Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-12-2004, 06:55 AM   #11
Tuttle
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tuttle

There were only three books in that sub-series. Krondor: The Betrayal, Krondor: The Assassins and Krondor: Tear of the Gods. Betrayal at Krondor matches up with Krondor: The Betrayal, and Return to Krondor matches up with Krondor: Tear of the Gods.

There's a lot more than 4 books dealing with Riftwar as a whole though.
Tuttle is offline                         Send a private message to Tuttle
Old 23-12-2004, 02:18 PM   #12
Guest_Castaway

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@Oct 27 2004, 08:13 PM
Do I simply just CD to the correct directory and run Krondor.exe in my DOSBox window?* If I do, I just get a blank, black screen with 2 small little colored dashes on the right side of my screen (light blue and light gray if that means anything).

Any special tricks or installation peculiarities I need to be aware of?
I had exactly the same problem.

There's a file called DRIVE.CFG in the game directory, which contain two drive letters. Try to change them both to point to the drive you have the game installed on. For example, if you have the game installed on drive D, change them both to D. By default they are C and E.

Old 30-12-2004, 06:21 AM   #13
chris

wow.... this game... i rememebr i was in junior high school when this game first released... and now i am a marketing executive for a IT company... such a memory haha..... i played this game all the time after teh school.. and due to the language problem.. i always died without knwoing why... but i know.... because... my characters were STARVED TO DEATH. i forgot to buy the food suppy hahahaha.. LOL

Old 30-12-2004, 10:21 AM   #14
FreeFreddy

Well, actually you can gather enough of the food packages off the bodies of the enemies. You meet more then enough of them along the ways in the game...

Old 30-12-2004, 06:57 PM   #15
MODD

Ooh... this might just be the game I spent the most time on in my life... played it through at least three times. And the second time I played it through I tried (and managed to) solve every solvable quest (including the grain quest and the chess quest), and discover every chest and unlock it. Some were extremely hard.... I think I had the answers written down somewhere, but doubt that paper still exists.

Anyway, that time Owyn became a stronger fighter with his staff than Locky and James with their Swords of Lims Kragma. Gorath was a class on his own, able to kill almost every opponent with one blow (the exception being Makala and those wind-things with him).

I don't remember right where Guarda is, but I don't think that it's worth getting. There was some drawback I didn't like so I never used it (forgot why). There are far better swords...

Some general tips (I tried not to include any spoilers, sorry if there are any):

Always keep an eye on the rations, and keep a lot of them and restoratives. You'll need them before some chapters (I won't write when cos it'd be a spoiler). If you can't hurt some opponents (and can't get around them), maybe a poisoned or "iced" or naphtha laced weapon can. Rusalki are some of those if I remeber correctly. Save those things (especially those bandage looking things), for the fights where you really need them. Don't be suprised if a Nighthawk rises from the dead, but try to prevent that from happening by killing them all quickly, or using fire, or a spell that buries them.If you're in a dungeon, and there is a hole, go as close to the edge as possible. You should see if there's a dead end behind it or a proper corridor. That'll keep you from wasting rope (which is precious in some chapters). Oh, and if the chapter says "go to somewhere", it doesn't mean that you must go directly there. Wander around. There is no time limit on such things that I remember in the entire game.

I would give you more tips (especially about char development), but I really don't remember much of the game anymore.

Old 30-12-2004, 08:25 PM   #16
FreeFreddy

Quote:
Originally posted by MODD@Dec 30 2004, 08:57 PM
I don't remember right where Guarda is, but I don't* think that it's worth getting. There was some drawback I didn't like so I never used it (forgot why). There are far better swords...
If I recall correctly, you'll need Guarda Revanche to be able to fight Makala in the last fight. Also the demons he'll summon. Also it's a much more powerful weapon than sword of Lims Kragma is. And it's indestructible. And yes, it has a drawback. It's not made for enchanting it in the temples, but you still can. It's a bug in the game. And if you enchant it, it becomes too powerful for the game, so sometimes you'll deal negative damage to the opponents, probably healing them in the process. Just give it not to Gorath but to another one and it should be relatively fine.
Btw., all the answers to the Moredhel Lock Chests are contained in the large data file of the game. Just search there with a hex-editor for the asking sentence of the chest and you'll find the answer near it.

