeated with accummulative effect. I.e., if you save immediately after the turn of year & reload, then events are repeated & you'll have all your moves - if you save in the middle then the moves you made before saving are still made & events are repeated & you still get to make the rest of the moves - if you save at the end, then events are repeated & you have no more moves & you can only end turn . The problem is, if something bad happened to you inbetween the years, then this bad thing after loading happens twice! If nothing bad happened inbetween, then no problem !

So what I said is - if it's a bug, then OK, after all I downloaded this game for free - if it's OS incompatibility, then of course it's perfectly understandable - but if it's deliberate, then it sucks!

I've never actually seen a computer game that limits saves? :confused:
Engelados is offline                         Send a private message to Engelados
Old 04-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #92
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engelados View Post
I've never actually seen a computer game that limits saves? :confused:
I've seen dozens, and many people here could tell you alike.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #93
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japofran View Post
and many people here could tell you alike.
I would have done prior to you, but I wasn't in the mood for trivial negations (no animadversion on you!). Now I'm writing this inconsequent post...
Old 07-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #94
gratefulmwp

Smile build warehouses as transition points for land<->sea<->land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privateer View Post

Back on topic of Q and A, does anyone know good ways to make profit on those long haul routes, say between China and Europe or India and Europe. Profit margins are huge, I agree, but the distance is so absurdly long that I just don't see it ever paying off unless you lay roads and then do the excommunicate trick.

Any ideas for good possible (because I know a lot of the goods are random) routes on the real world map?
having not continued in the thread, apologies for jumping in, but i have found that creating a warehouse as a mid ship point, a terminal, is a good way to expand the ability of long routes. on the historical map it may not offer as good a result but thinking geographically the use of warehouses as midway points would still work near the Sinai in Egypt and panama imho. this makes land to sea possible.

this game is unbelievable as a hotseat game where the real Machiavellian aspect lights up -- speaking of lighting up watch those warehouses burn baby burn in the den of inequity; so watch out playing with humans i cannot recollect the computer being as wise... but nothing beats burning a warehouse when the other player is off in the bathroom or on a beer break...

also for me this game is over when the plague hits cause i am able to outsell the computer most every time... selling without care if your unit gets killed profits more in the plague than at any other time combined... the plague comes quickest to cities nearest the most battles. so too often i have not played the long trade route because the plague will profit you the most dinars and far more than the hassle of setting up those long cross continental routes themselves imho.
gratefulmwp is offline                         Send a private message to gratefulmwp
Old 07-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #95
gratefulmwp

ok i think i just realized i am reading a four year old post... next time i will look for anything within a couple months... ooops
gratefulmwp is offline                         Send a private message to gratefulmwp
Old 08-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #96
Engelados

Okey folks, it appears I haven't been playing enough then . Off to correct the situation .
Engelados is offline                         Send a private message to Engelados
Old 04-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #97
Informative
Smile Civilization

I liked the first couple of civilizations then it got overly complicated. This seems to run fine as they said in a root C:\folder with vdmsound on XP just set it to WIN95 compatibility. Thats also what I had to do with Magic the Gathering card game series put in C:\magic and set that one to Windows 2000 compatibility and works beautifully also. Don't see that game up here. Pretty sure that is abandoned also and still a regular favorite at my home.

I also agree that this should be a 4.0 and not 5.0 IMHO. Way too free with the 5.0's then you can;t give 6.0 to the amazing supersweet classics like Ascendancy. Such an awesome old game, great sound, great strategy, fun space empire building - good upgrade to the old Master of Orion 2 classic, except the AI patch makes it nearly unbeatable!

Maybe make the system have a 4.5 for all those easily tossed out 5.0's and go back and reserve the 5.0's for the ones where people have really missed out on an excellent superior game if they did not play it.

Old 24-05-2009, 03:09 AM   #98
areyounuts

The Abandonia entry for this game is incorrect. Or, if you want to look at it the other way, the download link is incorrect.

Abandonia is calling this game "Merchant Prince" while the game it points to is "Machiavelli The Prince".

Yes, I realize this game had two editions, and each one had a different name. However, they're not precisely the same, and the title of this listing does not match the edition of the game being offered. It would be like listing it as "Game v2" when you're only offering Game v1. This zipfile is strictly not Merchant Prince.
areyounuts is offline                         Send a private message to areyounuts
Old 28-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #99
Oskatat
Game freak

actually, this is the game that i got in th 90s that was called "machiavelli, the merchant prince" and installed as merchant prince. since i can think of several more games being called machiavelli, choosing to call it merchant prince (with the original mprince to start the game in mind) might be inaccurate, but it is practical. And i much prefer a site, and not only sites at that point, who have a practical point of view

edit: agh, i'm a newcomer? i've been downloading here for ages. plus, i posted here as guest a lot, untill that got impossible. Oh well, shame on me for not registering before
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 14-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #100
fleabag
Abandonia nerd

Does anyone know where I can get a manual for this game? I am asking because I want to know what I can do with my mercenaries other then just move them from place to place, and how do I do it.

Last edited by fleabag; 01-03-2010 at 04:02 PM.
fleabag is offline                         Send a private message to fleabag