Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
DarkPonzu
Lurker

Default Lonely Gamer - Requesting Friends

Hello, I'm a long time PC gaming enthusiast. My favorite genres are strategies and rpgs. I am currently looking for fellow gamers to add to Skype, Steam or some other chat program. I hope to make new friends with which to play games, and enjoy my upcoming Christmas vacation. (College student in my late 20's, I should have gotten a real job by now but that's another story.)

I used to have online friends, but we lost touch over time and playing single player games is starting to get old. Regrettably, I don't have any IRL friends possibly due to social anxiety and a very introverted personality. For a long while, the internet has been my only social outlet.

My chronic boredom and almost total social isolation has been quite a strain on my patience/sanity. I'm trying to break out of this waking nightmare and that's why I need your help.

I'm a good team player, I can hold my own in FPS's, and I've got a lot of MMO and clan experience. The only problem is I'm on a budget, so subscription based games are kind of out for me. And I have a so-so computer for running games, so nothing too high system req wise. I can handle Skyrim, but just barely, to give you an idea of what I can run.

I know this is a weird way to introduce myself, but I thought I'd take a chance and see what happens. If you need a player, team member, etc., I'm up for anything, just let me know what you play and I'll see if we can work something out, thanks.

One more thing, it helps if you're in the EST zone, or somewhere near it.
DarkPonzu is offline                         Send a private message to DarkPonzu
Old 14-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Just a thought... You really should try to find and join a D&D table game.

3.5 is still the best version yet.
Old 14-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #3
DarkPonzu
Lurker

I tried, but it didn't work out too well. I don't live in an area with a lot of gaming hobbyists unfortunately. The one shop in my town went out of business
DarkPonzu is offline                         Send a private message to DarkPonzu
Old 14-12-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You don't really need a "shop" around though. Just a group or two who have at least the core books and you're set to go as far as I am concerned.
Old 14-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPonzu View Post
My favorite genres are strategies
Please expand
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 14-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
DarkPonzu
Lurker

I used to play a lot of RTS, such as the Command & Conquer and Total War series. But I started to gradually move away from those to turn based games like the Civilization series. I can still play RTS if I want to, but I'm not saying I'm good
Old 14-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Damn... Are you my long lost unknown brother? Have we been separated at birth?

Do you also hate adventure games or is the rest only coincidence?

I could suggest you some games if you like. I have the feeling there is a high chance you have exactly the same interests than me.
Old 14-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
DarkPonzu
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Damn... Are you my long lost unknown brother? Have we been separated at birth?

Do you also hate adventure games or is the rest only coincidence?

I could suggest you some games if you like. I have the feeling there is a high chance you have exactly the same interests than me.
That sounds good. I don't really do adventure games because I find them too linear (I like a lot of replay value) and I'm kind of terrible at puzzle solving. My favorite strategies are:
  • Total War: Rome
  • Total War: Medieval II
  • Total War: Empire
  • Total War: Shogun II
  • Galactic Civilizations II
  • Dominions III
  • Entire Civilization Series
  • Master of Orion I & II
  • Master of Magic
  • Sins of a Solar Empire
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • X-Com: UFO Defense
  • Dune 2

Games I'm following that aren't out yet:

StarDrive
Predestination
M.O.R.E.
Kenshi
Xenonauts
Banner Saga

As of now I'm currently playing Minecraft, Torchlight 2, random abandonware games and practicing chess.
Old 14-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

That's already quite a nice list that you have.

If you like replay value that much then I could strongly suggest you Adom and (if you don't mind multiplayer games) STARS!.

Other nice strategy games, unfortunately falling in the RTS section but having way more strategy than "normal" RTSes, is Warzone 2100 (freeware) and Original War. I am particularly fond of Original war and those are RTS you can pause at any time so it's not really that bad. In both games you can build your own set of units as you wish, picking from existing parts. This affect power, speed but also cost so you can have a whole strategy based on it.

Another really great game would be Startopia.

MechCommander is another great favorite of mine. Rival with every other games as my favorite game too.

The Homeworld serie is also very nice but I've only managed to play Homeworld:Cataclysm. I can recommend this one but I don't know about the previous two.

... and there is probably many more games to recommend but I guess it's a good start.
Old 14-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
DarkPonzu
Lurker

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out