Old 30-12-2004, 09:24 PM   #17
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeFreddy+Dec 30 2004, 09:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FreeFreddy @ Dec 30 2004, 09:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MODD@Dec 30 2004, 08:57 PM
I don't remember right where Guarda is, but I don't* think that it's worth getting. There was some drawback I didn't like so I never used it (forgot why). There are far better swords...
If I recall correctly, you'll need Guarda Revanche to be able to fight Makala in the last fight. Also the demons he'll summon. Also it's a much more powerful weapon than sword of Lims Kragma is. And it's indestructible. And yes, it has a drawback. It's not made for enchanting it in the temples, but you still can. It's a bug in the game. And if you enchant it, it becomes too powerful for the game, so sometimes you'll deal negative damage to the opponents, probably healing them in the process. Just give it not to Gorath but to another one and it should be relatively fine.
Btw., all the answers to the Moredhel Lock Chests are contained in the large data file of the game. Just search there with a hex-editor for the asking sentence of the chest and you'll find the answer near it. [/b][/quote]
I don't remember right where Guarda is, but I don't think that it's worth getting. There was some drawback I didn't like so I never used it (forgot why).

One section was in the Elven woods, the other down in a cavern--I think, the large one under the waterfall on the eastern side of the map.

There are far better swords...

It gives a great boost to damage, and I think it may be the best thing in the game of its kind.

If I recall correctly, you'll need Guarda Revanche to be able to fight Makala in the last fight. Also the demons he'll summon.

I've played through 3 times, and Makala never summoned demons; but then my strategy was to always keep one of my two controlled NPCs next to him. If you do that, Makala can't get off any spells. The other NPC can either fire arrows, or spells, depending upon who's on point.

Wonderful game. Saw an alpha of it, reviwed the final release in a publication at the time. Raved about it. One of the few games to provide truly challenging puzzles. First "true" implementation of 3D. Excellent music score. Varying challenges in each chapter--not always "kill this" or "fedx quests." First (and thus far, only) game to adjust prices according to economic conditions. Complex plot. Great variety of items, nice descriptions. Good dialog. Involving combat. Reasonable challenges. The producer and his team at Dynamix (which was fired soon after the game appeared) deserve a great deal of the credit, though it's often given to Ray Feist--who ironically enough, sold the rights to the first title and wanted nothing more to do with it. (He only got involved heavily in Return to Krondor.)

One of my top 5 RPGs of all time.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 07-01-2005, 02:40 AM   #18
AngryAmerican

I remember when this game first came out, I was 4, I beat it a couple years later when I started gaming, and finally read every feist book up to his newer, post-serpentwar ones a few years back. Its sad looking back at how long its been since then, but I think I'm going to try it again because it is IMO one of the greatest games of all time, of any genre.

Old 01-02-2005, 06:25 AM   #19
jaytee
Lurker

First time poster here, great site by the way.

This is the first computer game I really ever got into. I had just had my wisdom teeth pulled and I was not feeling so hot so in front of the computer I sat with this game I got from the local computer store owner to keep me occupied.

It was a full retail CD of the game. Since it's been "abandoned" I am posting a link to the whole full CD. This includes a 47 MB AVI file that is an interview with Mr. Feist, and a complete game walkthrough included with the CD in case you can't find that one elusive place.

www.jtbates.net/krondor

-Jaytee
Old 08-02-2005, 09:11 AM   #20
Tuttle
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tuttle

Return To Krondor is the sequel in terms of story. Betrayal At Antara is a similar game made by Sierra, but there's no plot connection -- they're completely different worlds.
Tuttle is offline                         Send a private message to Tuttle