Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Expack2
Game Request Hunter

Default Epic 40,000 - Final Liberation Freezes Under Windows XP

I'm currently trying to run Epic 40,000 - Final Liberation on my copy of Windows XP SP3, which is virtualized using Microsoft Virtual PC. (I also have the same copy virtualized using VMware Player, but due to incompatibility issues with older, XP-compatible games, I don't use it except when a game requires hardware acceleration.) The main problem is it freezes when it gets past the first intro video (the SSI logo), thus forcing a CTRL-ALT-DELETE and ending the game's process when it happens. Whenever it happens, it seems like the processor is being used 100% by the game alone - and the virtualized OS is only allowed to use one processor!

I hope the above contains sufficient information to aid in the troubleshooting of my problem with this game, but if any additional information is needed, I will attempt to provide it as well as I can.

EDIT: Crud, didn't see someone posted about this first...

Proud Beta Tester for Desura Since October 28, 2010

Last edited by Expack2; 12-07-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Expack2 is offline                         Send a private message to Expack2
Old 12-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Try it with 95 or 98. The game is not fully compatibile with XP.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-07-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

It's the old BINK/SMACK issue. The same (but in sound part) with WH40K: Chaos Gate.

But, unlike Chaos Gate, there is simple "fix". If you'll manage to disable all videos (it can be done through .ini), game will work perfectly in XP. But Win98 is preferred, of course.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 17-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Chaos Gate acutally can run in XP if you only install one of the patches. Install both and *poof*, broken.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

For me it was broken in two places. Famous cultist bug plus total silence overall. IDK, why. So I abandoned it long ago and played in VM under Win98.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre