Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

Ever knew that 10 GB - 7 GB = 100 MB ? Now you know! Here are two screenshots. Now could anyone tell me what to do? Kaspersky does not find any viruses, Ad-Aware can't find adware, and Crap Cleaner can't find... crap. What can I do? Thanks!

Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 26-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
Japo
Autonomous human

I don't really know about this, but disk space is not as ouright simple as you might think. Try defragmenting the drive, judging from your problem I bet it will free some space, but don't know how much.
Old 26-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
carpetsmoker
Forum hobbit

You should also run a diskcheck
carpetsmoker is offline                         Send a private message to carpetsmoker
Old 26-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

chkdsk? I ran it, but it told me at step 2 out of 3 that an unknown error has occurred and stopped scanning.

Edit: I did a defragment and was shocked to see a file located in Windows/Temp of 1.32 GB. I thought that Crap Cleaner removed it, so I didn't bother to look in temp.
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 26-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Abi79 @ Feb 26 2007, 05:20 AM) [snapback]280997[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Ever knew that 10 GB - 7 GB = 100 MB ? Now you know! Here are two screenshots. Now could anyone tell me what to do? Kaspersky does not find any viruses, Ad-Aware can't find adware, and Crap Cleaner can't find... crap. What can I do? Thanks!

[/b]

Sounds like your allocation tables or MFT might be messed up. Is your partition formatted as NTFS or FATxx? When you ran the defrag it should have checked you disk for errors before it started. Did that tell you about any disk errors? Bad sectors?

Try this. Go to control panel and click on administrative tools. Then select computer management. Then click on disk management and check to make sure that all your partitions are healthy. What size does it report the partition to be?
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 26-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Edit: I did a defragment and was shocked to see a file located in Windows/Temp of 1.32 GB. I thought that Crap Cleaner removed it, so I didn't bother to look in temp.[/b]
That's why I manually wipe out my Tempdir regularly.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i see you was checking size of selected files. maybe you didnt selet some "system hidden" and you have them hidden?
if it doesnt help try different browser than explorer to check drivesize in (or like geezer said, disk managment)
Old 27-02-2007, 02:45 AM   #8
win98
In the loop on hardware.

Funny that I had the same problem. on my older pc. In the end I formatted as with that pc I don't bother looking to deeply into unknown problems.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 27-02-2007, 08:55 AM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
maybe you didnt selet some "system hidden" and you have them hidden?[/b]
It is possible, particularly withg large pagefile/hiberfile sizes. Mine take over 2 GB by themselves.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-03-2007, 01:10 AM   #10
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Feb 27 2007, 10:55 AM) [snapback]281160[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Quote:
maybe you didnt selet some "system hidden" and you have them hidden?[/b]
It is possible, particularly withg large pagefile/hiberfile sizes. Mine take over 2 GB by themselves.
[/b]
Yepps, it's true. Unless you've checked the option to show all hidden system-files always in explorer, it should not list when you request the drive-information.

If you go to the command-prompt and place yourself in C:\> and write "Dir /ah/s" it should list the hidden files only.

EDIT: Just did that on my primary drive with WinXP Home SP2, and it got to a total of 1.436.610.723 bytes (1.370 Mbyte) in just HIDDEN files..

There ya go my friend!