Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Default ISO discussion

I would like to throw this topic out there for discussion as I think it has become very relevant.

I have a handful of games that I would like to prepare and have Abandonia host. The games are CD based but are not that large. (I'm talking <= 50MB) I think they would qualify under the maximum size as it now stands. The issue is that the games won't play without the CD in the CD drive. I'm not big on ripping and cracking so I won't even attempt anything like that (not that I could). It seems that the only option would be to prepare a small ISO that would be the download instead of a zip archive. The user would then have to use a mount or burn his/her own copy.

The questions are then as follows. Does this fall under the same legal guidelines as a zip archive would? Does Abandonia not host ISOs for any other reason than their size? Would hosting small ISOs like we do zip archives be feasible? Would they be too technologically complex for the average user to comprehend?

Give me your thoughts. Admins?
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 06-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

abandonia does host isos if they'r available=)
(for example heroes omam. 1)
there's nothing illegal about a file format.. and in my opinion, isos are appreciated always more than just a rips where some stuff is missed out

so go get to work so we can get our greedy hands on your isos

Last edited by _r.u.s.s.; 06-04-2008 at 03:39 PM.
_r.u.s.s. is offline                         Send a private message to _r.u.s.s.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

There may be some rips/cracks on the site that could be replaced with ISOs. Would be nice, as you said r.u.s.s., to have sound and cutscenes when it's feasible.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Old 06-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Does this fall under the same legal guidelines as a zip archive would? Does Abandonia not host ISOs for any other reason than their size? Would hosting small ISOs like we do zip archives be feasible?
Yes, No and Yes again, in that precise order.
Quote:
Would they be too technologically complex for the average user to comprehend?
There's no definite answer for that question. Most of those who have read the beginner's guide should have no trouble learning how to use IMGMOUNT, though.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Fifth, I agree about the imgmount. The other difference with the ISO is that after download you would have to run an installation either through DOSBox or windows before the game is played. Then they would have to imgmount again to play the game. I suppose if the original manual is supplied with the game that the installation issue may not be that bad. It would probably be better if the user burned his/her own CD, when possible, instead of using imgmount even though imgmount would have better performance. We might want to have a forum discussion for newbies about what an ISO is as well as about burning ISOs and what software is available to do that.

I didn't know that Abandonia already had some ISOs on site.