Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-11-2005, 10:36 PM   #1
dmacdonald95
Forum hobbit

Okay, I have a problem. I am currently creating a Medical Sim similar to Life And Death 2: The Brain. (It's a game hosted on this site, btw).

Now, because graphic talent and me go together like Ketchup and Cereal, I can't do the graphics myself. Unfortunetely I also can't find any graphic artists to help me..so I've decided to (at least for the developing copies) use the graphics from Life and Death 2.

The thing is, if I was to release this game (As freeware or otherwise -- I want to release it as freeware but I'm just covering my ground..nobody would buy a game that they can download a copy with the same graphics anyway ) could I use the graphics in the released game?

Since L&D is abandonware and the company that released it has folded...would I be allowed to use these graphics without fear of copyright infringment?
dmacdonald95 is offline                         Send a private message to dmacdonald95
Old 29-11-2005, 10:50 PM   #2
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

IF the company is folded without any legal trace, and IF the game is really abandoned, you should have no problem with that. At least I think, but prove me wrong...

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 29-11-2005, 11:08 PM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

If you release it as freeware and receive no money from it, you should be safe. If you do receive money from it, I would be cautious if I was you.

A way to counter this could be to make a "mod" in which you can play your game if you already have Life and Death 2. You simply make a fan "add on" instead, and there should be no problem with copyright this way.
Old 30-11-2005, 12:00 AM   #4
dmacdonald95
Forum hobbit

Okay, thanks =] I'll continue making my game then. I'll post info about it here when I get a demo (3 possible diagnosises and 1 surgery will be in the WIP demo when I post it but alot more will be in the final) when I release one.
dmacdonald95 is offline                         Send a private message to dmacdonald95
Old 30-11-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

It's a bit hazy, but try to ask in the art forum here, and on Reloaded.org. There's quite some talent 'round. Just got to ask to find some help k:
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki