Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-07-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

First my specs, PIVm (old type) @ 1.7 with 512MBram and Radeon 7500m (for mobility) with 64MBs. Windows XP home ed.

So, I was thinking over the next 2 months to buy extra memory, firt 512+256 then the month after that an extra 512 for the full 1024.
Do you think it is worth it? Will I see any good performance gain or would it be so small that I better save my money?
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 01-08-2005, 06:27 AM   #2
Apocalypse Dude
Super Freak

It will add in performance, wouldn't it be better to buy the 512 Mb upgrade in one go, it's cheaper that way.

And if your system supports Dual channel than you really notice a boost in your performance. Because if you install 2 indentical Dimms (same make, size, latency, enz...) Your system will handle them as 1 Dimm, which increases your speed incredibly....
Apocalypse Dude is offline                         Send a private message to Apocalypse Dude
Old 01-08-2005, 07:26 AM   #3
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

My notebook has only 2 slots, both of them are full with 256 dimms right now. I cannot afford to buy 2x 512 dimms in one go. So I would have to have 768 for one month, then 1024. The memory is DDR if that is what you are asking for?
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 01-08-2005, 08:04 AM   #4
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Extra RAM is always a good investment. XP will perform better, multitasking will go more smoothly, especially if you use Photoshop or any other image-manipulation program (or anything that uses really large documents)!
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 01-08-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios@Aug 1 2005, 07:26 AM
The memory is DDR if that is what you are asking for?
i think that Apocalypse Dude wasn't asking that...
You have to see if your motherboard support the dual channel memory "protocol" if yes i suggest you to wait two months (and some days) to buy a set of 2 identical Dimms like Apocalypse Dude suggested: you'll notice a boost of the performance for sure k:
Old 01-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #6
Apocalypse Dude
Super Freak

Thanks Quin, that was indeed what i had in mind
Apocalypse Dude is offline                         Send a private message to Apocalypse Dude
Old 01-08-2005, 01:19 PM   #7
Koen
Game Wizzard

Another performance boost I did in my old pc with only 256 MB of ram is putting a small harddisk (of 4 GB or something) in your pc and tell windows to put the swap file on that harddisk instead of the main harddisk. I experienced significantly shorter loading times of windows & games, and less 'stuttering' while playing games that consume a large amount of memory!
Koen is offline                         Send a private message to Koen
Old 01-08-2005, 01:22 PM   #8
Apocalypse Dude
Super Freak

But since this is prob. about a notebook that would be quite impossible
Old 01-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #9
Koen
Game Wizzard

aye soz didn't notice
Koen is offline                         Send a private message to Koen
Old 05-08-2005, 12:59 AM   #10
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

Notebooks have only one defect: available space. You can't do as much as you want with them.... Like stick 2 hard-drives in it. My computer has a rather simple socket A and I bet even if you have a 3. whatever ghz processor my 1.2 will still run faster :evil:

I don't care about the 800 fsb of laptops, nothing that I know of can handle that, not even my 400mhz 1gb stick of ram (pc3200)

But yet, notebooks/laptops are light weight, portable ect. A computer for the go, not uber game playing :bleh:
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14